Thread: New system info

New system info

Hey guys I need some help with a few questions, hopefully someone can shed some light on my limited knowledge with hvac. First off, my current system took a dump (12+ yr old york heat pump)and I have been getting some estimates on a new pump and inside air handler. I've had a couple guys give me a quote on a Trane 4 ton xl15i heat pump matched up with a 4tee3f49b1000a air handler. One of the two individuals is fairly clueless on the whole fed rebate issue but the other states this system will qualify. $1500 plus some more help from the local utility sounds pretty good at this point considering the fact that I'm looking at spending close to k after the whole tax bit. After a little negotiation with him on the finer points of the proposed deal he has a revelation and says he needs to get online and make sure this system meets the criteria for the rebate. This takes me by surprise cause he already said it would. Several minutes later he calls back and says that we need to step it up to a 5 ton air handler in order to get the rebate.
    For an additional $ he says the deal is done. When considering someone else's opinion that a 4 ton system might be more than I needed for my house (1900 sq ft split level), I question whether this guy is being up front with me. I told him I thought this was probably overkill for my situation and his response was "we can modify the airhandler to meet the proper apllication."
    The questions I have are: Is this guy beeing up front with me about the rebate specs and does the 5 ton air handler seem over the top coupled with the xl15i? I like the idea of a rebate but I want a system that is efficient as well. Please give me some feedback on what you think and in advance I thank you for your time!

<No prices in post>
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-30-2009 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Removed prices

First of all even with the 4TEE3F65 air handler, the system will not make the required EER rating that the goverment has set for the energy rebate. I am a Trane dealer, and I looked and there is no four ton heat pump combination that meets the requirments. You should have a good HVAC company do a load calculation on your home and confirm the size of equipment you need.

Did the contractors measure your home and do a load calculation? Proper equipment sizing is really important.
    As far as the rebates are concerned, it is not unusual to need a 5 ton AH to achieve the necessary efficiency to qualify.
    Anything I say here is only my opinion. Even if you understood what I said.... What I said may not even be what I meant.

Yes the gentleman in question did some room measurements and supposidly a load calculation to arrive at the choice of equipment. He quoted 16.5 seer and 9 hspf using the xl15i. I'm confused shouldn't that qualify, or are his numbers bogus?

Quote Originally Posted by timz View Post
    Yes the gentleman in question did some room measurements and supposidly a load calculation to arrive at the choice of equipment. He quoted 16.5 seer and 9 hspf using the xl15i. I'm confused shouldn't that qualify, or are his numbers bogus?
    For a split-system heat pump to qualify: 15 SEER, 12.5 EER, 8.5 HSPF. All 3 criteria must be met.

A 4TWX5048 4-ton 15i heat pump matched with 4TEE3F49 air handler (from your initial post) is ARI# 1385065: rated at 14.25 SEER, 11.8 EER, 8.7 HSPF. This does not qualify for the Federal Tax Rebate.

Here's the link:
    http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...tax_credits#c3

Here's the Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute data base:
    www.AHRIDirectory.org

Good luck.

Thanks for the info, this gives me some leads on where to go from here.

Tim