Breaking in the beast...

Breaking in the beast...

Bought a Char Griller "Outlaw" this week at Lowes that was an outdoor display that saw too much sun. The money saved paid for all the other trimmings...side fire box, side gas burner, LP conversion and a pro cover.

After seasoning the cast iron for 3 hours at 300+ degrees with palm oil and soldering hickory chips, I fired up my specialty---grilled salmon. I prep with olive oil and some salt and pepper, anything more would be heresy...

...about 3 minutes on each side then plate it, cover it with heavy foil for about 15 minutes to finish cooking. Even the local restaurant chefs speak my name in hushed, reverential tones when it comes to my salmon.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

YUM....lent brings out the fish lover in me...how else do i tell myself its ok to spend $20 on a nice side of fish

Yeah,...7 bucks a pound does give one pause, at least it was on sale
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

wow i caught $3500.00 worth of salmon this year.
    (if you the count heads and guts)
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Good luck with the new smoker. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to play with.

Being a New England Yankee like I am I never knew that you could cook salmon any other way than "forever". Then I went on a trip and dined with a couple from Washington State who taught me the errors of my ways.

Now I am a plank cooker and I like my salmon like I like my beef steaks.

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post

...about 3 minutes on each side then plate it, cover it with heavy foil for about 15 minutes to finish cooking. Even the local restaurant chefs speak my name in hushed, reverential tones when it comes to my salmon.]

Is the skin still on the other side? I dont buy it cause I dont know weather to leave it on or take it off.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Nice lookin grill...and what's on it too!

Does anyone ever use that side burner? Seem like it woud be a waste of gas...last grill I bought had one and I never used it...ok, maybe once. Next one won't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Is the skin still on the other side? I dont buy it cause I dont know weather to leave it on or take it off.
    if you are going to smoke it low and slow leave the skin on and down. if you are going for a quick grill i take it off and flip it halfway through.

i usually smoke my salmon and steelhead.

heres a link to a good way to do it.

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/alder-b...-recipes.asp#1
    IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    I grill the inside first, then the skin side. The skin makes a great crispy layer that you can leave on the plate or wolf down like me.

I use the side burner for pots of beans, steaming crabs or boiling crawfish.

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    anything more would be heresy...

Would a stick of melted butter with 4 cloves of crushed garlic and a half cup of soy sauce marinated and basted while on the barbie be heresy? Please report back with your verdict.
    Some people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mdharris68 View Post
    Would a stick of melted butter with 4 cloves of crushed garlic and a half cup of soy sauce marinated and basted while on the barbie be heresy? Please report back with your verdict.
    Oh no...I gotta try that one

Heresy involves gooey sauces and other like coatings

Smoked rump roast and boudin for Easter...

Nice smoker, I have one similiar to it, They are great for alot of food. I also have a small gas grill for quick grilling. I use that the most.