Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: goodman problems, what manufacturer should I use?

Post Likes

What manufacturer should I use?

I moved into a house about 6 months ago that the AC went out and it's been giving me problems. The outside unit is a goodman, which is only about 3 years, but it's not under warranty.

I've been reading a lot of complaints about goodman, but just saw the JDpower ratings that gave goodman a good rating. The problem is that I don't know much about goodman, but from reading a lot of bad posts about goodman and then having my system outside go out that's only 3 years old just doesn't give me much trust.

Is there another brand that gives you the best bang for your buck? One contractor was telling me to go with rheem instead of goodman. Another contractor that was charging so much more recommended american standard and was telling me that it's trane branded.

I prefer to have less of a warranty and more of a reliable system even if it costs me more. So I was just looking for inputs and I couldn't find any other reports except the one from JD power. Consumer reports didn't seem to have any ratings either.

Post Likes
    If its only 3 years old, it should still be under warranty. Atleast 5 years parts and 10 on the compressor.

What makes you think that its not?

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    If its only 3 years old, it should still be under warranty. Atleast 5 years parts and 10 on the compressor.

the person who installed it was probably unlicensed, so therefore it is not under warranty

also the system was probably installed in an unproffessional manner

this MUST be Goodman's fault

Post Likes
    You can still select Goodman. Warranties are excellent. Just make sure that it is professionally installed.

Post Likes
    So most of you recommend that I go with a goodman then? My other question is that a friend was telling me that he thinks the problem with my outside unit is that the roof is slooping down and that I should put a gutter near my outside unit, because he said too much water is pouring on the unit and it's causing the corrosion and problems with the unit.

I'm starting to lean towards the goodman if most people do think that it's a good unit. What is the deal with the tax credit? is it 30% of the cost of the installing and doing everything?

Post Likes
    Ok.

So what brand is the indoor unit(air handler, evap coil if you have a furnace).

If mismatched. That may have something to do with the outdoor unit having problems.

There several things that can cause the outdoor unit to fail. That are far beyond the control of any manufacturer.

Are the contractors that are giving you estimates, replacing the entire system, or just the outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    The inside unit/air handler is a carrier, which is about 12 years old. The inside unit has problems leak and other problems. The outside unit is only 3-4 years old and it's a goodman. I was told that the inside unit is 10 seers, while the outside one is 13 seers if I'm not mistaken.

All the quotes have been to replace both together.

Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post

I don't have any of the original paper work with it and the paper that was on the side of it has been ripped off. I'm told that if it was purchased online there's no warranty and also read other things that it's only a warranty if it's installed with the same inside airhandler unit, but not sure about that.

Post Likes
    The mismatch and leaks of the indoor unit, are more to blame for your outdoor units failure, then the brand name on it.

A good contractor that installs a matching system. Will provide you with a more reliable system. Then just buying a brand name.

Did you get a second opinion on what is wrong with the outdoor unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by boneac View Post
    I don't have any of the original paper work with it and the paper that was on the side of it has been ripped off. I'm told that if it was purchased online there's no warranty and also read other things that it's only a warranty if it's installed with the same inside airhandler unit, but not sure about that.
    Gotcha.

My advice is to go with a licensed and insured company that will perform a manual J load calculation to size the A/C properly.
    Have the company pull a permit so the install can be inspected by the city (this helps eliminate hack installs).
    Choose a brand that offers a competitive warranty, go with a R-410 system (Freon) and not R-22. Have a matching cased evaporator coil as well as lineset, electrical whip and disconnect installed.
    Don'T forget to register your product...either online, or snail mail.

Post Likes
    Well I found out the outside unit and inside unit is 10 seers, so if the inside needs replaced then that's the reason that the outside is being replaced.

I was looking at this table below and it seems that there's a lot of savings with a 13 seers, but the 14 or 15 I'm not sure it's worth the money as I'm told it's about 750 bucks more per seer give or take.

http://www.yorkupg.com/homeowners/ai...=1&ProdID=0%20

I was told that a rheem would cost about 750 more dollars and that a Trane would cost 1,500 more than the goodman.

I'm guessing the trane isn't worth the money?

Post Likes
    No pricing questions!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    the person who installed it was probably unlicensed, so therefore it is not under warranty

also the system was probably installed in an unproffessional manner

this MUST be Goodman's fault

In a way, it is their fault, because they market their equipment directly to the homeowners. JMO

Post Likes
    spend a couple minutes and fill out your profile and you might find somebody on this board that can help you.

if you put another Gooman in your home you deserve what you get. you won't be able to find any cheaper equipment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by james80031 View Post
    In a way, it is their fault, because they market their equipment directly to the homeowners. JMO
    How do you figure that?

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by tinner73 View Post
    if you put another Gooman in your home you deserve what you get. you won't be able to find any cheaper equipment.
    your correct about one thing

Goodman is one of the more inexpensive system's available

and with a warranty that matches super expensive system's, coupled with the way the economy is theses days

more and more folk's will be choosing your most unfavorite brand GOODMAN

so get used to it, and get over it

and if you choose not to install Goodman, maybe you loose some buisness to your competitor's

maybe not, but what's the sense in brand bashing?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    How do you figure that?
    Maybe I wasn't real clear. Goodman sells directly to homeowners with no contractor license required. This means that there are alot of installations done in an unprofessional manner.

Post Likes
    Maybe I wasn't real clear. Goodman sells directly to homeowners with no contractor license required. This means that there are alot of installations done in an unprofessional manner.
    In some states, so does Trane and Carrier.

Some states (the ones without license laws) prohibit the restriction of sales.

Post Likes
    I disagree. It doesn't happen here. If a homeowner walks in to any Goodman location here, they're told to get a licensed contractor. Period. I know this a fact. I've seen it happen. Hasn't this horse been beat to death here?

Post Likes
    I don't want to make this a long Goodman bashing thing, but internet sales ship them anywhere. Right to the HO doorstep.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in