View Poll Results: when will we get to 4,000 posts?

Voters
138. You may not vote on this poll
  • june 12

    35 25.36%
  • june 20

    31 22.46%
  • july 1

    26 18.84%
  • july 12

    46 33.33%
  1. #26417
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,657
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky05 View Post
    Another Mac user, my son welcomes you into the family, he has converted all of his family to Apple users, currently we have Ipads, Mac book laptops and at least 1 Imac. and that is just in this house. not to mention Iphones, and all the other music devices that we ave acquired over the years. I should have purchased stock in this company long ago.

    Yup...same here...they're like Digi-Cool.......they just work....
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  2. #26418
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,657
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    that was a short weekend!!!!!!!!!!!
    That's what Helen said...
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  3. #26419
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,609
    Post Likes
    Good morning, Bret and everyone!
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  4. #26420
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,590
    Post Likes
    'Mornin' Bret and everyone.. Well, buying an off the shelf system would have been easier, but putting one together is easy for anyone who's not afraid to pick up a Phillips and has some advantages:
    -saves me a few bucks
    -when the machine gets old, I can upgrade on the cheap (try a major upgrade with a Mac lol)
    -gets me EXACTLY what I need - no more, no less.
    Bonus points: allows to avoid paying the Windows tax (paying for an operating system that I don't use). A few years back, I bought a laptop that came with Vista and ended up running Linux on it. Got all the benefits of Mac but I can run it on any hardware that I want and can tweak it to fit my use.

    By the way, fixing the cooling worked.. During the torture test, it was running 20 degrees cooler.. Needed a bit of work with side cutters and foil tape to make it happen though

  5. #26421
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,657
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    'Mornin' Bret and everyone.. Well, buying an off the shelf system would have been easier, but putting one together is easy for anyone who's not afraid to pick up a Phillips and has some advantages:
    -saves me a few bucks
    -when the machine gets old, I can upgrade on the cheap (try a major upgrade with a Mac lol)
    -gets me EXACTLY what I need - no more, no less.
    Bonus points: allows to avoid paying the Windows tax (paying for an operating system that I don't use). A few years back, I bought a laptop that came with Vista and ended up running Linux on it. Got all the benefits of Mac but I can run it on any hardware that I want and can tweak it to fit my use.

    By the way, fixing the cooling worked.. During the torture test, it was running 20 degrees cooler.. Needed a bit of work with side cutters and foil tape to make it happen though
    There's no such thing as a major upgrade of a PC.....the technology ALWAYS leaves the 'left in' product as the achilles heel of the unit, not to mention the MTBF has these old products nearing EOL. I've got three old macbooks around the house.....in various spots to allow me access to files (as you know they automatically network together) and email/internet. They are still upgrading through Apple and other than HD upgrades to handle the files, they are all working. I am waiting for the MBAir with 15" screen and 700GB SSHD and then we'll have a screamer.
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  6. #26422
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,992
    Post Likes
    morning all
    If you help others then you are a Success

  7. #26423
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,992
    Post Likes
    went down for the count at church Sunday That freak a few people out. I think what freak them out more is how Andy an Andy were no don't need to get one of the Doctors and responded. One person said wow you guys a common and handle like it's a daily thing. Andy looked her and said at every daily but your close.

    I found the look on her face fun.
    If you help others then you are a Success

  8. #26424
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,609
    Post Likes
    What a doctor he would make!!

  9. #26425
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    13,911
    Post Likes
    LOL!

    you are on a roll doug!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    i need to fix my computer so we can skype!!!!!!!!!!

    i have to replace the motherboard AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    That's what Helen said...
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  10. #26426
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,590
    Post Likes
    Doug, my lappy served me for 5 years, over 3 continents, crashing bush, taking cargo trains, float planes, choppers, all that jazz.. Eventyally, the Ethernet adapter went flaky on me. Also, no computer sold at the time could comfortably do what I'm currently doing, Mac or otherwise, so time came for an upgrade. It's still gonna get used for travel and a bit around the house but not as my main system. The main system was $700 all told and will run circles around anything made by Apple. As for sharing, I got a NAS that any computer/phone/tablet on the local network can access, with 2 hard drives mirroring each other - if 1 craps out, my movie collection's still safe

    One thing I can agree on with you West Coast Starbucks-going, mocha-late frappuccino with minty chocolate sprinkles-drinking Mac fanboi hipsters is that I'm glad I've said f... off to Microsoft back in '08 and never looked back

    Again, stinky? What are you doing to those things?! At least go to town on it with compressed air twice a year!

