Compressor Cleanup, Opinions Please...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Compressor Cleanup, Opinions Please...

Ok here we go.. For some dumb reason I megged my own personal a/c compressor, guess I was bored. Anyhow Its in the caution zone but is still operational. I just looking for opinions on what I should do for clean up, its only about 7 years old I didnt install so possible sloppy practices could be a contributing factor, but the damage is already done. Anyhow my thoughts were changing the oil in the compressor, change the liquid line drier and adding a suction drier, and give it an all night pump down, cross my fingers and hope for the best. Anyone have any ideas ? I also thought of adding bottle of acid away, but I have not tested the oil to date. Whats the longest anyone has seen a compressor run in a borderline condition ? I generally dont meg much, whats the point, people arnt going to replace it unless it blows...you know the drill...

This sounds a little technical for open forum. If you are in the biz, apply for the pro section and ask this over there.

If your familiar with megohming, it is sorta a dark science. A short\open is easy to find. Trend analysis is the norm for insulation and motor readings. For example, was the reading taken after 60 seconds, what temp etc. Cant be more specific here. Bottom line, what IS a caution zone? Remember, look at the manufactures spec's and compensate for time and temp..

I certianly is a hard sell to make. But the more times you offer to replace it, eventually a customer will do it. Or at least thats what i've heard

Is it a nice top of the line system or just a bargain basement clunker? Personally if it were mine and it wasn't a really nice system, I would just run it till it blows and then replace it with a nice new system. Maybe I would pump it down and put a liquid line filter/dryer on (or change it if it already has one). I would never go as far as changing the oil or using any kind of acid treatment.

I agree with Craig1's thoughts of run it till it goes.
    As it's 7 years old, even if a higher end model,it is now behind in current efficiency ratings,so why replace compressor.

As far as what to do, I'd likely change the drier and possibly put acid away in the system,with a good complete evac.
    GO DAWGS!

I don't check with a megger all the time but occasionally I do. I have a customer with a compressor that first tested borderline with a megger 12 years ago, it's still running, hasn't even needed a start capacitor added, and not getting any worse. I have others test borderline and be burnt out in days. If it was mine, and I was just wanting to use it as a learning opportunity, I would do an acid test and check the run amps. Then I would decide if I wanted to try a new drier and/or some "antacid".
    Anything I say here is only my opinion. Even if you understood what I said.... What I said may not even be what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen260B View Post
    I certianly is a hard sell to make. But the more times you offer to replace it, eventually a customer will do it. Or at least thats what i've heard
    Or they will get tired of you trying to sell them a new compressor/condenser, and use another company for both service, and install later.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Coolerguy.

You have enough post, apply for pro membership.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Coolerguy.

You have enough post, apply for pro membership.
    Is Robo out of Tequila again?

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Is Robo out of Tequila again?
    I get 10% comission from him. LOL
    Contractor locator map

Then replace the 7 year old unit anyway this summer when it really dies.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-29-2009 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Too much info
    You sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim.

zach.

Although you were sarcastic about repairing it.

It was too much info for the open forum.

Currently, I'm only leaving the thread open, so the OP can report his decision.
    Contractor locator map

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast