Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First, time is not an accurate measurement of system evacuation. Second by not using core removal tools, the size of the port has been reduced to 3/16 of an inch thereby defeating the purpose of a 1/2 inch vacuum line.

Well if you watch the video I'd disagree with you in this case, it was for all intents and purposes the same setup. 6 minutes is a considerable amount of time when the only variable is the pump, this of course is my opinion and I'll be awaiting redicule because of it. Last time I checked, a recovery tank doesn't have cores anyway.
    I am the Stig

RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    Well if you watch the video I'd disagree with you in this case, it was for all intents and purposes the same setup. 6 minutes is a considerable amount of time when the only variable is the pump, this of course is my opinion and I'll be awaiting redicule because of it. Last time I checked, a recovery tank doesn't have cores anyway.
    Now you did it you got my cousin on a roll.

Now now, just edemucating the young'n

thanks for the info....always appreciate the cornucopia of knowledge you offer. I take it you guys didn't watch the video. he was pulling from a recovery tank equalized with ATM. He picked an arbutrary level of 200 microns. Obviously his test was far from laboratory but I think it gave a general idea of the performance characteristics of each vacuum pump.... btw, I get paid by the hour I don't watch the clock
    I am the Stig

What point of 1/2" fittings anyway? I haven't seen any equipment, new or old, with anything larger that 3/8" fittings on charge and purge type valves, and those are on BIG stuff.

If you could pull through 1/2" fittings, then it would make a bit more sense to me. 3/8" at least, but 1/2" to 1/4" is a BIG reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    What point of 1/2" fittings anyway? I haven't seen any equipment, new or old, with anything larger that 3/8" fittings on charge and purge type valves, and those are on BIG stuff.

If you could pull through 1/2" fittings, then it would make a bit more sense to me. 3/8" at least, but 1/2" to 1/4" is a BIG reduction.
    That I tend to agree with, but the sales rep said using the 1/2" holes with the cores removed from the 1/4" fittings does work. I will soon see because our local distributor is allowing me to use one of the pumps and the setup for 90 days. I made my own 3/8" fittings to use with my 6 cfm pump years ago and it did indeed make a difference even though I still had to connect to the smaller fittings on the equipment.

I use a 3/8" hose on a brute manifold for pulling vacuum, but I also use all 3 1/4" hoses.

My pump used to have a 1/2" port of it that I swapped out with 3/8 for that purpose.

I don't really know that it makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by addamsmasher View Post
    thanks for the info....always appreciate the cornucopia of knowledge you offer. I take it you guys didn't watch the video. he was pulling from a recovery tank equalized with ATM. He picked an arbutrary level of 200 microns. Obviously his test was far from laboratory but I think it gave a general idea of the performance characteristics of each vacuum pump.... btw, I get paid by the hour I don't watch the clock
    Sorry "Grasshopper", I did watch the video and to me the time thing does not prove a thing.
    Pulling a good vacuum on a system and sweeping with nitrogen is the proper way of doing this.
    As far as 1/2" lines go, Bill Schaffer from Lennox made an excellent video showing the benifits of a larger vacuum line and the cores removed.
    Addamsmasher FYI very few Commercial Refrigeration Systems also do not have valve cores.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast