Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by down2earthgeo View Post
    I'm talking about the mean earth temperature which is the temp at about 30' down which is generally consistent with groundwater temps. The temperature fluctuates above 30' by up to 40 degrees throughout the year. A good explanation including a map can be seen at http://www.geochoices.com/soil_and_g...onditions.html
    D2EG, thanks. That is some informative data that I never have seen before. I always though that earth temp was about in the 50's anywhere you are in the US - exceptions aside like flowing water and heat sources.

Should I be looking at an open loop pump and dump instead of closed loop?
    I can always replace the coil if it gets fouled. My only concern is energy efficiency. I can punch 2 holes in the ground pretty cheap considering the water table is only 30' down. Maybe 2 60' wells. I would think that being open loop the pumping costs would negate any savings that I would have hoped to get out of the geo unit.

I've got a friend with a shallow well drilling rig that I could barrow and do the whole thing myself. that would cut the project cost in half compared to a closed loop system.

Any thoughts from the geo pros?

If you pump from one well and return to another well screened at the same elevation, then you will only have to overcome the friction losses in the pipe--just like a closed loop. In addition, the low psi required for geo allows for very efficient perfectly-sized pumps. Open loops (even with pumping costs) are almost always more efficient than closed loop since the EWT is stable. Another benefit for some is access to irrigation water to reduce any water bill.

You would want to do a water quality test (maybe from a nearby well) and make sure you have a sustained yield of 1.5 gpm per ton or so. The newer Cupro/Nickel heat exchangers in heat pumps do a good job and even with marginal water quality only require flushing once a year or so.

Quote Originally Posted by protechplumbing View Post
    Should I be looking at an open loop pump and dump instead of closed loop?
    I can always replace the coil if it gets fouled. My only concern is energy efficiency. I can punch 2 holes in the ground pretty cheap considering the water table is only 30' down. Maybe 2 60' wells. I would think that being open loop the pumping costs would negate any savings that I would have hoped to get out of the geo unit.

I've got a friend with a shallow well drilling rig that I could barrow and do the whole thing myself. that would cut the project cost in half compared to a closed loop system.

Any thoughts from the geo pros?

Thanks for the info.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123