  11. #26427
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,657
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    Doug, my lappy served me for 5 years, over 3 continents, crashing bush, taking cargo trains, float planes, choppers, all that jazz.. Eventyally, the Ethernet adapter went flaky on me. Also, no computer sold at the time could comfortably do what I'm currently doing, Mac or otherwise, so time came for an upgrade. It's still gonna get used for travel and a bit around the house but not as my main system. The main system was $700 all told and will run circles around anything made by Apple. As for sharing, I got a NAS that any computer/phone/tablet on the local network can access, with 2 hard drives mirroring each other - if 1 craps out, my movie collection's still safe

    One thing I can agree on with you West Coast Starbucks-going, mocha-late frappuccino with minty chocolate sprinkles-drinking Mac fanboi hipsters is that I'm glad I've said f... off to Microsoft back in '08 and never looked back

    Again, stinky? What are you doing to those things?! At least go to town on it with compressed air twice a year!
    MR.....if you've got a Mac running an Extreme Airport/TM B/U on N you don't need an ethernet connector......and then it'll work on the free WiFi at ANY Starbucks whilst you're talking like, like, totally awesome gossip fer sure and sipping your Chai Latte with a extra shot of Vanilla on the couches with the other dudes........totally.
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  12. #26428
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,590
    Post Likes
    Morning Bret and everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    MR.....if you've got a Mac running an Extreme Airport/TM B/U on N you don't need an ethernet connector......and then it'll work on the free WiFi at ANY Starbucks whilst you're talking like, like, totally awesome gossip fer sure and sipping your Chai Latte with a extra shot of Vanilla on the couches with the other dudes........totally.
    Lol.. Doug, this is coming from someone who's done wireless router development.. There are uses for WiFi.. I find it great for connecting mobile devices to the home network.. Even streaming at short distances is ok. But it is running on unregulated radio spectrum and a whole bunch of stuff can interfere with it, from other wireless networks, to your microwave.. I've even been in a house where some creative wiring was done so every time the furnace kicked in, it disrupted most of the wireless connections. A hard-wired Ethernet connection is a lot more robust for a stationary computer (my lappy being a 17" as I needed the size for work, I didn't like moving it around the house too much - I bought it so I could work with it, but still take it to jobsites). Once you get into densely populated areas, wireless interference can get rough.. Also, going through a bunch of old construction walls can create problems. Then you have the frequency type to worry about - 2.4GHz is not bad for going through walls and distances but slow, while 5GHz is great for streaming to nearby devices but it's got short range and gets absorbed easily.. Instead of thinking about all that, I like to plug in a cable and have everything work, every time

    P.S. If you value your privacy, I hope you're using a VPN service on those free public WiFi's

  13. #26429
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    13,911
    Post Likes
    I wish i would have switched years ago.
    I was too cheap.

    But i can still buy mocha lotte sprinkles!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    Doug, my lappy served me for 5 years, over 3 continents, crashing bush, taking cargo trains, float planes, choppers, all that jazz.. Eventyally, the Ethernet adapter went flaky on me. Also, no computer sold at the time could comfortably do what I'm currently doing, Mac or otherwise, so time came for an upgrade. It's still gonna get used for travel and a bit around the house but not as my main system. The main system was $700 all told and will run circles around anything made by Apple. As for sharing, I got a NAS that any computer/phone/tablet on the local network can access, with 2 hard drives mirroring each other - if 1 craps out, my movie collection's still safe

    One thing I can agree on with you West Coast Starbucks-going, mocha-late frappuccino with minty chocolate sprinkles-drinking Mac fanboi hipsters is that I'm glad I've said f... off to Microsoft back in '08 and never looked back

    Again, stinky? What are you doing to those things?! At least go to town on it with compressed air twice a year!

Page 2033 of 2414 FirstFirst ... 10331533193319832023202620272028202920302031203220332034203520362037203820392040204320832133 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.
Comfortech 365