Carrier package...a good choice for me?

Hi everyone! I’ve had two HVAC contractors come by for an estimate for a new gas furnace and to add on CAC. After doing some reading on this forum I’m getting a little concerned. Neither of them did a load calculation. Can you guys look over their suggestions to make sure I’m not being duped?

My house is small, only about 600 sq ft, and I have all new energy efficient windows/doors. The ductwork is already in place. The house itself is over 100 years old, but is brick and pretty solid.

Here’s what one contractor suggested:

ARI Ref # - 902974
    Outdoor unit - 24APA518 (Carrier)
    Indoor unit - CNPVP3014
    Furnace model - 58CVA070-1-12 (80% 2 stage variable)
    BTU – 18200
    EER – 13.2
    SEER – 16

Soooo on to my questions!

Does Carrier make good furnaces and air conditioners? Do you think this system is the proper size for my house? I think it’s a 1.5 ton…is that right? This is the smallest size they make right? Maybe the contractors knew this and didn’t bother doing the calculations?

I noticed the air conditioner is from the Carrier Performance line, but the furnace is from the Infinity line. He said that’s not a problem, is that true?

I like the contractor and the price is right (I think); they’ve been in business since the 70’s and has a good rating with the Better Business Bureau.

Can you guys give me any guidance?

Thanks!

Katy

Quote Originally Posted by Katy_Sparkles View Post
    ARI Ref # - 902974
    Outdoor unit - 24APA518 (Carrier)
    Indoor unit - CNPVP3014
    Furnace model - 58CVA070-1-12 (80% 2 stage variable)
    BTU – 18200
    EER – 13.2
    SEER – 16
    FYI: The 13 EER / 16 SEER a/c should qualify for the $1500 Federal Tax Credit.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...tax_credits#c3

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    FYI: The 13 EER / 16 SEER a/c should qualify for the $1500 Federal Tax Credit.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...tax_credits#c3

Good luck.
    Hi Gary

Thanks for the link! I'll definitely add that into my bottom line.

Katy

Katy,

It is my opinion that Carrier is very reputable brand, I know several people who have them and like them. The contractor that has been in business since 70's probably has done many houses similar to yours, thus can guess pretty accurately what the house is probably going to need based on sq-ft. Additionally, your house is extremely small, and those are going to be the smallest furnace/ac split-system from carrier (and most other manufacturers) and are most likely going to be more than enough, thus that’s probably why the load calc was neglected. (Also, FYI, when I had my house done, only one out of three contractors did a load calc, all three came up with the same size units. If your house is extremely unique in construction for your location, then I would be concerned about having a load calc done, otherwise any experienced contractor should be able to size it okay… get multiple quotes if unsure. )

The ac unit and furnace will still match up, so no problem there.

As far as price, don't be afraid to get multiple quotes. Compare prices... make sure your comparing apples to apples as far as equipment and installation goes. Choose the contractor with whom you trusted most, or has the better reputation. If there was a lower priced contractor let the one whom you want to do the job know, and maybe he will bend on the price.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hvac_grilley View Post
    Katy,

It is my opinion that Carrier is very reputable brand, I know several people who have them and like them. The contractor that has been in business since 70's probably has done many houses similar to yours, thus can guess pretty accurately what the house is probably going to need based on sq-ft. Additionally, your house is extremely small, and those are going to be the smallest furnace/ac split-system from carrier (and most other manufacturers) and are most likely going to be more than enough, thus that’s probably why the load calc was neglected. (Also, FYI, when I had my house done, only one out of three contractors did a load calc, all three came up with the same size units. If your house is extremely unique in construction for your location, then I would be concerned about having a load calc done, otherwise any experienced contractor should be able to size it okay… get multiple quotes if unsure. )

The ac unit and furnace will still match up, so no problem there.

As far as price, don't be afraid to get multiple quotes. Compare prices... make sure your comparing apples to apples as far as equipment and installation goes. Choose the contractor with whom you trusted most, or has the better reputation. If there was a lower priced contractor let the one whom you want to do the job know, and maybe he will bend on the price.

Good Luck!
    I think you hit the nail on the head - my house being so small combined with a very common floor plan led contractors to just pick the smallest system available.

Tomorrow morning the Trane salesperson is coming for my third estimate. I'll be sure to let you guys know!

Katy

Katy:

Make sure that you get the exact model numbers on the quote. The ARI reference# is also a good thing to have to see if the proposed system qualifies for the tax rebate. All work to be performed should also be on the quote. Try to sweet talk them into a 10 year PARTS AND LABOR warranty.

Take care.

The Trane units didn't impress me much in terms of efficiency, so I'm really close to making a decision about the Carrier - hooray!

I've got some questions about an extended warranty, but that's another post.

Thanks for your help!

Katy

by the way Gary - I'm in Baltimore too !

70K for 600 sq ft seems excessive. May be pretty noisy on high fire. I had 80K 2 stage for 1000 sq ft. I put a toggle switch on high to keep it off unless bitter cold and needed a fast warmup. Otherwise sounded like a jet engine taking off.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    70K for 600 sq ft seems excessive. May be pretty noisy on high fire. I had 80K 2 stage for 1000 sq ft. I put a toggle switch on high to keep it off unless bitter cold and needed a fast warmup. Otherwise sounded like a jet engine taking off.

Hahaha that's the last thing I want - a F16 in my basement! My cats would be terrified!

Do you mean the fan itself would be blowing too hard? Isn't that the point of the variable speed fan though? Do they even make smaller units (in terms of BTUs)? If so yea I'd be open to learning about them.

Somewhat related question: when in heat mode, does the fan generally run slower than in 'air' mode, or about the same?

Make sure you get the CNPVP3014ATA coil and not the CNPVP3014ACA coil. I think most dealers have made this a standard option now. It has the tin-plated copper coil and a 10-year warranty--more resistant to corrosion.

With my 80K 80% now replaced with 60K 95%, on high both are/were very noisy, blower wise. Neither could move any less air on high. On low, don't know they are/were on. But since low is really all I need, I keep high switched off except bitter weather when I want to warm the house up quickly. Looks like that is Carrier's smallest furnace of that type. Definitely could have air noise on high in that small of a space.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanHughes View Post
    Make sure you get the CNPVP3014ATA coil and not the CNPVP3014ACA coil. I think most dealers have made this a standard option now. It has the tin-plated copper coil and a 10-year warranty--more resistant to corrosion.
    Hey Ryan -

Thanks for the response - I'll be sure to request the ATA model !

Katy