Need advice about replacing A/C. Please.

I could really use some A/C system advice because I am about to replace my entire system-except existing 8 yr. old Trane furnace/blower-and my knowledge on this subject is fairly limited. Any advice or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.
    I have a 2200sq. ft. 3/2 home with a fair amount of shade in the Houston, TX area. I have decided to go with a 14 seer Trane unit and all new R8 ductwork. I was just able to find out the model # is 4TTR 4048-using 410 (I think). I have been told that a 4 ton unit is all I need and was hoping if someone could tell me:
    1. Does a 4 ton unit sound right?
    2. Is that Trane model good?
    3. Does this qualify for a tax credit/rebate?
    Also, they suggested I have them install an Aprilaire 2410 filter system. We do have a dust probem and my wife has allergies so I was wondering if this was a good idea?

Thanks to anyone kind enough to provide some insight into this matter.

1. Only a load calc will tell
    2. Yes
    3. No
    4. The Aprilaire is a good move

We have some members in Houston plus I know a firm. Look for classical, MrBillPro, JasonHoustonTX. I know the owners of Doctor Cool.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it much. tim

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I'd look for one that gets the tax credit.

Adding a better filter usually requires larger return ducts,if they didn't mention this,ask about it.

Why replace all the ducts??

if you have a dust problems you should seal the supply boxes
    at the ceiling and seal the return air also.
    if your return air is on the ceiling caulk from inside the return
    if you have a chase..use ductboard to make airtight.
    make sure that ducts are mastic sealed when new ducts are installed.
    I would save april aire $$ as a tradeoff for better duct and return sealing.
    are you doing any other improvements?
    caulking and air sealing the house will require less tonnage
    and should be done before adding insulation to attic
    best of luck.
    best of luck
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Dash, I bought this house as a foreclosure and most of the ducts were ripped and torn and R4 or R6 and generally in bad shape. I feel I got a very good price on new R8 and a couple of the runs are fairly long so I thought this would be a good idea. Am I wrong in wanting to do this? Also, there looks to be plenty of room to add the Aprilaire and they are also adding another return air in my living room(it has vaulted ceilings and very little insulation) to help with the air flow. Although I would like the more efficient unit and the tax break, I am on a limited budget and question the benefit of paying extra for it. ?
    Thanks for the reply!

If the ducts are in bad shape and not sealed and missized I would fix the ducts if a tax credit isnt involved, since it is you'll have to make a decision on payback between the two.

Could you do a go between and buy a r6 insulated duct system and squeek in a few more bucks for the higher system?

How bad is the existing ducts? Did they perform a duct test or is this just a visual assesment?
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Energy,
    We are planning on adding new insulation after the AC install because the old duct is haphazardly strown about the attic and not hung. I also plan to seal any holes/cracks or leaks I can find. The contractor said they "hard" seal all seams and joints. I'm assuming they use some type of mastic. Thanks for reminding to check return seal/caulking. I need to do all I can cause my attic is not well ventilated yet-it only has a couple of simple turbines, but I plan to add ridge vents when I can.

Does anyone know the approximate difference in price between the 14seer I'm looking at versus one that is eligible for the tax break?

Thanks to all!

Quote Originally Posted by timmw View Post
    Energy,

Does anyone know the approximate difference in price between the 14seer I'm looking at versus one that is eligible for the tax break?

Thanks to all!
    I dont think we're aloud to answer that one here
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Quote Originally Posted by timmw View Post

Thanks to all!
    Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, Thank You.

Please read Site Rules Thank you

Thats a question we're not allowd to answer.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Sorry about the price difference question. Guess I am just trying to decide if paying extra for the unit that qualifies for a tax break is worth it. Great site! I am very grateful for all the help!

The April aire is really nice, However if ya want the best, get the Trane clean effects, it's a tad pricy but well worth it if your thinking about air quality, Also have your ducts cleaned and sealed (if possible) for cleaning the ducts look for a company that uses the rotobrush, other duct cleaning methods are ok as well but the roto brush is a little more spicific in nature and does a better job in my oppinion, IF your ducts are sealed and clean, and IF your load calk is correct then 4 ton is fine, You have to ask your HVAC company about that one. And one more thing, ask them about the 16 I before ya make your final decition.
    Hope that helps.