Thread: help furnace/ac problem

Post Likes

help furnace/ac problem

hey everyone

im about to go to my cousins house, because he called me and told me about a problem he is having

ive never heard of it before maybe some of you have

His furnace blower will not shut off, and his air conditioner keeps turning on, while his stat is set to heat

any ideas on where to start? maybe its posible that the stat wire was shorted or something from a screw?

thanks
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    possibly.....

what do you do for a living?

have you read the site rules?
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    im a gas fitter with minimal experience

worked with an hvac company, doing installations only so my experience with service calls isnt very deep

i have read the site rules

im just looking for some information, like maybe it is something that i have never thought of? i dont know, i just thought i would ask for help

but if i dont get any then i understand

thanks

Post Likes
    It could be a number of things. You're probably not gonna get much help on here. Homeowners can read the posts. My advice is to have him call out somebody or you call somebody from where you work at to fix the problem. If you don't know or are unsure of what you're doing, you could cost your cousin more money than he would have spent in the first place calling somebody qualified out to fix it.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    is there any tips at all that i could have? like the most possible thing that i thought of was that the stat wire could have been hit by a screw, because i know he had someone come in and drywall his whole basement during his reno's

is that a possibility?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pfaiazza View Post
    is there any tips at all that i could have? like the most possible thing that i thought of was that the stat wire could have been hit by a screw, because i know he had someone come in and drywall his whole basement during his reno's

is that a possibility?
    if thats the case... it sure is a great possibility...

start checking there with a meter.

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    will do

i guess that really was the main question i was asking, whether or not that was a possibility, sorry if i phrased it wrong, i think i kind of wrote it like i wanted you to do the service call

thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pfaiazza View Post
    will do

i guess that really was the main question i was asking, whether or not that was a possibility, sorry if i phrased it wrong, i think i kind of wrote it like i wanted you to do the service call

thanks
    With control systems, anything is possible if the electrons make their way to the right place. Condensor units don't start on their own.

Get out the wiring diagrams and volt meter and start with basic trouble shooting.

Good luck!

Post Likes
    let us know how you make out when you get back!

Post Likes
    Maybe, its a dual fuel system.

And its a more series problem.

Have a service tech from your company help you.

Sorry, this is not a DIY site. So we are not allowed to give out DIY advise of this nature.
    So answering your question in the open Residential Forums would be posting DIY instruction for DIYers that may read this post later.

If your in the trade, get your post count up to 15, and apply for Pro Membership.
    Once accepted, you have access to the pro tech forums. Where you can ask and get answers to technical questions.

Plus, you also have access to the Pro Education Forums.

All of it is free.

Thread closed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in