Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Explain "ducts tuned in"

Quote Originally Posted by james80031 View Post
    "Dash" would be good, and I'm sure he would get all your ducts tuned in for maximum efficiency.
    Ok now you mentioned something new. Like I said earlier this is a 35 year old home. The ducts are not being replaced. Two contractors suggested adding a new air intake, as the old one is a straight shot thru the wall ( no ductwork just an opening ) One said put it in the hallway near the thermostat, the other said put it closer to the original.

I may call Dash, but I already have one quote, and one coming in tomorrow...The one I have is for a York 18SEER which is a bit pricey for us, but sounds like it's a good one. The company coming tomorrow which is recommeded by neighbors sells Trane. I think they will do a load survey. The other guy who was also recommended took a look around at vents and the existing ventwork, but did not do a thorough load survey. This house is not well insulated, nor does it have newer windows ( has old style hopper windows ) None of this planned for replacement as the house is not worth renovating. It was a cheaply built 70's block house. This is my Moms old house. We will only be here as long as she is. I think that was why my Dad chose a cheapo model last time. Neither of them expected to still be here in 2009. She really does not want me putting much money into it.

I have been told that a scroll compressor is more desirable over piston type. Which is why I chose the York. I don't know what a trane has, could not find that out. However without a load survey, I don't know whether we need something like that. He gave us a quote for both a 18 Seer, and a 13 Seer model and with the rebate difference, and Tax incentive there is not a huge difference in price afterward. ( provided it actually qualifies for that tax incentive ) York has a statement that it does.

I could send links to both companies. The one coming tomorrow is a fairly large local company. The other guy is like you. Worked for a company ( the other one ) and then opened his own five years ago. His website by the way is very similar to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Hudson View Post
    I could send links to both companies. The one coming tomorrow is a fairly large local company. The other guy is like you. Worked for a company ( the other one ) and then opened his own five years ago. His website by the way is very similar to yours.
    Is somebody copying me? He didn't have pics of my daughter on there did he?
    Sure send me the links. I mentioned the duct work, because DASH has a Manual D as his avatar. Good luck with the contractor hunt.

OK some feedback please

Thanks to everyone for their input. Now comes the choice.

Only one company did a load calc. Their proposal is for either a Trane XR14C
    2.5 ton model #4TWR4030C1000A Condenser and a variable speed airhandler model #4TEE3F39A1000A AIR-TITE Air Handler with a 10kw heatstrip. --- or ---- 2.5 ton 13 SEER R410 Heat Pump Unit# 4TWB3030A1000A and a Tee3F31B1000A Trane Variable Speed AIR_TITE Air Handler.

The other guy, who insisted a load calc wasn't nececessary since he was familiar with the houses in this development. Suggested a YORK CZE and AVY handler. or a YORK GCD-024 these were the only model numbers he gave me.

I am already figuring I should go with the people who did the load calc, since they seemed more like they knew what they were doing and didn't give me a big spiel. They even said that the lower SEER unit would work just as well. However it only has a five year warrany The higher SEER unit has a ten.

The prices between both companies were only off by a small amount. Feedback is welcome. I am also looking at the stat sheets for the trane ( they gave me a complete list of parts and labor. The other guy just gave me a flat price. He was also did not think we needed a 2.5 ton until I said that the old unit never really could cool the house below 80 in the summer. He then said "I'll give you a 2.5 ton for the same price. Which sounded a little strange. Other than that he was making enough off the deal to start with.

Now the time to make decisions. The guy from Miami was told NO GO. I don't trust someone who makes proposals over the phone. He did ask a lot of questions regarding the existing unit, size and location. But that's not actually sizing up the project. I do kitchens, but would never guess something just from a customers measurements.

So that's my story. I will obviously make my own decision. But I appreciate feedback, and think I know what it will be already.

Go with the one that did the load calc. The one that said he was familiar was guessing at insulation levels, southern facing windows, etc, etc.

Thumbs up My Senitments EXACKLY!

Quote Originally Posted by james80031 View Post
    Go with the one that did the load calc. The one that said he was familiar was guessing at insulation levels, southern facing windows, etc, etc.
    Thanks for the input. I keep reading here that the contractor is more important than the brand. The Trane guy did a thorough load calc. He also gave me all the specs for both units with their pricing. I am curious though. The price for the York was a tad higher than the Trane, but had a fairly hefty rebate. That brought it in, slightly lower. I know we can't mention prices. I am just curious if they are comparable in quality for the price.

The CZE is a Affinity 2 stage unit. York's top of the line A/C.

So he was either quoting you a 2, or a 3 ton, since it doesn't come in a 2.5 ton size.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Hmm Contractor seemed confused

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The CZE is a Affinity 2 stage unit. York's top of the line A/C.

So he was either quoting you a 2, or a 3 ton, since it doesn't come in a 2.5 ton size.
    He was originally quoting me a 2 ton unit. Until I pushed him on the fact that two other companies said we need a 2.5 ton. He said "ok I'll install a 2.5 ton and I won't change the price". He was very vague with his model numbers, seemed a bit confused on the letters. First he said one, than said it was the CZH then changed ti to CZE. The quote he gave me just said "install 2 ton 18 SEER Complete System with no model numbers. His quote was quite higher than the Trane one, if you did not include the large York rebate for the system. But that is for a 15 SEER unit. The CZE from what I have read is a 15 also. Seems he has his models confused. But being in the business of installing them, I would expect him to know. Especially when he is calling me back to give me the model numbers. I also could not find the 13 SEER he mentioned GCD-024 this was only a little cheaper.
    The trane dealer, on the other hand supplied me with brochures on both models as well as about the company. Both are local, not manufacturer subsidiaries.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Hudson View Post
    They all used the ripoff artist who was recommended by the HOA. That's the Tempstar guy.

I'm really sorry one cannot post prices on here. Because it would be quite revealing. Needless to say, they charged my folks for a top of the line unit and put in the cheapest.
    That's common with telemarketing companies in the area,see it all the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12