Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Contractors Brands What's most important in Heat Pumps

I am totally frustrated. Our seven year old Tempstar Heat Pump finally died, after many problems and service visits.

I am trying to figure out what to have installed. I have called three local contractors and they all tell me something else. The original installer, only installs Tempstar. The company that did all the service repairs only sells Carrier and suggested a "contractors model". They were the only ones who did a load survey, and suggested that we also add an extra air intake. The second contractor is on the other side of the state. He called me, when I posted this same question on " ask the experts.com". I find it strange that a contractor would drive 250 miles for a job. He suggested either a Goodman or Rheem, but did not specify model or seer rating. He also said from my info. that we would need to add an extra intake. ( the house was built in 1973 and all ductwork is original ) They all said the same thing. That when they built this house " they put in the AC the same way they did it UP NORTH!, and this is wrong for our hot humid Florida climate".

Ok now comes the brand names for the contractors called. Goodman/Rheem 2.5 ton from the guy across the state. One local contractor suggested York and was the only guy who mentioned SEER ratings. The third contractor sells Trane. So far no estimates, just suggestions and no model numbers.

Last but not least. They all are trying to quote me the CHEAPEST which obviously down here in the deep south, is all important to people. Yes I want the best for the buck, but I also want something that actually works, and does not require constant service visits.

Feedback please!

I wouldn't use somebody that is 250 miles away. Do you think he will drive back out if you have a problem? The contractor that performed the load calc sounds the best from what you have written. You have to consider that they spent the time to ensure you would get the proper size and air flow. If they did this, chances are that they will do a professional installation, and you will have a good working system. THE INSTALLING CONTRACTOR IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE BRAND OF EQUIPMENT!!!!!

Food for Thought

Quote Originally Posted by james80031 View Post
    I wouldn't use somebody that is 250 miles away. Do you think he will drive back out if you have a problem? The contractor that performed the load calc sounds the best from what you have written. You have to consider that they spent the time to ensure you would get the proper size and air flow. If they did this, chances are that they will do a professional installation, and you will have a good working system. THE INSTALLING CONTRACTOR IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE BRAND OF EQUIPMENT!!!!!
    I agree that the contractor is more important. I found it suspicious that this guy asked me to call him online. He said he was "the best in Broward County" and has gotten many customers through that site. It's supposed to be an information site, not a "lets find customers" site. I was simply asking for help, like here.
    I really prefer to have someone local, but they all bad mouth each other, and each others product. This is what's causing my confusion. The company that did the load calculation suggested a Carrier "contractors" unit. It has a very low SEER rating. I thought that was also important? It is also $x more than all the other units. I don't know who to trust.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-19-2009 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Removed price

You should erase dollar amounts. What is the lower SEER rating? I don't like companies that bash other companies. I would ask other people who you know for recommendations. Personal refrences with nothing to gain or lose will be the most honest about local contractors.

You should erase dollar amounts. What is the lower SEER rating? I don't like companies that bash other companies. I would ask other people who you know for recommendations. Personal refrences with nothing to gain or lose will be the most honest about local contractors.
    This is what is bugging me!
    I am so sick of doing business with anyone here in Gulf Coast Florida. I don't care what you are having done. It's the same with all businesses. They all bad mouth the competition. Then they tell you they are the "cheapest" I don't really care about that. ( for the most part ). I feel they are all crooks. I simply want an AC unit that does what it's supposed to. The contractor who put in the Tempstar for my folks ( this is my Mom's house ) who were in their eighties, took them for a ride. I won't use them at all. Now these others, I just don't know. They are all "Recommeded Contractors" with the local BBB. None are just fly by night outfits. They ( except the guy in Broward ) are all established local contractors.

I by the way moved here from the West Coast. It's a whole new ballgame here!

Who did your neighbors use?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in Hudson View Post
    Last but not least. They all are trying to quote me the CHEAPEST which obviously down here in the deep south, is all important to people. Yes I want the best for the buck, but I also want something that actually works, and does not require constant service visits.

Feedback please!
    A 14 SEER, 12 EER, will usually get you the best combination of purchase price and operating costs. A 16 SEER, 13 EER, will qualify for the $1500 tax rebate.

If it's in your budget, you can step up to a 2-stage condenser (usually 16 SEER or greater), which is better for humidity removal and comfort (not necessarily reduced operating costs).

I would get a 10 year PARTS AND LABOR warranty for your own piece of mind.

The system needs to be sized properly. A quality installation is critical.

Good luck.

Who our Neighbor used

Who did your neighbors use?
    They all used the ripoff artist who was recommended by the HOA. That's the Tempstar guy.

I'm really sorry one cannot post prices on here. Because it would be quite revealing. Needless to say, they charged my folks for a top of the line unit and put in the cheapest.

Confused Probably will go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    A 14 SEER, 12 EER, will usually get you the best combination of purchase price and operating costs. A 16 SEER, 13 EER, will qualify for the $1500 tax rebate.

If it's in your budget, you can step up to a 2-stage condenser (usually 16 SEER or greater), which is better for humidity removal and comfort (not necessarily reduced operating costs).

I would get a 10 year PARTS AND LABOR warranty for your own piece of mind.

The system needs to be sized properly. A quality installation is critical.

Good luck.
    The one quote I got is for a York Affinity that's an 18 SEER rating. It's higher priced, but still cheaper than the current Tempstar unit. The other quotes are all saying SEER is unimportant and we should go for the cheap price. Here in Florida it seems thats all people care about. The bottom line price. I simply want a hassle free install.

SEER rating

You should erase dollar amounts. What is the lower SEER rating?
    That SEER rating would be 13

There are several professional members on this site from Florida. Maybe you can start a new post and ask for their assistance?

"Dash" is from New Port Richey / Crystal River. Not sure if that is near you.

Yes I am just a few miles from New Port Richey. Crytal River is way north of both Hudson and New Port Richey

"Dash" would be good, and I'm sure he would get all your ducts tuned in for maximum efficiency.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast