Lennox PureAir Filter Question

I have a Lennox PureAir system and need to replace the filter. It came with a MERV 16. The cost is about x. What would happen if I replace the filter with a MERV 10? IWill I notice increased dust in my home. I can get 2 of the MERV 10 for x. The filter size is the same. I don't have kids with allergies.

Thanks for any advice and information.

Questions and discussions pertaining to HVAC for the home. No pricing, no DIY, Thank You.

Please read Site Rules Thank you.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-19-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Removed prices

Go with the 10. You'll be fine.

if you spent "X" for the best filter out there(imao), why downgrade to the 10???

if money is the issue you should've just put in the merv 10 to start with and saved "XXX"
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

The 16 was installed with the system set up. I was told that it could be replaced with the 10 in the future. The 10 is a quater of the cost of the 16.

When I called to get the 10 as a replacement, I was told the 10 has been discontinued. I decided to look around online and was able to find some available. I am not sure if it is just old inventory or maybe I was told the wrong information to begin with.

I feel like I may be taking a risk since the company that installed it said 10 was not available. I can't imagine a 10 with the same measurements wouldn't work.

Thanks for the information and replies. As you can probably guess, I am not in the HVAC industry. You guys are the professionals.

Does anyone know if the MERV 10 (16x26x5) has actually been discontinued.

Quote Originally Posted by TDC1 View Post
    Does anyone know if the MERV 10 (16x26x5) has actually been discontinued.
    I just checked my 2 local warehouses. One has 30 and the other has 16. Part number is #X6664. The merv 16 is #X6666.

Also remeber the PCO and the lamps need to be replaced annually also.

Thanks again for the replies guys.

go with the 10, if you don't like it you can always go back to the 16.