Heat Exchanger: Inspection a special request?

Without asking to many technical questions on how things work....

I have a gas furnace that seems to get a lot of comments about the heat exchanger leaking (1990's Ruud 80% eff). I get annual or every six month general inspections. I've had inducers crack, freon leaks, but never a comment about the heat exchanger. Without getting too techincal here, is it safe to assume that an inspection of the heat exchanger is done, so should I specifically say "inspect the heat exchanger". I've been running CO meters for several years and never had a problem.

I've had a relative that had a Pulse with a leak and they didn't know about it until there was a recall and it was found on the recall inspection - that's a little unnerving. Is it generally just assumed that the heat exchanger is good if the system runs without fault?

Quote Originally Posted by ruuduser View Post
    Without asking to many technical questions on how things work....

I have a gas furnace that seems to get a lot of comments about the heat exchanger leaking (1990's Ruud 80% eff). I get annual or every six month general inspections. I've had inducers crack, freon leaks, but never a comment about the heat exchanger. Without getting too techincal here, is it safe to assume that an inspection of the heat exchanger is done, so should I specifically say "inspect the heat exchanger". I've been running CO meters for several years and never had a problem.

I've had a relative that had a Pulse with a leak and they didn't know about it until there was a recall and it was found on the recall inspection - that's a little unnerving. Is it generally just assumed that the heat exchanger is good if the system runs without fault?
    The next time you have your system checked, make sure they check the heat exchanger. Question your technician, make sure he is checking it, ask him if you can see it also....if he has a problem with this, find another technician! CO meters are good to have, but too many of them really aren't worth their salt because they don't alert at low levels. Having a cracked heat exchanger is a defect that must be fixed because it has the POTENTIAL to be dangerous. I use a camera to inspect heat exchangers and ALWAYS invite the home owner to take a looks as well....crack or no crack....

Good luck!
    I need a new signature.....

Quote Originally Posted by I_bend_metal View Post
    The next time you have your system checked, make sure they check the heat exchanger. Question your technician, make sure he is checking it, ask him if you can see it also....if he has a problem with this, find another technician! CO meters are good to have, but too many of them really aren't worth their salt because they don't alert at low levels. Having a cracked heat exchanger is a defect that must be fixed because it has the POTENTIAL to be dangerous. I use a camera to inspect heat exchangers and ALWAYS invite the home owner to take a looks as well....crack or no crack....

Good luck!
    I think this is good advice, if you ask the technician about what methods he uses to check the heat exchanger and he starts doing a dance with no real answer other than " I have been doing this a long time and I can just tell sort of thing "...time to find another company.
    Live each day like it is your last, for one day you will be right!

Quote Originally Posted by hvac r us 2 View Post
    I think this is good advice, if you ask the technician about what methods he uses to check the heat exchanger and he starts doing a dance with no real answer other than " I have been doing this a long time and I can just tell sort of thing "...time to find another company.
    Or if he claims that he just watches the flame as the blower kicks on... find someone else. Inspecting the exchanger can be a real time/labor sink and is not typically done during those "$49.95 inspection specials" touted in the ads. They want/need to get in and get out to go on to the next call. There are exceptions to this of course like when the exchanger is easy to get to for an inspection, but typically they are fairly difficult to inspect without the proper tools to do so like a camera on with a wand.