View Poll Results: when will we get to 4,000 posts?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • june 12

38 25.00%
  • june 20

33 21.71%
  • july 1

30 19.74%
  • july 12

51 33.55%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OUR DEAR FRIEND HAS CANCER FCS

Post Likes
    evening all
    If you help others then you are a Success

Post Likes
    no dummy!

Art is chopped liver!

who's on first?

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    whaddami? chopped livers?
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    oh Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The City of Chicago's Name
    Most people believe that the name Chicago came from Indian tribes meaning 'skunk' or 'wild onion' but there are also historians who have looked at other Indian tribes and found out that Chicago means great and powerful. They say Chicago was a word when refering to the Mississippi River, thunder, and a God of theirs.

Here are opinions and insights from FAQ Farmers:

•The name "Chicago" in the language of the Potowatomi Indian tribe means, "Wild Onion, wild and smelly."

•In my own opinion, the word 'Chicago' is a French word and not Amerindian. It seems unlikely that an Amerindian word would include the first five letters of the French words: '[chica]ne' defined as 'chicanery'; and '[chica]ner' defined as 'vex', 'annoy', 'play tricks upon'. It may be a word the early French explorers and traders used to describe the difficult passage through the waterways of Chicago Portage.

•I once saw a documentary on public television about the history of Chicago, in part, the documetarians suggested that the name did come in part from the constant awful odor that came from large portions of the land. In addition they believe it was derrived from the apparent uselessness of some of the land. However they didn't compare the stench to onions. These historians claim that the name was derived from "s**t" as in Chicago > Shicago > ****cago. Nobody seems to believe it...

•I have heard, since childhood, that Chicago comes from a native term for a variety of wild onion which was marked by it's smell. As common as it sounds, it seems to be very reasonable and often what is reasonable is the fact over far-fetched and novel tales. As is the nature with many Midwestern native words, the word would have first been transcribed by the French according to what their ear heard and by their language's phonetic rules "shee-cah-GO"... Then, as is common in this region, it would be semi anglicised by the second wave of Euro settlers (anglos), to fit their linguistic sensitivities. Here one can reasonably expect that the i vowel was shortened to accomodate English phonetics yet the soft ch would have remained since, at the begining of the word, it dominated the word's pronounciation and was not easy to ignore. Native word? some may ask. It's clear by knowing how the French would have heard and trancribed native Great Lakes regional tongues, that the vowel and consonnant sounds in French "Chicago" can be found in the region's native languages. "Michigan" for example is the French trancription of a native word. Here we hear the soft ch "sh", the long i,in French: "ee", the g,"g", and the long a, in French: "ah". All these sounds belong also to the way the French would have heard and repronounced Chicago. Other regional Native words trancribed by the French are: Michilmackinac, Charlevoix, Muskegon, and Leelanaw, to name a few. Why name a region after a wild onion? Understand, it is well known that the mouth of the Chicago River was surrounded by marsh. In wild portions of the Great Lakes region one will see how, where a river lets out, on approach inland FROM the lake, one passes first a sandy beach, then a natural dyke of dune, then there is often marsh before solid land is again regained. Spring Lake, off the Grand River, Grand Haven, MI; and Oxbow Lake, (on a much smaller scale), off the Kalamazoo river in Saugatuk, MI, are good examples of the beach,dyke,marsh progression. Such a marsh is rich in habitat and very valuable to a hunting/fishing people. A marsh as rich as the Chicago marshland would have been well known, widley discussed and require a name. Those who have lived close to nature know that people in a region may often refer to a land feature by plants encountered there; Briar Hill, Cedar Lake, and the Oak Woods. In addition, sometimes the most pernicious plants will be the ones to mark the identity of the area. We had "the pricker field" on our land. We grew many things there but since the prickers were the most unpleasant feature it wasoften rederred to as the pricker field. If one has ever walked through a patch of skunk cabbage one can imagine hunting or fishing in a marsh abundant in wild onions, one breaks the stalks while moving through and by the end of the day is covered in the scent of onion. would that not be Smelly and thus noteworthy?. "I know where you went today," says the squaw to her brave, "you were in stinky onion land, Chicago." Anyone who's marched through a lage patch of skunk cabbage knows what I'm saying here... All this explored, I personally don't hold a document in hand saying that "Chicago" is old Pottawatomi for place of the stinky onion however, all that is stated above gives good reason for not doubting this commonly held belief.

•Chicago was founded by Jean Baptiste Point du Sable, who was 1/2 French and 1/2 African. However, he married a Potawatomi woman and had his family there. I know that the name is indigenous American, and not french, so he probably knew Potawatomi language (since he probably wanted to talk to his wife) and named Chicago for either "smelly onion" or "garlic place" (I have heard of both, not sure what the direct translation is considering that indigenous languages often have words for things that we do not have words for exactly).

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_did_Ch...#ixzz18W5btFwP

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    who's on first?
    I don't know....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I don't know....
    THIRD base...........
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Post Likes
    yes
    i dont know is on third!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    no dummy!

Art is chopped liver!

who's on first?
    well, i've been called , and answered to, worse than that...........
    \m/

Post Likes
    \m/

Post Likes
    my favorite is the short stop!

Post Likes
    Whooooo!

Post Likes
    by your Mom????????????????

well, i've been called , and answered to, worse than that...........

Post Likes
    naturally!.........
    \m/

Post Likes
    now youve got it!

naturally!.........

Post Likes
    I throw the ball to naturally!

Post Likes
    25 divided by 5 equals 14
    \m/

Post Likes
    You don't!

You throw it to Who!

Post Likes
    That always cracked me up!

Makes you wonder what 25/5 actually is?

25 divided by 5 equals 14

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Hey frank how goes things in KC?

Post Likes
    I got photoshop CS4 I wish I could learn how to use it better. It takes me an hour to delete an object from a photo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 991 of 1687 FirstFirst ... 4918919419819849859869879889899909919929939949959969979981001104110911491 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in