+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flare nut wrenches

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    how would this make a difference?

do I buy refrigeration flare nut wrenches and plumbing flare nut wrenches or are flare nut wrenches just for refrigeration?

the nuts I use them in are for oil, so 3/8" soft copper type.

educate me.
    "Refrigeration" flare nuts are also known as long shoulder flare nuts, better sealing when tightened.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrL_Brann View Post
    Pardon my ignorance,but I have never used them.I am looking for some to purchase and would like to know what/where to get some at.I would use them on flare nuts sizes 1/4 all the way up to 3/4. I have read where now you have to have metric ones as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are regular flare nut wrenches and there are Kwik Tite ratcheting wrenches. Check the following thread. Also a video

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=251752
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    I have full flare sets in Metric and SAE, they don't fit snug enough on oil and refrigerant fittings, auto service fittings yes. I keep an adjustable/hammer set for everyday use, for flares a 6", 8" and 10" set. I snug the wrench onto the fitting and rock it back and forth slightly while tightening it. Make sure the wrench is in the right direction before turning.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    how would this make a difference?

do I buy refrigeration flare nut wrenches and plumbing flare nut wrenches or are flare nut wrenches just for refrigeration?

the nuts I use them in are for oil, so 3/8" soft copper type.

educate me.
    He's talking about the flare nuts, not wrenches.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icehouse View Post
    "Refrigeration" flare nuts are also known as long shoulder flare nuts, better sealing when tightened.
    I thought refrigeration flare nuts had a short shoulder, compared to plumbing flare nuts. That was to prevent ice build up between the shoulder and the piping and causing the ice to crush the piping when it froze. Am I wrong?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    I thought refrigeration flare nuts had a short shoulder, compared to plumbing flare nuts. That was to prevent ice build up between the shoulder and the piping and causing the ice to crush the piping when it froze. Am I wrong?
    Please read: http://www.jbind.com/catalog/Page_45...07_catalog.pdf
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrL_Brann View Post
    I will admit that I have used adjustables every since I have started in this field,I have buggared up a few fittings but I have not done that in years.I have been going behind the fireplace installers fixing their gas leaks and the adjustables are tuff to get in there.
    I have always used adjustables or regular wrenches but what is funny is I was cleaning out the garage this weekend and found a brand new set of craftsman flare wrenches that I bought 10 yrs ago and never used. They are now in my truck and gonna try em out

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in