Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tracer Variable?

I'm working on replacing an MP581 with another flavor of Lon controller. My customer has Rover and Tracer Summit on site.

I've dug into the Rover and found the existing gpl for the controller I'm replacing. Most of it is cut and dry, but I have points that are coming into the controller as Tracer Variables. I'm assuming that I need to find in the system where these points are coming from and change them into network variables for my controller to recognize the points.

Can anyone help me out? Where do I go to find out where these tracer variables are being written to? Is a tracer variable the same thing as a network variable

A tracer variable is a point that is being passed down from a BCU through Tracer Summit programming of the MP580 editor.

So if you are removing the MP580 then you need to make BO's and AO's in summit and reference them to NV's for your new controller.

So can I go into the tracer summit and transfer the tracer variables to ao's or bo's or do I need to transfer them from the controller point they originate from?

BTW, thank you for your assistance.

Nevermind. I found it. Simple enough.

May I ask why you are replacing the 581?

Because it is bad. The device has a big black spot in the middle of the circuit board. FUBAR I presume.

I'd make sure that whatever was connected to the BOP's or the 24v power supply isn't shorted/grounded. I've never seen one burn for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mallron View Post
    I'd make sure that whatever was connected to the BOP's or the 24v power supply isn't shorted/grounded. I've never seen one burn for no good reason.
    Maybe you can give me some inside pointers how to integrate my GLD into the tracer summit system.

I've discovered the controller. I have no problems picking up my NVO's for my binary points. Everything else is a disaster.

I talked with the customer about replacing the controller with another trane controller. The answer was no and don't even consider it. So now I'm against the wall trying to make this work. Fun stuff. I know you're supposed to be able to do it, but so far, it has been challenging.

You set up all the points just like the binarys. You setup inputs and outputs to and reference them to the points of your GLD. Did you put your XIF from your device on the workstation and "associate" it with you GLD? That will make things substantially easier. If not you will have to set up the points via the variable index #, snvt type and which bit. If you are pulling in points beside temp, ppm, switch % and such you may have to do some conversion setup in your analog inputs to get them to a standard unit. There are certain types of SNVT the BCU can't deal with but the one I've come accross most is the state_64 but I highly doubt your using it. It supports 98% of the SNVTs out there so I doubt that is your issue.

No, my problem is that the points I need to pull into my controller are not compatable. I've got analog values on an MP503 that I need to bind to and I can't because the trane NVO is a polled point. Which from my understanding means that trane needs to initiate the conversation with my controller.

I can see all the data values I want in the trane system in my LNS software, but can't bind to them. I guess that is as far as tranes "open protocol" goes.

Well as far a it being open, it pretty much is. Not knowing how to work with it doesn't mean it can't be done. If I'm understanding your problem you can't bind the points you want from the 503 because they are being polled. If thats the case there are two ways around this that I can think of. One would be to get rid of the point in the Summit system that is polling the NVO of the 503. The NVO and NVI are standard SNVT types so you should be able to then bind them to your controller. The second option is to read the point from the 503 in the BCU and then send it back down to your controller via cpl and another output to your controller. If either of these options don't work out for you got me.

I think that is the answer I've been looking for. There is an AI in the summit that is viewing the nvo in the 503. I have to delete a bunch of other points just to delete that one.

The problem is that ALL the NVO's associated with the 503 analog points are polled, even though they are not being used.

I was thinking about reading the point with the BCU and setting it to an output, but I'm terrified to try to put the BCU neuron id into my lonwatcher database for fear of crashing the system.

Do you happen to have a cpl template I could use to transfer that point? I'll admit, I've never used cpl before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast