Thread: How to tell if two stage heating is two stage?

Post Likes

How to tell if two stage heating is two stage?

This is going to sound pretty stupid, but I can't tell if there really are two stages of heat coming from my unit. I have the Lennox G61MPV, and have checked the dip switches and jumpers and all looks correct for 2 stage operation. However, it seems like whenever heat is on, it is on full. Should I be able to tell a noticable difference from first stage heating vs second stage heating, either in blower speed or air temp exiting the vents?

Sorry for such a basic question, but it really has me questioning if I'm getting the benefits of a dual stage heating unit.

Thanks,
    Dave

Post Likes
    Hire a professional, it involves gas pressure readings and low voltage control meter readings.

Post Likes
    Being a 2 stage homeowner in my spare time, i can tell increas in airflow in 2nd. stage

Post Likes
    "A two-stage furnace requires all or some of the following components: a two-stage gas valve, two-stage controls, a
    multiple speed blower motor, and two-speed inducer motor.

A two-stage control is any control
    that uses a two-stage adjustment of the furnace input rate in response to changes in the heating
    load. Based on thermostat demand, the two-stage control cycles the burners between a reduced
    heat input rate and off or between the maximum heat input rate and off. "

I guess if you ask for 1F or 10F above the current ambient you'll the low or high rate.

Post Likes
    It can be hard to determine if a furnace is in first or second stage.

You may want to try this.

Turn your heat up one degree above room temp.

Then go to the furnace, and have your wife turn the stat up another 5 or 6 degrees.
    And see if you hear a change in its operating noise.

If not.
    Its possible your contractor wired it wrong.
    And you'll just need them to come out and correct the wiring.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    It can be hard to determine if a furnace is in first or second stage.

You may want to try this.

Turn your heat up one degree above room temp.

Then go to the furnace, and have your wife turn the stat up another 5 or 6 degrees.
    And see if you hear a change in its operating noise.

If not.
    Its possible your contractor wired it wrong.
    And you'll just need them to come out and correct the wiring.
    That will work if it has a 2 stage thermostat and has the jumpers set correct. That furnace also has the option of a single stage stat and timed secound stage. Again, you should notice a change in blower speed when changing from 1st to 2nd stage. I would have a pro come out and double check what you have and if the wiring and jumpers are set correctly.

Post Likes
    You should notice a change in blower speed and the speed of the inducer fan as well as "louder" flame as it increases in intensity.... if it's audible. Some cabinets are pretty quiet. You might also hear the gas valve open to the higher setting.

The bad news, is that you might have to sit there a while.

On my unit, it goes from somewhere around 750CFM to 900CFM, so to me it's a pretty noticeable increase in airflow comming form the vents. Although... my humidifier bypass pipe has a damper on it so it also can increase or decrease the air flow by almost 150 CFM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in