Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Under the brilliant Midwestern Moon or Sun (depending on time of day).
    wormy,

I just can't thank you enough for the expansive details you are volunteering to post here.
    It definitely helps to fill in the blanks for those of us not fluent in these matters. KUDOS!!!

But all answers bring various pieces to the table to fill the puzzle & are helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post

I might have missed it somewhere... but why are you wanting to run the fan in continuous mode?

Just wanting to get whats "coming to me" from our air cleaner & keep us healthier. My understanding is that if you don't use constant fan, you're not getting much use out of your air cleaner.

But presently, we're not using constant-on, due to our fan is single (high) speed, & it makes us too uncomfortable from airiness et cetera.
    And we were looking forward to using much slower Constant-On Fan speeds that we could live with comfort wise, which is in doubt to me now though when all things are considered.

....I'm not sure how the system does the profiles if the fan is in the on position......

To be honest ... I may just have to forget about Constant-On Fan ... which gives Cleaner Air properties per se.

Frankly (as to Constant-On) ... with concerns of injecting humid air into the home during summer ... and concerns of injecting colder air into the home during winter ... this kind of ruins the concept of truly effective air cleaning!!!

Add to this the possible seasonal wiring situations etc. & other functional complications, and I think it's more trouble than it's worth to deal with in retrospect.

But for other readers, I'll say that in spite of all this, I'll be glad I have an Air Cleaner nonetheless, at least it will clean the air SOME of the time.

And at least I don't have severe allergies etc., so as to REALLY need "full" Air Cleaner properties.

It's a bit frustrating, this issue, but not everything operates together seemlessly in these things, I'm learning.

I think others with Air Cleaner interests, will find this thread enlightening on the issue as to Variable Speed Profile compatibility concerns with it.

The TCONT402 with the BK terminal connected has the following options built into the thermostat.
    Variable speed turn-on profiles: ........

.....If Comfort-R is turned on in the furnace,
    the thermostat no longer has control.
    The furnace board will take over and use its Profile....

Ohhhh ... I see!

The Tstat (at least this one) can actually do by itself, what Comfort-R does from furnace. I obviously didn't know that. Indeed, this has been NEWS to me, & I'm glad to understand that now.

So that's why you said to turn Comfort-R off at furnace.
    You were not saying ... dont use Comfort-R type of features ... but simply you were saying instead, to use Tstat to accomplish the same thing.
    I get it. I get it.

I suppose other Tstats offer those variable speed profiles as well then, of course. Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Whats wrong with a new stat every couple years.

Ha!
    Hey there ... your're just trying to keep yourself in
    business ... that's what your trying to do.
    How dare you!!! (Very funny)

I may choose to go with a nonCommunicating Tstat as I'm thinking about this.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post
    I have Comfort-R configured and use it for air cleaning with the fan set to "ON". In the summer the fan will perform the Comfort-R ramp up and then return to the low speed after the cooling cycle, and the condenser off time seems to increase when using the fan on setting, but any mositure removed by Comfort-R gets put back into the house during this condenser off/fan on time--you can feel it. For this reason I only use the fan on mode during the heating season.
    There's been such activity on this thread, that some of it hasn't totatally registered to me.

What you said confuses me compared with what the Comfort-R Pocket Guide indicated about Constant-On (Hmmm).

I don't know, maybe there's a difference in just using Constant-On from Tstat, versus the points made on "wiring" setups referred to in the Comfort-R Pocket Guide, as being the reason that Comfort-R is prevented by using Constant-On.

It's all baffling to me. Oh well.

If I could make out (read) the little encircled numbers on the Comfort-R Pocket Guide next to each wiring diagram shown for Constant-On Fan Speeds, I'd have some answers immediately on parts of this.

Life goes on, ha.

