Thread: Windows

Windows

Thanx to you guys I know that windows are super important and we have two that have gone bad (one seal and the other cracked).

We are gonna replace two of our double hung windows before summer and need some suggestions, and then the remainder next year.

There are so many manufacturers out there and its so different that HVAC companies.

I know some of you guys really know not only about HVAC but the entire house's skin. So my question to the knowing is, what are the companies that make the best vinyl windows.

My research says, Eagle, Simonton, Marvin, Certainteed, Andersen, Peachtree tend to stand out as best

Pella, Jen-Weld, are overated

Please PM me w/any suggestions and they'll be appreciated
    Thanx
    AG

I recently installed Burris sliding glass doors, sold under the Certainteed umbrella, in my house. They are performing well. We looked at the Champion line of windows, liked the product, but did not like the pricing structure. Amerimax is also worth a look, if they're available in your area.
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by AvantGarde View Post

Please PM me w/any suggestions and they'll be appreciated
    Thanx
    AG
    Only pro Members have PM privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If you are going to repalce your double hung windows with a vinyl window one of the best on the Market is the Jeld-Wen Summit brand. They are energy star rated and have a lifetime parts and labor warranty which means if anything ever goes wrong it will not cost you a thing. If you are going to replace the windows with a clad unit then the Eagle Windows are pretty good but do look a little blocky on the inside trim detail. Depending on what style of house you have that may not be a huge deal, they go well in a craftsman style house. If you are looking for a window that has more trim detail on the inside around the sash I would look at the Jeld Wen Custom line. All of the above windows meet energy star reguirements as long as your supplier includes Low-E glass as a standard. If you need to know what windows perform well in your climate shoot me a message and I will let you know what glass options you need to use in order to meet the reguirements in your are. Just because you go to a website of a manufacturer and they have a energystar label does not mean that every window meets the reguirements. Let me know if you have any questions. been in the business for years and will help you out with anything that you may need.

We live near Tupelo MS

Quote Originally Posted by BengalfanMT View Post
    If you are going to repalce your double hung windows with a vinyl window one of the best on the Market is the Jeld-Wen Summit brand. They are energy star rated and have a lifetime parts and labor warranty which means if anything ever goes wrong it will not cost you a thing. If you are going to replace the windows with a clad unit then the Eagle Windows are pretty good but do look a little blocky on the inside trim detail. Depending on what style of house you have that may not be a huge deal, they go well in a craftsman style house. If you are looking for a window that has more trim detail on the inside around the sash I would look at the Jeld Wen Custom line. All of the above windows meet energy star reguirements as long as your supplier includes Low-E glass as a standard. If you need to know what windows perform well in your climate shoot me a message and I will let you know what glass options you need to use in order to meet the reguirements in your are. Just because you go to a website of a manufacturer and they have a energystar label does not mean that every window meets the reguirements. Let me know if you have any questions. been in the business for years and will help you out with anything that you may need.
    Which is just SE of Mempho.
    I want to windows that qualify for the tax cred, below .30 on both categories

I've read from actual contractors that the Big Box Stores windows, typically will last 10-12 years, depending on installation.

I'm wanting something to last longer, keep out the weather and give good bang for the buck.

I had Certainteed Low E2 with argon gas installed in my custom home two years ago. Lifetime warranty. Had to get four replaced because of bad seals. Had fogging. However, no issues with the company or contractor. Replaced with no fuss no muss. No problems since. I'm told if they fail again for any reason, just call and they'll be replaced no charge.
    "Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace through our Lord Jesus Christ.." (Romans 5:1)

compare solar heat gain coefficients (SHGC) of less than .35
    these #'s common to all windows independently rated by NFRC.
    the highest SHGC's are for metal clad windows, because heat transfers from the frame ( causing condensation ) to the glass.
    low e glass helps but better choices are metal/wood, vinyl,
    fiberglass and pvc.
    use SHGC to shop brand to brand as it is common to all windows.

the software & programs I work with give a useful life of windows to be 30 years. ITRW it is pretty close.

best of luck!
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

IMO I to would stick with either wood, or wood frame cladded in alumimum on the exterior and wood finish on the inside. Stay away from vinly windows, the sun will beat the hell out of them and vinly,plastic tend to not last very long in hot sunny climates. Take a look at Kolbe & Kolbe they make a really nice replacement sash kits that only take about 20 minutes to install from the inside of the room. I replaced all my double hung's in my house about 12 years ago and still doing a great job, no problems what so ever since I installed them. the cost for the replacement sash kits are very reasonable compared to replacing the enitre window where most of the time it's not necessary.

Thank you Dan and EnergyLA for those posts

its nice to pick the brains of ppl who know a heck of alot more than me about these things.