Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 27
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greenville,North Carolina
    Posts
    1,902

    Flare nut wrenches

    Pardon my ignorance,but I have never used them.I am looking for some to purchase and would like to know what/where to get some at.I would use them on flare nuts sizes 1/4 all the way up to 3/4. I have read where now you have to have metric ones as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,448
    Try line wrenches. Ebay search had 107 hits.
    "It's always controls"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Greenville,North Carolina
    Posts
    1,902
    Quote Originally Posted by skwsproul View Post
    Try line wrenches. Ebay search had 107 hits.
    Thanks man,no wonder I won't getting anywhere.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    720
    It depends on what you are using them on as to the quality but I have tried the cheap ones and Mac Tools or Snap On are the ones you should get if money is no problem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    like he said

    snap on matco mac all your auto tool guys have them. even craftsman

    i have them in my toolbox in the garage. never needed them in the field though.

    we need to get a brew sometime chrl
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Near Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,316
    Get Snap-On if you want good ones.

    Craftsman are OK, but not as good- they spread open more easily.

    I bought Craftsman first, then had to get Snappy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    190
    Dont forget S-K. I have a set of their open end racheting wrenches and they are top notch. I dont even need flare nut wrenches but now I want to buy them
    "Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential"

    Winston Churchill

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Veterans Home Yaphank, NY
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    like he said

    snap on matco mac all your auto tool guys have them. even craftsman

    i have them in my toolbox in the garage. never needed them in the field though.

    we need to get a brew sometime chrl
    Then what do you use on flare fittings ? Please don't tell me "Adjustables"
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    120

    Huh?

    Hope you're not "exercising" all of your flares with regular or crescent style wrenches....I've had to fix a lot of buggered-up fittings after such brutality.
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    like he said

    snap on matco mac all your auto tool guys have them. even craftsman

    i have them in my toolbox in the garage. never needed them in the field though.

    we need to get a brew sometime chrl

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Rapid City, SD
    Posts
    7,403
    That's why I prefer a pair of channel locks for the flare nuts... lets you customize the distortion!

    I have 3-4 sets of flare wrenches, all mine, company doesn't think they are necessary. I'll admit I've used adjustable's on them before, and regular wrenches too, never had a leak from them, but I try to do that only in the no other option times.

    Somebody posted a link to a wrench that is a full box end, but opens up on a hinge... I'd like to get me a set of them someday.
    *edit* haha, look at that, very next thread!
    click me for the next thread
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

    VETO PRO PAC, The Official Tool Bag of HVAC-Talk.com

    Testo... you guys rule!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,110
    Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    That's why I prefer a pair of channel locks for the flare nuts... lets you customize the distortion!

    I have 3-4 sets of flare wrenches, all mine, company doesn't think they are necessary. I'll admit I've used adjustable's on them before, and regular wrenches too, never had a leak from them, but I try to do that only in the no other option times.

    Somebody posted a link to a wrench that is a full box end, but opens up on a hinge... I'd like to get me a set of them someday.
    *edit* haha, look at that, very next thread!
    click me for the next thread

    I've got a set of these hinge style but they are Imperial, they were my fathers they got a good 35-40 years on them.... But I have to admit most of the time I use 2 adjustable's on driers and have never fu@%ed up a flare nut or had a leak..... That I know of.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Outside The Motor City
    Posts
    666
    my first set was snap-on ,the set was a throw-in when I bought my first roll box.
    The best thing I like about them is the rounded corners in the flats they give you more even tourqe on the flats of the nut.
    NO Brains NO Headaches

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Veterans Home Yaphank, NY
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by Dchappa21 View Post
    I've got a set of these hinge style but they are Imperial, they were my fathers they got a good 35-40 years on them.... But I have to admit most of the time I use 2 adjustable's on driers and have never fu@%ed up a flare nut or had a leak..... That I know of.
    At a seminar by Muller they explained how "Flare Nut Wrenches" apply pressure to all six points of the flare nut, while everything else only applied it to two points.
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event