Thanks so much.

running fan "on" constantly in the cool mode is going to put some moisture back into your house

that can be explained to you when it is not so early in the morning

I suppose other Tstats offer those variable speed profiles as well then, of course. Interesting.
    tcont402 is the only trane stat that has the built in profiles
    you''ll have to use the fan profiles built into the furnace if you choose a different stat

Just a "for what it's worth"
    You're post reminded me of this, and I thought its a pretty nifty feature
    of the TCONT402
    This stat can be used on a hydronic heat system.
    Hot water heater supply's hot water to a heating coil in the ductwork
    sort of like a car's radiator in the duct.
    When the TCONT402 asks for the heat to come on,
    it will bring on a pump to move hot water through the heating coil and
    back to the water heater.
    It then brings on the blower and continuously modulates the speed of the
    blower to maintain the temp asked for on the stat.
    Sort of like adjusting the fan speed for your cars defrost
    This type system would have the blower running pretty much all
    winter long and it would always be blowing warm air

Trane used to have a 'TRUE' variable speed system.
    Not only did the blower speed up and slow down,
    but the outside section's compressor and outdoor fan
    also ramped up and down.
    The system was well ahead of its time.
    We have 4 or 5 left in our area.
    On the ones that have died, all of them have asked for
    the same kind of system back.... but they don't make it
    any more.
    Wished our company would at least make the offer
    for a 2 stage compressor system, but thats the way it goes
    I did have one person that had me completely rebuild his
    when his compressor and compressor controls went out.
    He invested as much into the repairs as he would have had
    in a new unit.
    He knew how well the system worked with controlling the humidity
    and temp in the house which were very very important to him.
    He came back from Vietnam with a disease or 'something' that
    would break out all over his body if he gets hot (over 68 in the summer, which normal A/C's tend to freeze up at that temp) or
    if its humid in the house.
    I forgot what the SEER rating was on that thing...
    somewhere around 20 or so.... but I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by SmackDabAOK View Post
    wormy,

I just can't thank you enough for the expansive details you are volunteering to post here.
    It definitely helps to fill in the blanks for those of us not fluent in these matters. KUDOS!!!

But all answers bring various pieces to the table to fill the puzzle & are helpful.

I may choose to go with a nonCommunicating Tstat as I'm thinking about this.

There's been such activity on this thread, that some of it hasn't totatally registered to me.

What you said confuses me compared with what the Comfort-R Pocket Guide indicated about Constant-On (Hmmm).

I don't know, maybe there's a difference in just using Constant-On from Tstat, versus the points made on "wiring" setups referred to in the Comfort-R Pocket Guide, as being the reason that Comfort-R is prevented by using Constant-On.

It's all baffling to me. Oh well.

If I could make out (read) the little encircled numbers on the Comfort-R Pocket Guide next to each wiring diagram shown for Constant-On Fan Speeds, I'd have some answers immediately on parts of this.

Life goes on, ha.

Thanks so much.
    My bad. I am confusing the issue by what I said. My unit is wired for Comfort R so during the cooling period it will go through the ramp up. When the fan is set to continuous it will continue to run when the outside condenser has shut off. The confusion is coming with what I said because I also have a VS blower which I think means that when the unit shuts off and the fan continues to run it is running in low speed which for a VS blower means that low speed is lower by 30%.

Perhaps one of the pros can correct the confusion around air speed and VS blower. All I know is that when the fan is set to continuous I get a very low air flow summer and winter which does not cause a draft. During the summer even this low airflow introduces moisture back into the house so I leave the fan set to auto during the cooling season.

tcont402 is the only trane stat that has the built in profiles
    you''ll have to use the fan profiles built into the furnace if you choose a different stat

But in general, isn't there likely other nonTrane Tstats with built in VS profiles, that would work with Trane units? (I haven't researched this yet at all.)

This stat can be used on a hydronic heat system.
    Hot water heater supply's hot water to a heating coil in the ductwork sort of like a car's radiator in the duct.

That's really neat.

I'd have been interested in that probably, but we recently updated to tankless waterheater.

Trane used to have a 'TRUE' variable speed system.
    Not only did the blower speed up and slow down,
    but the outside section's compressor and outdoor fan
    also ramped up and down.
    The system was well ahead of its time.

What a shame ... they definitely should bring that back.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrod6 View Post
    My bad. I am confusing the issue by what I said. My unit is wired for Comfort R so during the cooling period it will go through the ramp up. When the fan is set to continuous it will continue to run when the outside condenser has shut off. The confusion is coming with what I said because I also have a VS blower which I think means that when the unit shuts off and the fan continues to run it is running in low speed which for a VS blower means that low speed is lower by 30%...

