+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waiting for Problems

Post Likes
    Here is an install that at the time I took the photos the company would come back and fix, but , they did not and the roof is finished and I'm waiting for the summer and the problems that will happen.

On the roof above and extrs in attic below

And another on on the ground also, same job.

All done by a good company (?)

Yuma
    PS, the leg where there the day before the install.

[Edited by Boss on 12-28-2003 at 10:14 PM]
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Post Likes
    Just another good example of why the manufacturers shouldn't make systems with those damned precharged linesets.

I do believe that Scotsman shows the vertically spiraled discharge line as acceptable in their install manual. This only helps promote bad installations.

It's strange, don't you think, that the factory wants you to go to their schools for service training to qualify for warranty work, but anybody can install and the warranty is still good?

Wonder what became of the condenser legs though. Maybe they up and walked away before the guys had a chance to install 'em.

Post Likes
    Hmmm, Loonie thinks if mfr wanted air from only 1 side he wouldn't have put V shaped coil in

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    I have installed MANY ice machine condensers with the coils in the attic just as shown. I believe once you cut the line set the charge is never correct. I NEVER had one problem with coils.Keep in mind that this is factory specs and discharge and liquid moves very fast. I will bet you never have any problems.

Post Likes
    water in the flashing on first pic. might be a problem.
    you don't think that resticted airflow will affect operation?

Post Likes
    Having those big coils of copper hanging around does look pukey. But as Freeze King said they probably won't give you any trouble since the manufacturer shipped them with the system

In general however, if you are forced to use this crap you should arrange the coils so that no oil is trapped. Never have the coil in a verticle position. Flip the coil so that it will drain the oil away from any chance of a trap.

Post Likes
    Up date,
    In the top photo the condenser is sitting just 1&1/2 inch above the roofing, Problem is it gets above 120°f (air temp) in the summers around here (roof surface gets a lot hotter).

As for the coils of line their only a small oil trap, most parts are sloped ok.

The bottom photo has the condenser on the southern side and on the cement slab and its hard to see the back half is next to the wall (1 inch from it) You can also start to see the fine red dust (that the landscaping rock gives off)forming on the coil. Again when it gets hot here in a couple of months this resturant will be asking why their ice production is so low???

Yuma
    What is snow? Is it that white stuff in a freezer?

Post Likes

Grease fan next to condenser?

I hope it is an updraft fan. The grease probably doesn't help the condenser any.
    Day & Night, they're a Payne

Post Likes
    Like the unintentional low ambient control in third pic!

Post Likes
    Not to condone this install, but if you think that is an oil trap, imagine if the excess was vertical instead of horizontal. Years ago most all A/C units came with precharged tubing and the mfgs. all recommended excess be in that configuration. (strapped and supported) Then came stub kits and life was easier. Now the rest of the install is a different story. The problem I have with Ice Machines is that I can't hardly make any money on them. These restaurant supply places sell them for the same price I get them from United or other supply houses. And those whores at Hosiaki will sell direct.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Post Likes
    Originally posted by rayr
    The problem I have with Ice Machines is that I can't hardly make any money on them. These restaurant supply places sell them for the same price I get them from United or other supply houses. And those whores at Hosiaki will sell direct.
    Ray, I agree but what can we as "legitimate dealers" do about it? I remember the days when the factory or the distributor would send you their sales leads to follow up on, you would go out, make the sale, do the install and come home with a good net profit. Today, you're lucky to get an opportunity to quote a machine. When the customer is shopping around forget it. You might as well sit at home and you'll be dollars ahead.

I am refusing most warranty service calls on any machine I did not sell. I don't want the BS and I can't make any money on it anyway. I will not do installs for the local pot & pan mongers who don't have service people, period. Screw them! I am talking this up with others around the supply houses as well. If we get together and boycott the bastards, maybe there's a chance things will change.

Sorry...I'm dreaming yet again.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in