View Poll Results: when will we get to 4,000 posts?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • june 12

    35 25.18%
  • june 20

    31 22.30%
  • july 1

    26 18.71%
  • july 12

    47 33.81%
  1. #27210
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,949
    Post Likes
    I spent two hours on the test. When it was complete, I had been up for13 hours.

    Now, I wait.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  2. #27211
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    10,000
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I spent two hours on the test. When it was complete, I had been up for13 hours.

    Now, I wait.
    So when will you know ?
    If you help others then you are a Success

  3. #27212
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    26,661
    Post Likes

  4. #27213
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,949
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    If I remember correctly, it takes about 2-3 weeks.
    That's what the proctor said, too.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  5. #27214
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,949
    Post Likes
    Good morning, Bret and everyone!

    I came home last night, made dinner, finished it, and I was in bed in no time. Mentally wiped.

    Now, I go online and take a flight instructor renewal course for a week or so, then I go to the FSDO in Philly and they file the form 8710 and my printed cert.

    I worked too hard to get that ticket to let it lapse. I have to do that every two years.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  6. #27215
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Likes
    'Morning Bret and everyone.

  7. #27216
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    351
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    That's what the proctor said, too.
    I took the test on a Saturday afternoon and the results were posted online on Wednesday. It was quick. Granted i live in upstate NY and it only had to be mailed to Illinois so it didn't have long to travel to get graded. Good luck!

    -Mark
    RSES CM Member
    NCI Certified Air Balancer and CO/Combustion Analyst
    NATE Senior technician - Energy efficiency analyst and 7 other NATE Service certifications

    Never stop learning!

  8. #27217
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    10,000
    Post Likes
    Evening all
    If you help others then you are a Success

  9. #27218
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    10,000
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Good morning, Bret and everyone!

    I came home last night, made dinner, finished it, and I was in bed in no time. Mentally wiped.

    Now, I go online and take a flight instructor renewal course for a week or so, then I go to the FSDO in Philly and they file the form 8710 and my printed cert.

    I worked too hard to get that ticket to let it lapse. I have to do that every two years.
    What happens if you laps for a few months dyou you have to start from scratch again?
    If you help others then you are a Success

  10. #27219
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,666
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Good morning, Bret and everyone!

    I came home last night, made dinner, finished it, and I was in bed in no time. Mentally wiped.

    Now, I go online and take a flight instructor renewal course for a week or so, then I go to the FSDO in Philly and they file the form 8710 and my printed cert.

    I worked too hard to get that ticket to let it lapse. I have to do that every two years.
    Art,
    We are working with a company that designs/builds flight simulators and it has been told to me that in the next 5 years there will be a need to train tens of thousands of pilots. All that being said, with your experience and hours in the cockpit...would this be a opportunistic fit for you to make some excellent money at instructing with a shortage of qualified experienced people..??
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  11. #27220
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,949
    Post Likes
    Well, that's a somewhat complicated idea. For several years now, they have talked about a "pilot shortage." It happened once before, in the 1960's.

    The reason it happens is because the companies fail to offer enough money to attract qualified people. What they end up with is a lot of folks who love to fly, but don't want to sit reserve for low pay for a year or two before they can bid decent lines (flight requests.)

    As for me, even though they raised the mandatory retirement age for part 121 pilots (scheduled airlines) I am too close to it for any of them to be interested.

    What they want as their ideal candidate is this:
    a 21 year old female African American who is an Iraq veteran and aviation degree holder, and who is still supported by her family so they don't have to pay her much money.

    Old white guy who fits into no "protected class status groups" is a dime a dozen to them.

    It's a game of politics and money, and I am not their preferred game piece.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  12. #27221
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,666
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Well, that's a somewhat complicated idea. For several years now, they have talked about a "pilot shortage." It happened once before, in the 1960's.

    The reason it happens is because the companies fail to offer enough money to attract qualified people. What they end up with is a lot of folks who love to fly, but don't want to sit reserve for low pay for a year or two before they can bid decent lines (flight requests.)

    As for me, even though they raised the mandatory retirement age for part 121 pilots (scheduled airlines) I am too close to it for any of them to be interested.

    What they want as their ideal candidate is this:
    a 21 year old female African American who is an Iraq veteran and aviation degree holder, and who is still supported by her family so they don't have to pay her much money.

    Old white guy who fits into no "protected class status groups" is a dime a dozen to them.

    It's a game of politics and money, and I am not their preferred game piece.
    Secondarily.....would they not also want/require huge numbers of instructors to achieve filling those vacancies?
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  13. #27222
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,949
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    Secondarily.....would they not also want/require huge numbers of instructors to achieve filling those vacancies?

    We have many more instructors than are needed for the students that are needed. Even when the economy was good, I never made 40 hours at my flight school in Reading, PA.

    I talked with a "pilot mill" flight school in Sanford, FL that was a feeder school for Delta, and they offered $7.25 an hour in 2002. In reading, I was making $10 more per hour.

    The aviation business is a pyramid scheme, because you need hours in your logbook to move up the pyramid. So, the "hours" become the major aspect of compensation, rather than the actual dollars. That is the reason that the pilots involved in the Dash-8 crash outside Buffalo NY were making so little money. The female (remember my post above) was making $19,000 or so per year, and the male captain was not making much more.

    My pay for the Lear 35/55 was a mere $29,000.

    So, the structure is laid out so everyone has to struggle to get near the top to get any money.

    That's why they may run short of pilots. Lot's of struggle, little money for many years.

    So, like HVAC, kids see this and say to themselves, "hey, I can make twice that writing apps for the Iphone, and I won't have to be exposed to this absurd system."
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







Page 2094 of 2419 FirstFirst ... 10941594199420442084208720882089209020912092209320942095209620972098209921002101210421442194 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.
Comfortech 365