But I think from what you said ... your Comfort-R, & your Constant-On, did work together.
    One did not prevent the other.

Where-as, the Comfort-R Pocket Guide (I think) may have been indicating that this was not possible.

That's what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by SmackDabAOK View Post
    But I think from what you said ... your Comfort-R, & your Constant-On, did work together.
    One did not prevent the other.

Where-as, the Comfort-R Pocket Guide (I think) may have been indicating that this was not possible.

That's what I was referring to.
    Yes as far as I know mine works together. My my system was installed in 2002, the VISION PRO Tstat installed in 2004. Perhaps the specs have changed?

But in general, isn't there likely other nonTrane Tstats with built in VS profiles, that would work with Trane units? (I haven't researched this yet at all.)
    The TCONT402 stat is the only on that can send the correct signal
    to the Trane Board to tell the board what to do.

I wished they had some more stats that can do that, but they don't

Out of all honesty, I haven't had my hands on the full blown communicating system from Trane. It has a stat similiar to the IAQ, but I havn't been able
    to get any better details

I do know that Carrier Infinity has a really nice control scheme but
    there again... it would require matching Infinity Furnace and Infinity stat.
    At least it has the humidistat built in. The infinity system communicates
    with the stat and has WAY WAY more features than the Trane.
    ie. THe Infinity system can 'sense' when the filter is getting dirty and
    remind you when to replace the filter.
    It senses the humidity in the house and modulates the blower speed
    accordingly to maintain what you want.
    Its by far, the most feature rich thermostat/control I've ever seen for
    residential.
    http://www.residential.carrier.com/i...infinity.shtml

The next step down from the infinity (I should add.... BIG step)
    is the Carrier Edge thermostat.
    They have one with built in humidistat that can slow down
    the blower if the humidity gets high

Put it this way.....
    Trane variable speed units have a terminal marked BK
    The TCONT402 sends a special 'pulse' if you will to that terminal
    I don't know of any other stats that are 'compatible' with the Trane
    board that can control fan speeds and timing.

The TCONT402 stat is the only on that can send the correct signal
    to the Trane Board to tell the board what to do.

I wished they had some more stats that can do that, but they don't......

Put it this way.....
    Trane variable speed units have a terminal marked BK
    The TCONT402 sends a special 'pulse' if you will to that terminal
    I don't know of any other stats that are 'compatible' with the Trane
    board that can control fan speeds and timing

Let me see if I'm reading this right (& pardon my ignorance):

No other Tstats (other than Trane's TCONT402) who have VS Profiles in them, can use their Profile signals to/with a VS Trane Furnace ... but on the other hand, Trane's own in-house Comfort-R itself can function fine even though hooked up with certain nonTrane Tstats?
    And is this because Comfort-R directly signals itself (furnace) as to VS fan commands, bypassing the Tstat with those signals (of course after receiving on call from temp through Tstat)?

Am I passing the test?

This certainly does make Tstats a more limited choice to make.

I certanly wish TCONT402 had CIRC on it. And it still is tempting to me nonetheless, after this discussion. Hmmm!

I am going to have to read up on other Comfort-R & Tstat combination options (as others mentioned) to decide which way I want to go. But TCONT402 is definitely in the mix.

I do know that Carrier Infinity has a really nice control scheme but there again... it would require matching Infinity Furnace and Infinity stat.

Brand matching etc., limiting factors in many ways.

If you have a variable speed blower (which the furnace you mentioned will have)
    AND the BK connected to the BK terminal in the stat....
    then you can adjust the fan speed when the fan is in the ON position.

Press and hold the Fan button, then an option pops up where you
    can adjust the airflow from 35-100%.........

.........If you do get this stat and BK is enabled,
    then be sure not to turn on Comfort-R at the furnace.
    The stat will control fan timing and speed control.

Hey, I wanted to ask you something!

When connecting the BK to the BK terminal in the Tstat ... in order to have the continuous fan at 35% option ... does this mean you are necessarily choosing & using one of TCONT402's VS Profiles to use in place of Comfort-R?

In other-words, is choosing a VS Profile "the" method that makes 35% continuous fan option available?

This was my impression from what you explained.

CLARIFICATION ......... I was not sure on that info.

Thanks

This has become a DIY thread.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345