Thread: Hard Start Kit

Hard Start Kit

While I was looking at Goodman/vrs Amana HP systems that I wanted to have installed, I noticed the Goodman SSZ140361 CU recommended a hard start kit if the unit was installed with AHU AEPF303616 and a TXV.

The Amana ASZ140361 (installed with the same AHU) manual does not make this statement.

What Gives? I thought they were basicly the same system except for a noise deadning blanket on the scroll compressor, and a couple other non operational issues.

Does a hard start kit hurt or damage a HP if it is installed but not needed\required?

Should I have a HVAC guy install a hard start kit in my Amana ASZ140361 with AEPF303616 AHU with a TXV?

Are both units R410a???

One unit maybe a R22 system with a FCCV.(Flow control valve, or restricter piston) These type systems don't generally need a Hard start!!
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

[QUOTE=jmac00;2842042]Are both units R410a???

Yes, they are both 410A. Both with TXV. (going for the 15 SEER) That is why I posted the question for you pro's. I doesnt make sence to me anyway.

where in the country are these being installed??? In the south??? or the North?

I guess it would boil down to design/engineering philosophy, whether they install a hard start or not?

The hard start will not hurt anything. It is simply a large capacitor/relay to help the compressor motor start when under adverse condition, like when it's really cold out.
    The Last four letters

American = I Can, Republican = I Can, Democrats = Rats

any questions

the txv is a...

the txv is a hard shut off valve, does not equalize the system pressures when the system is not running. I prefer to refer to them as "start assists", as oppsed to, a "hard start" kit.

I install start assist kits in all of my C.U. installations. Fellas @ the parts houses know to include a kit anytime I come to get a unit.

they will not hurt anything may give a little longer life to compressor. txv has equalizing line. if unit has heater on compressor you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by local553 View Post
    txv has equalizing line.
    Equalizer line. is not for equalizing the high and low side during the off cycle.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?