+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Anyone interested in alternative energy?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    Yes, but does it really need to be ducted? gas distribution within air will disperse evenly so theoretically the fresh air only needs to be dumped in the building, provided there are no airtight doors.
    Exactly. I would want to utilize the exhaust potential if practical, but if there was no way to do that, just having it exchanging air in one room is going to eventually benefit the entire house.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    That's ridiculous.
    It should be ridiculous but it is not. Ontario is one such jurisdiction.

Aside from bathroom exhausts, there has to be at least a suction in each room and the flow rates are dictated.

Post Likes
    20 cfm or less per exhaust, hrv pulls most of air from nearest stale air intake - sounds like a waste of materials and labour.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amd View Post
    20 cfm or less per exhaust, hrv pulls most of air from nearest stale air intake - sounds like a waste of materials and labour.
    Sure does. Exhausting from bathrooms, kitchen and maybe laundry area and dumping back to a common area such as a hallway is more then sufficient ventillation.

I hope this isn't necessary if there is a central duct system.
    Training is important!
    Practical Training is a must!

Post Likes
    Absolutely. Research should be ongoing. Commercial alternative generation sources should be connected to the national grid.

Those sources should be connected to the national grid at the expense of the owner/investors. Anytime you read about a commercial for profit wind or solar generation facility actually making a profit, it discounts the federally built transmissions line and in some cases sub station required to get that green power to the grid.

The next time you see an electric vehicle with "ZEV" in huge letters on the side ask the driver where the electricity came from. If they tell you they only buy green power, ask them how they make sure none of those electrons were produced by coal.

Where do those PV panels come from? Did the Unicorns excrete them?

I am all for alternative energy sources. I am totally against the hype that they are cheaper or the same cost as our current petroleum/coal energy.

Maybe some day they will be.

Post Likes

Anyone interested in alternative energy

Lest anyone think I'm nuts for this out of sequence reply, I was answering the thread title and had read only the very earliest posts. I didn't look at the dates and it sorts oldest first so I was reading about 3sq ft 3kw solar panels.

Newbie mistake. I still meant what I said, now back to recovering air in closed systems. What about possible methane recovery from bathroom exhaust?

Post Likes
    personally, I would LOVE to be off grid. Not tied to the utility company in anyway. I don't care to sell back my excess power, I just want the power company out of my house and my life.

The problem is, as mentioned, it's to expensive. There is no return on investment (in this country anyway) even with government rebates.

You can get PV panels down to about 60¢/watt IF you buy 20 or more panels. From the research I have done, the average panel is about $3/watt IF i do the work myself, if I contract the installation out the price jumps to (about) $9/watt.

My home will be paid off in 6 years, If I install an off grid system today, I'll be dead before I pay it off.
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    personally, I would LOVE to be off grid. Not tied to the utility company in anyway. I don't care to sell back my excess power, I just want the power company out of my house and my life.

The problem is, as mentioned, it's to expensive. There is no return on investment (in this country anyway) even with government rebates.

You can get PV panels down to about 60¢/watt IF you buy 20 or more panels. From the research I have done, the average panel is about $3/watt IF i do the work myself, if I contract the installation out the price jumps to (about) $9/watt.

My home will be paid off in 6 years, If I install an off grid system today, I'll be dead before I pay it off.
    How long ago did you look? You should be able to get panels for $1/watt now even for 1-2kw but you have to look at the voltage of the panel. Most are in the 30-50V range as they are meant for series connection and on to the grid. I am sure you can get something of quality for a good price. There is a glut on the market as the Chinese are dumping product.

Post Likes
    How long ago did you look? You should be able to get panels for $1/watt now even for 1-2kw but you have to look at the voltage of the panel. Most are in the 30-50V range as they are meant for series connection and on to the grid. I am sure you can get something of quality for a good price. There is a glut on the market as the Chinese are dumping product.
    couple weeks a go. The prices are coming down, I just don't have the money right now to do anything. it maybe the middle of summer before I can get a Wind generator.

I did find a a 50watt panal on Amazon dot com for $144

Post Likes
    The best prices are for the 200-225w panels. Below that and they are too expensive because it is the same labour as a bigger one and above 250w, they are in higher demand for grid connects. Off grid is a bit of a niche market.

Post Likes
    The best prices are for the 200-225w panels. Below that and they are too expensive because it is the same labour as a bigger one and above 250w, they are in higher demand for grid connects. Off grid is a bit of a niche market.
    Off grid for a weekend place is an even smaller niche market

I was just looking at Arista wind generators, They have a 300watt generator but I don't have any pricing yet.

Arista is the new name for Wind Tamer

Post Likes
    hmmm, can't say i know Arista but i have heard of Wind Tamer. The other option is four more batteries so the panels can charge up longer during the week. added benefit is the batteries not draining down so far so they last longer.

Post Likes
    hmmm, can't say i know Arista but i have heard of Wind Tamer. The other option is four more batteries so the panels can charge up longer during the week. added benefit is the batteries not draining down so far so they last longer.
    I will probably go with two 6v 1050Ah batteries at my cabin these are for Tractor Trailers who have to run there a/c without idling the truck. (NYS law prevents Tractors from idling for more than 15 minutes) supposedly these batteries will run a 12v a/c for up to 20 hours. I guess we will see.

I want another 300watts of solar and a 300 watt generator with a Xantrex C60 Charge controller. If I go with this set up I can run a Full size refrigerator 24/7 in the summer anyway

Post Likes

Post Likes
    interesting,

Germany installed more than twice the solar power that the entire U.S. has in the past 30 years. Based on figures from the Energy Information Administration (EIA), Craig Morris estimates that for the U.S. to risk exceeding its peak power demand with solar PV, it would need more than 300,000 megawatts of installed PV.

I have no doubt that European's are way ahead of America when it comes to alternative energy. But that figure above, is enough power to light up NYC for a month. There is no way that will ever happen here.

another problem with AE here is, the power companies are not really 'cooperative' when it comes to codes and installation.

I guess we will just muddle through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in