N2 TEC2101-3 Thermostat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

N2 TEC2101-3 Thermostat

We recently had a lightning strike at one of our building complexes onsite. We lost an NCM350, several DX9100s, a couple of UNTs, a mcquay microtech board (brought in through an integrator) and a TEC2101-3. Everything has been replaced except for the mcquay board.

I am getting an error in the NCM "Input buffer overrun, msg longer than maximum device expects to receive, arg = user_return_type". The arg is 49 which just so happens to be the N2 address of the TEC2101-3. Looking at the history of the zone temp from the TEC, we see that the value goes unreliable frequently, but for less than a minute. The zone temp is an analog data point with an associated input from the TEC CS object, as recommended in the TEC installation manual.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should we return/replace the TEC?

Quote Originally Posted by chewlak View Post
    We recently had a lightning strike at one of our building complexes onsite. We lost an NCM350, several DX9100s, a couple of UNTs, a mcquay microtech board (brought in through an integrator) and a TEC2101-3. Everything has been replaced except for the mcquay board.

I am getting an error in the NCM "Input buffer overrun, msg longer than maximum device expects to receive, arg = user_return_type". The arg is 49 which just so happens to be the N2 address of the TEC2101-3. Looking at the history of the zone temp from the TEC, we see that the value goes unreliable frequently, but for less than a minute. The zone temp is an analog data point with an associated input from the TEC CS object, as recommended in the TEC installation manual.

Does anyone have any ideas? Should we return/replace the TEC?
    Yes return it it has an extra 2ms transmission that is causing the error. I will look up the solution for you because I can not remeber what size the capacitor is to add to the N2 trunk to fix this....
    UA Local 141

Capacitor

.047 micro farad capacitor is the size your looking for.

I have ordered the capacitors. We'll see if that fixes my problem.

The date code on this thermostat is outside the range listed in the Product Update Action Notice for the controllers. No one from Johnson is willing to give me assistance. I called Milwaukee from whom I bought the device and they told me I have to talk to the local branch. The local branch wants to charge me for a tech visit. It certainly sounds like they still have communication issues despite the Action Notice saying they have been corrected. I also only have one thermostat and it is causing problems, despite the action notice saying the symptoms only occur if two or more are on the same N2 segment. I would think JCI would want to know about this.

After you install the capacitors let us know how it goes.
    UA Local 141

Capacitors

Well all of ours were outside the date code range also. But I still put them on some I even put on in parellel a 220 ohm resistor. Just keep experimenting there doesn't seem to be a solid rule. Remember to put the capacitor on both ends of the affected trunk. I also had some luck with repeaters at the 50th device.

Replaced thermostat, still errors. Installed capacitors, quiet for about an hour, but now errors again. Any other ideas besides ripping out and installing a UNT?

Has anyone used the GE22-N2 by NetworkThermostat? They say it is a direct replacement for the TEC1103-1, hopefully without communication problems.

Both NCMs that we have with TECs have reported these message alarms. We installed capacitors as recommended, but we still have problems. The problems on one NCM mysteriously cleared up earlier this month - months after the capacitors were installed (and no other work was done.)

Since your trying stuff, make sure that the TEC's (1100 or 2100) do NOT have overrides on both Heat and Cool setpoints. If you can, go reset all the setpoints locally and lock the stats. Then go looking for any commands on anything for the stats just to make sure. Had similar problems on TEC's with the date range (both NCM and FX-40), put in the .047 caps and still had problems. Finally found out the end user(s) were using command/adjust instead of override. Re-programmed all TEC's, locked em and busted password levels and the problems went away.

Newer TEC's will accept overrides on both setpoints but it's hit or miss which one is "In Charge", havent figure that part out yet.

"Are we having fun yet ?"
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Has anyone used the GE22-N2 by NetworkThermostat?
    We have been using these ever since JCI discontinued the 1100 series and came out with the 2100 series.

The problem with the 2100 series stat was that from the front end you could not change both heating and cooling setpoint.

The GE22-N2 is an exact replacement of the TEC 1102 and has none of the problems associated with 2100 stats

Any info of the ge22 n2. I hate them TEC's
    UA Local 141

Replaced thermostat, still errors. Installed capacitors, quiet for about an hour, but now errors again. Any other ideas besides ripping out and installing a UNT?

UNT UNT YES
    UA Local 141

Extwk,

The website shows the HP32-N2 as a heat pump thermostat and the replacement for the TEC 1102.

I will be ordering the GE22-N2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast