Geothermal Price Per Ton
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Geothermal Price Per Ton

I am trying to gain as much knowledge as possible about commercial HVAC geothermal technology. Has anyone had experience installing this technology and can breakdown the price to install compared to the tonnage. For example, $ per ton.

Also, how about purchasing the geothermal system? I would like to know the breakdown for the equipment per ton. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-01-2009 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Removed price.

No pricing in this forum!

sfawakeboard.

Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, Thank You.

Please read Site Rules Thank you.

Read them before posting again.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

hey cool !! This is like Catholic school. You have a red ruler. Who came up with that?

That is kind of silly??? That was my first post so like many others, I did not read the rules. I am only trying to gain knowledge about the industry and create a cost analysis. If anyone would like to discuss this topic, please email me directly at < no email addresses in post>
    Thanks and Sorry
    Last edited by beenthere; 04-01-2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Removed email address

No email addresses in post.
    Put it in your profile.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

prices are not simply "priced per ton" there are too many variable's to an installation to judge price solely on a text book install. If a ton in sand needs xx much loop field, and a ton in silty clay need xxx much loop field, how do you price that when it's the same tonnage, but needs different pipe length?

is it, 5ton single stage, is it 5ton 2 stage, is it vertical, or is it horizontal?

I would never want to try and ASSume anything price wise on an "price guide line" sheet.

If it's dry soil do i need a soaker line?

It's not a simple cost analysis for these things. I am only 36 yrs old and I figure I can install 4 Air source systems to 1 geo system in my lifetime, and still come out with a higher ROI in my lifetime. Although, with my current fuel/elec rates, it would take me 35 yrs to have any ROI on any hybrid system I install today. House is too small/tight, to have high bills period. That ends up taking forever to make up for that investment. I would save $35 a yr going A source HP, from my 93% 13 seer A/C system I have right now.

Job by job ROI analysis is the only thing i see working.
    You can't fix stupid

Thanks for the useful info cmajerus. My email has been posted

LOL cmajerus I'm only 49 years old and agree totally with you. Your comparing a furnace with A/C though. At this time Geo is more expensive and your comparison is really accurate cost wise.
    We are working on a project where the owners are going to be paying for the utilities in a muliti unit complex. The tax breaks are making the system more affordable for them. The savings comes in on the operating cost here because we are cold the majority of the year and using heat strips with the heat pumps. Geo thermal will allow the the heat pumps the operate with out the heat strips. Besides don't forget that carbon footprint lol

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    prices are not simply "priced per ton" there are too many variable's to an installation to judge price solely on a text book install. If a ton in sand needs xx much loop field, and a ton in silty clay need xxx much loop field, how do you price that when it's the same tonnage, but needs different pipe length?

is it, 5ton single stage, is it 5ton 2 stage, is it vertical, or is it horizontal?

I would never want to try and ASSume anything price wise on an "price guide line" sheet.

If it's dry soil do i need a soaker line?

It's not a simple cost analysis for these things. I am only 36 yrs old and I figure I can install 4 Air source systems to 1 geo system in my lifetime, and still come out with a higher ROI in my lifetime. Although, with my current fuel/elec rates, it would take me 35 yrs to have any ROI on any hybrid system I install today. House is too small/tight, to have high bills period. That ends up taking forever to make up for that investment. I would save $35 a yr going A source HP, from my 93% 13 seer A/C system I have right now.

Job by job ROI analysis is the only thing i see working.

Don't forget your 30% tax credit for going geo, it has a great impact on your ROI

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    Don't forget your 30% tax credit for going geo, it has a great impact on your ROI
    sfawakeboard, you wrote that you are interested in "commercial" geo. Don't know how that compares to residential, but I have both bids and ball parks that come in at two times or more the cost after tax credit and rebates of a HP with furnace. I was really hot to get geo, but reality set in after running my total energy costs versus any savings it could give me on replacing my existing. Maybe in new construction with 6 daughters that take long showers, 20 loads of wash a week,a big house with lots of windows, a desuperheater installed and I intend to stay there for many years.

Fuel cost play a big part in your rate of return. When oil was selling for $4.00/gal this past year here in the North East the ROM was pretty good. The Geo equipment is usually higher in cost then high-end equipment and then you need to add the cost of the loop field.

I'm operating out in Southern California. Electric rates are high out here and the community is rather envirmentally friendly. Many people with land ask about the geo system, but there isn't many putting them in yet. I'm considering adding it to my services. Where have some of you acquired your installation training on them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast