Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    70

    Belt size formula

    Does anyone know of a formula for calculating belt size? I know the span center to center and both sheave diameters. I have always used a peice of string to measure total distance and it gets me in the ballpark but I've always wondered if there was a more accurate way. Thanks................Scott

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,340
    Quote Originally Posted by trane_stud View Post
    Does anyone know of a formula for calculating belt size? I know the span center to center and both sheave diameters. I have always used a peice of string to measure total distance and it gets me in the ballpark but I've always wondered if there was a more accurate way. Thanks................Scott
    Belt Length = 2C + 1.57 x (D1 + D2) + 1"

    C = The distance between the motor and fan shafts
    D1 = The diameter of the small pulley
    D2 = The diameter of the large pulley

    Formula has worked great for me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    State College, PA
    Posts
    17
    Try this. It is a Java calculator.

    http://www.csgnetwork.com/pulleybeltcalc.html

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth\Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,708
    I also have a little computer program I wrote a few years ago for this. If your interested I can send it to you.
    Go Rangers!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,483
    Quote Originally Posted by lwarren View Post
    I also have a little computer program I wrote a few years ago for this. If your interested I can send it to you.
    I believe the belt sizing program we have in the Educational Forums is yours, is it not?:

    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=183196

    I've used it numerous times on the job. It works quite well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Fort Worth\Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,708
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I believe the belt sizing program we have in the Educational Forums is yours, is it not?:

    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=183196

    I've used it numerous times on the job. It works quite well.
    Well it certainly is! My apologies, I knew Lusker or someone had made it available a long time ago but I did not know it was still on the site.

    Glad to hear someone was able to get some use out of it.
    Go Rangers!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event