Rheem vs Goodman

Rheem vs Goodman

We live in Alabama and have a Goodman 10 SEER heatpump. It was a "cheapie" unit put in by the builder 11 years ago. We are 2nd owners and have had many issues with it. Coils are now leaking and only held charge 4 months last year.
    We have had several reputable companies come out for estimates. We are looking at a 13 SEER based up on energy costs in our area, central Alabama ( no laughs or comments needed).
    The contractor we have selected, based upon reputation, BBO and knowledge during estimate, is offering a Goodman or a Rheem 13 SEER unit for the same price. Both have 10 year parts and labor warranty and is using new freon (2010 regulation).

The contractor favors Goodman because he can get warranty claims back easier from them than Rheem. Our current experience with 11 year old Goodman system does not give us confidence in the "old Goodman" products.

Any recommendation from this forum as to which would be better in long run?
    Thanks

More recent Goodman products are better than older units from the Janitrol era (I assume that's what you have). Rheem products have been very good in terms of reliability and durability throughout the years--some last upwards of 20 years. However, you will get pros and cons with every brand, and everyone will have their own opinion. So you should instead be making certain you're finding the right dealer to do the job, who will size the unit correctly and do the best installation, as this is the most important. I wouldn't hesitate to get another quote or two for more options.

I agree with Ryan.

I personally and professionally like Rheem FAR MORE than Goodman. Rheem is much more reliable IMHO.

And by your own words, you having issues with Goodman products.....even if they are 11 years old.

If you check Consumer reports, April of ~~~~oooh gezz, I forgot what year? I think it was 2002 or 2004 they ranked air conditioners. Rheem was ranked as the most reliable followed by Trane, Ruud, American Standard ( in that order)

Now Rheem and Ruud are the same thing as is Trane and AM/ST? Goodman was ranked at the bottom as the most UN-reliable( # 9 or 10 )

Now that I gave you this information, You should make a decision on how comfortable and confident you are in your contractor. Installation and attention to detail are as important or even more important that equipment selection.

EVERY manufacture has there own *issues*? A competent contractor can solve or prevent most issues?

Good luck with your choice
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

Thanks for your input.
    I appreciate the info.

As I am comfortable with my contractor of choice, we will go with the Rheem.

What are the air handler (indoor unit) model numbers quoted? For the Rheem, I suggest you go with the RHKL variable speed unit.

The refrigerant leak may not have had anything to do with the Goodman condenser. What brand evaporator did it have?

Back then, several brands had leaky evaporator coils.

I sold some Ruud condensers, along with other Makes & found Ruud to be good units.

The later model Goodman units appear to be good. I prefer the 14-SEER & above with Copeland Scroll compressors & a TXV metering device.

Most the Rheem condensers I come across are an absolute pain in the rear to clean. Almost always is the enclosed area next to the compressor coated with debris which is an issue of cabinet design.

Quote Originally Posted by fenian View Post
    Most the Rheem condensers I come across are an absolute pain in the rear to clean. Almost always is the enclosed area next to the compressor coated with debris which is an issue of cabinet design.
    A pain in the rear??? Tranes are much worse, I take the cabinet off completely, takes all of two minutes with a drill driver.

Two screws on top, two on the compressor cover, pull three wires for the condenser fan and 10 or 12 screws around the bottom and you have clear access to every thing. I generally don't even try to clean right behind the compressor, why bother it's less than 1% of the total surface area of the coil.

I also use a vacuum, most of the time, to clean a condenser (unless it's really dirty) because a chemical wash just makes to big of a muddy mess around the unit
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

If you're concerned about price (and who isn't?), you might also check out Amana. I've actually gotten lower estimates on an Amana top of the line system from one dealer than Goodman from another dealer. I'm not sure about reliability of their AC units, but Consumer Reports a couple of years ago had Amana furnaces tied with Trane as #1 in reliability. From my limited time in looking at systems, the Amana warranties are top notch.

Quote Originally Posted by fenian View Post
    Also an extremely well protected coil.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I have good luck with the Goodmans that i have installed, I have yet to have a warranty problem with one and I've been using them for 7 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamoke View Post
    I have good luck with the Goodmans that i have installed, I have yet to have a warranty problem with one and I've been using them for 7 years now.
    I've installed quite a few in the last 20 years and, no warranty issues either. I'd like to think skill has something to do with it. This might be hard to understand but, I really can't remember having anything more than a contactor warranty replacement on 1 or 2 units in those 20 years, no matter what brand name was installed. And, I've installed 'em all. Nothing wrong with Rheem/Rudd at all.