Confused Venting Issue!!!!

I have a problem! I was looking at a 4 suite apartment today and it needs (4) furnaces and (4) hotwater tanks replaced. Well the old furnaces and hotwater tanks was removed and all was located in the basement. In the basement I notice that there was (4) cold air drops on the walls, (2) for upstairs and (2) for downstairs which I know when I install the new one's that I would have to tie each one to the new furnaces. But here is my problem!

There are (2) chimmenys. One was loaded with (2) furnaces and (2) hotwater tanks for the first floor and the second floor also the same setup for the other chimmeny. I looked inside each one and notice that it had a clay liner and the opening was maybe large enough for maybe a 5.5 chimminey liner if that for each! My question is:

A) Since there is a clay liner in there is that considered grandfathered in and I don't have to drop a chimminey liner in?

B) Drop a chimminey liner down and then figure out away to tie in the (2) furnaces and (2) hotwater tanks to each chimminey?

C) Talk the owner into getting 90% furnaces so I can only worry about the hotwater tanks LOL!!!!

Did I mention that the furnaces will be 75,000 btu's and the hotwater tanks will be 40 gallons. With that said there will be 230,000 btu's in each chimminey. Which reads on my chimminey liner chart of me having to use a 7" liner!!! which will not fit!!!

PLEASE IS THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THIS MATTER!!!

Thanks!

Do a load calc, and see it you can use 50,000, or 40,000 BTU furnaces.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Do a load calc, and see it you can use 50,000, or 40,000 BTU furnaces.
    Ok, what if its 50,000 BTU how would I vent (2) Furnaces and (2) Hotwater tanks into one chimmeny if I had to use a liner with the basement having limited space for some kind of conector?

put in 95% percent eff furnaces and get a tax break from our president obama ! I think that they are giving back $1500 for energy eff equiptment. if you put those furnaces in the you wouldnt have to vent it throught the chimeny! do the load calc first and see what your options are!

http://www.hartandcooley.com/vent/si...on%20guide.pdf

This is an application guide for chimneys, just a quick glance at one of the charts, without knowing rise, ect. A 5 " liner 20' high, with 1' of connector rise, would get around 150K of capacity for forced draft equipment. If I could not convince them to switch to HE furnaces, maybe switch to power vented water heaters out the wall instead. Of course the energy savings would be with HE furnaces, but if cost is an issue WH's may be the cheaper power vented choice. Or switch to electric WH's
    You can't fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by cmajerus View Post
    http://www.hartandcooley.com/vent/si...on%20guide.pdf

This is an application guide for chimneys, just a quick glance at one of the charts, without knowing rise, ect. A 5 " liner 20' high, with 1' of connector rise, would get around 150K of capacity for forced draft equipment. If I could not convince them to switch to HE furnaces, maybe switch to power vented water heaters out the wall instead. Of course the energy savings would be with HE furnaces, but if cost is an issue WH's may be the cheaper power vented choice. Or switch to electric WH's
    Thanks!!! Both you and Relay101 came up with some good ideals I never thought about using electric hotwater tanks!!! Thanks that's way I love this site!!! I can always get good advice from you guy's!!!

5.5" liner should be big enough then.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Like Relay said the tax break should bring the cost of the 90 2stg v speed furnace within a couple of hundred dollars of putting in a straight 90. I just sold a high end one because of that.