Trane vs Lennox heat pumps

We are debating between the Lennox XP16 4 ton heat pump vs the Trane XL16i heat pump. It will be a dual fuel system for both and they are around the same price. Are there any opinions on these brands or models? We like the Trane dealer, but feel that the size and efficiency of the Lennox might be better for the price. Is it usually recommended to get the extended warranty covering all parts and labor? Thank you.

Look at all the numbers. SEER, EER, HSPF, heating BTUs. The XL16i tends to be light on HSPF and heating capability.

I'd sure want an extended warranty but be sure it is backed by the manufacturer or Equiguard, not the dealer.

pinatas

Be aware that neither Trane's XL16i or Lennox's XP16 has a qualifying configuration for the tax credit in a four ton system.

TD

tigerdunes,
    Wow, thanks for that input. We were going based on the fact that these were high efficiency heat pumps. I will have to contact the dealers. The Lennox dealer also priced it with a 95% efficient gas furncace (G61MPV-60C-091) so maybe this falls under the rebate? I am looking it up right now. Do you know of similar sized heat pumps by Trane or Lennox that do meet the tax credit? We like the dealers, although after reading posts, I'm wondering if I should also find a Bryant dealer?!

They are both High eff. The issue is whether or not there is a qualifying ARI # for a given piece of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by pinatas View Post
    tigerdunes,
    Wow, thanks for that input. We were going based on the fact that these were high efficiency heat pumps. I will have to contact the dealers. The Lennox dealer also priced it with a 95% efficient gas furncace (G61MPV-60C-091) so maybe this falls under the rebate? I am looking it up right now. Do you know of similar sized heat pumps by Trane or Lennox that do meet the tax credit? We like the dealers, although after reading posts, I'm wondering if I should also find a Bryant dealer?!
    The 95% efficient furnace falls under the tax rebate.

For a heat pump to meet the tax rebate efficiency standards: 15 SEER, 12.5 EER, 8.5 HSPF. All 3 must be met.

Here's the link for the Tax Credits: http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...tax_credits#c3

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I'd sure want an extended warranty but be sure it is backed by the manufacturer or Equiguard, not the dealer.

I'm hearing Equiguard is 120 days with some companies. Be very carefull!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

We find them running more like 60 days, never had any 120 days. But beats having an irate customer because their late model furnace needed a $300 repair and judging from reliability of today's HVAC stuff, it's getting pretty common!

thanks for your help

Thanks for all your help. I think it seems as though there is no strong opinion re: Trane or Lennox. I told the Trane dealer about the 16i not falling under the government refund, which after checking, he realized wasn't. His rep I believe told him wrong, and so is going to add in the 95% eff. furnace at no additional cost in order for us to get the refund. This was probably a good thing we told him, so that a lot of customers aren't upset at the end of the year when they can't get the rebate.

Thanks so much for all your help!