Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by icehouse View Post
    At a seminar by Muller they explained how "Flare Nut Wrenches" apply pressure to all six points of the flare nut, while everything else only applied it to two points.
    True and like everyone else has said, buy good quality, or you will be disappointed. I've tried the cheaper ones and you might as well not even have them.

Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    like he said

snap on matco mac all your auto tool guys have them. even craftsman

i have them in my toolbox in the garage. never needed them in the field though.

we need to get a brew sometime chrl
    Most definatley,need to grab a few frosties and catch up.

All this info to sort through over line wrenches. I suspect some are blaming the wrench on leaking fittings. While wrenches from a good manufacturer and ones designed to grab the flats of the fitting instead of the corners are much better. Over tightening the fitting is worse than to loose. If the fitting is too tight than more than likely it has been damaged in the process and if it does seal it probably will no seal if taken apart in the future. Lubricate the fitting at minimum use refer oil on it, better yet use a product designed for refer fittings like nylog (this stuff is awesome and it does not dry). I have found that with proper lubrication, fittings do not leak even when just tightened a little past snug.
    "It's always controls"

I asked this before in a similar thread and got no response, so I will try again.

does anyone else notice that the newer flare nuts are neither metric or standard!! maybe it is just the cheap s*^t they are buying!

seems like they are in between. I have flare wrenches and regular open end wrenches and with either tool, they are loose. I end up having to use adjustable/crescent wrenches.

I will admit that I have used adjustables every since I have started in this field,I have buggared up a few fittings but I have not done that in years.I have been going behind the fireplace installers fixing their gas leaks and the adjustables are tuff to get in there.

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    I asked this before in a similar thread and got no response, so I will try again.

does anyone else notice that the newer flare nuts are neither metric or standard!! maybe it is just the cheap s*^t they are buying!

seems like they are in between. I have flare wrenches and regular open end wrenches and with either tool, they are loose. I end up having to use adjustable/crescent wrenches.
    The problem is that no one seems to carry "refrigeration" flare nuts. Yes there is such a thing and when still in the field I always asked for them. Answer "Company will order them for you plus shipping".
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

The problem is that no one seems to carry "refrigeration" flare nuts. Yes there is such a thing and when still in the field I always asked for them. Answer "Company will order them for you plus shipping".
    how would this make a difference?

do I buy refrigeration flare nut wrenches and plumbing flare nut wrenches or are flare nut wrenches just for refrigeration?

the nuts I use them in are for oil, so 3/8" soft copper type.

educate me.

do I buy refrigeration flare nut wrenches and plumbing flare nut wrenches or are flare nut wrenches just for refrigeration?

educate me.
    "Refrigeration" flare nuts are also known as long shoulder flare nuts, better sealing when tightened.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrL_Brann View Post
    Pardon my ignorance,but I have never used them.I am looking for some to purchase and would like to know what/where to get some at.I would use them on flare nuts sizes 1/4 all the way up to 3/4. I have read where now you have to have metric ones as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There are regular flare nut wrenches and there are Kwik Tite ratcheting wrenches. Check the following thread. Also a video

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=251752
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

I have full flare sets in Metric and SAE, they don't fit snug enough on oil and refrigerant fittings, auto service fittings yes. I keep an adjustable/hammer set for everyday use, for flares a 6", 8" and 10" set. I snug the wrench onto the fitting and rock it back and forth slightly while tightening it. Make sure the wrench is in the right direction before turning.

educate me.
    He's talking about the flare nuts, not wrenches.

"Refrigeration" flare nuts are also known as long shoulder flare nuts, better sealing when tightened.
    I thought refrigeration flare nuts had a short shoulder, compared to plumbing flare nuts. That was to prevent ice build up between the shoulder and the piping and causing the ice to crush the piping when it froze. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    I thought refrigeration flare nuts had a short shoulder, compared to plumbing flare nuts. That was to prevent ice build up between the shoulder and the piping and causing the ice to crush the piping when it froze. Am I wrong?
    Please read: http://www.jbind.com/catalog/Page_45...07_catalog.pdf

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast