Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thermal imagery

thermal imagery

Has anyone thought of adding this to thier tools? Im on the fence on buying this and able to offer this to customers. Has anyone done well with this.

I haven't added it-- have thought about it but pricey

It's not only a great diagnostic tool but a great sales tool.

I wish I had gotten mine sooner.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Quote Originally Posted by davidr View Post
    It's not only a great diagnostic tool but a great sales tool.

I wish I had gotten mine sooner.
    Do tell more....

can you post link for tool?

Here's one: http://raz-ir.com/

A search for FLIR will give others.

Do you know how much that razir is? It looks pretty cool, I think I found my next must have cant live without tool
    What cant be done correctly shouldn't be done at all

Quote Originally Posted by ryand View Post
    Do you know how much that razir is?
    Couple of months ago the "Pro" model was just north of $5k. Don't know what todays price is.

Theirs seems to be much better than others in the same price range.

If I was working, I would have bought one.

That guy was right in the video when he looks so much smarter with that tool.
    He charges 350 per inspection. What I like about this camera is that it seems smaller then the others I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by neophytes serendipity View Post
    Do tell more....
    I got the Fluke camera back in October just after I got started doing ratings.

HO's getting to see the flaws in their home and it's mechanicals goes a long way versus just telling them.
    The old "a picture is worth a thousand words" bit.

Used it this winter to help sell duct renovations and diagnose air barrier issues more than anything.
    I'm not even scratching the surface on it's potential yet.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Cool

If you google "infrared thermography" you'll get hits from Fluke, Flir, Snell, etc. Bookmark them first then go back and read. Everyone I've ever spoken with say you really should take the Level I IR Thermographer's course BEFORE buying a camera. How else would you know what features and capabilities you need? How would you feel if you bought one of those $5K cameras only to discover you really needed a $12-25K camera to do what you really want? You need the course to appreciate when and how to image subjects. For instance, when doing house surveys for breaches in the thermal envelope, it may require you to image at night when its cold outside and the heat's 'on' to get that 10*F delta T you need for a good image. If you're shooting shiney metal, you may want to spray paint it black first or wrap it with black masking tape since the bare metal reflects much heat. You can shoot breakers in a distribution panel to see if they are hot but you need current flowing to heat them up. You can shoot horse's knees to spot inflammation. You can fly in a helicopter and shoot pipelines to spot leaks or large flat commercial roofs looking for water leaks. Water intrusion is one of the fastest growing applications for IR cameras. Quite a few home inspectors carry IR cameras now.
    I'm saving up because the camera I'm told I need is about $12K. I like Fluke's Fusion technology. I got to play with one at a trade show and it is the future. You basically have a std. digital camera and IR in one. One image can be viewed in either format or on a sliding scale or 1/2 each. These cameras can be very accurate in measuring temps., too.

So, whether you're looking to find duct leaks hidden in walls, cold air infiltration points, warm air exfiltration bypasses into the attic, take measurements, or look for the heat signature of an appliance to spot a potential combustion problem, these cameras are amazing!

Do your homework online first. Talk to as many operators as you can. Take a course first if possible. Then, most importantly, you have to use it alot to realize the full potential of the camera.

HTH,
    Hearthman

www.infiltec.com go to the links and read up on IR thermography, building science, duct sealing, blower doors, etc.

IR for Freon Leaks?

Hi

Just curious if anyone has used an IR for searching for freon leaks?

It seems that there would be a significant enough of a temperature difference at the leak point to make it show up I guess.

Thanks
    Last edited by AtoZhvac; 04-04-2009 at 08:52 PM. Reason: add

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast