Electronic tape meaure

Do any of you use an electronic tape measure when measuring rooms of a house for heat lod calcs and if so which one do you use? Does this save much time and does it make the job easier?
    Eat a slice of Humble Pie.

I tried

I tried one some time ago, but I found that I like the tape measure better. I found myself getting incorrect measurements with the electonic one. It doesn't do well against insulation either, probably because it is not a flat object.

With a tape measure, you can't go wrong...

Get the Disto A2. It is a laser range finder. The cheap ones are ultrasonic and not very accurate. The Disto one is very accurate and very tough. We use the A3 when surveying caves, we get them wet and muddy and they still work. When we first started using it we used a tape measure too and the Disto was always correct.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I used the cheap ones I agree not worth anything. Now this was several years ago.
    If you help others then you are a Success

I use a Stanley one I got at Menard's for $89 on sale. I have never had a problem with it, and it is more accurate than a tape measure for measuring rooms with furniture and stuff in the way. It is a HUGE time saver.

I have a Leica Disto A2 and it's a big time saver. I like quality tools but I have to admit that this one is a bit overkill for what I use it for.

I have that about 17 yrs ago,may be more than that then it is out of market.Now the laser mesure came out 3 yrs ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    I use a Stanley one I got at Menard's for $89 on sale. I have never had a problem with it, and it is more accurate than a tape measure for measuring rooms with furniture and stuff in the way. It is a HUGE time saver.
    got the same one on amazon two years ago and it the gordie howe hat trick (sorry, hockey playoffs start soon)! developed with Leica, i use it for sizing out houses, line set charge additions, duct work, etc. very accurate, one of my favorite tools!
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

There is also a photo measurement system for measuring whole houses.
    You put a target on an exterior house wall and take a photo from outside. The software calculates perspective and whatnot and tells you all the dims from that one photo.

Fluke makes two awesome laser tapes, very accurate and $100/$200

Huge time saver!