View Poll Results: when will we get to 4,000 posts?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • june 12

    33 24.63%
  • june 20

    31 23.13%
  • july 1

    26 19.40%
  • july 12

    44 32.84%
  1. #25611
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,718
    Nothing like a morning in a treestand to refresh the body, spirit and mind.

    Saw a couple deer this morning, but they weren't in range for an ethical shot, so I never reached for the bow. Just enjoyed watching them.

    I think that tomorrow, I'm taking my youngest to just watch the woods wake up.

    We'll sit in a blind and watch and listen to the woods as the sun rises.

  2. #25612
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    How long have you been Marrried

    24 years.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  3. #25613
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,718
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    24 years.
    You know that you can get out of that without risking jail for killing her, right??


  4. #25614
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You know that you can get out of that without risking jail for killing her, right??


    Yes but it's cheaper to keep her.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  5. #25615
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,616
    Good morning, Bret and everyone!
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  6. #25616
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    Mornin bert ant art!

  7. #25617
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,512
    Good afternoon Bert,Art and stinky.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  8. #25618
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,616
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    Good afternoon Bert,Art and stinky.
    Last night, I was watching "how the states got their shapes," and they mentioned that Florida has the country's largest cattle ranch. I also found out that "cracker" comes from the cracking of the whips used to herd the cattle by the "cow hunters."

    There is even a children's book about this!

    http://www.amazon.com/Kissimmee-Pete.../dp/1589803256
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  9. #25619
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    Last night, I was watching "how the states got their shapes," and they mentioned that Florida has the country's largest cattle ranch. I also found out that "cracker" comes from the cracking of the whips used to herd the cattle by the "cow hunters."

    There is even a children's book about this!

    http://www.amazon.com/Kissimmee-Pete.../dp/1589803256

    I could have told ya that.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  10. #25620
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    i was always told it was from the crack of the whip , whipping the slaves?????????

    so, what? African Americans love cows???????????

    PETA????????? now i am really confused?????????

    please help??????
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  11. #25621
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,833
    Cracker (pejorative)


    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Jump to: navigation, search














    Georgia crackers c.1873
    Cracker, sometimes white cracker or cracka, is a pejorative expression word for white people,[1] especially poor rural whites in the Southern United States. In reference to a native of Florida or Georgia, however, it can be used in a more neutral context and is sometimes used self-descriptively with pride.[2]





    Contents
    [hide] 1 Etymology
    2 Examples of usage
    3 See also
    4 References
    5 External links


    [edit] Etymology

    There are multiple theories of the etymology of "cracker", most dating its origin to the 18th century or earlier.

    One theory holds that slaver foremen in the antebellum South used bullwhips to discipline African slaves, with such use of the whip being described as 'cracking the whip'. The white foremen who cracked these whips thus became known as "crackers".[3][4][5][6]


    They are called by the town's-people, "Crackers," from the frequency with which they crack their large whips, as if they derived a peculiar pleasure from the sound"[7]

    Another theory is based on Florida's "cracker cowboys" of the 19th and early 20th centuries; distinct from the Spanish vaquero and the Western cowboy. Cracker cowboys did not use lassos to herd or capture cattle. Their primary tools were cow whips and dogs.[8][citation needed]

    Another theory traces this term from Middle English word "cnac" or "craic" which also originally meant the sound of a cracking whip, but came to refer to any loud noise. In Elizabethan times this could refer to "entertaining conversation" (one may be said to "crack" a joke) and could be used to describe loud braggarts; this term and the Gaelic spelling craic are still in use in Ireland, Scotland and Northern England. It is documented in Shakespeare's King John (1595): "What cracker is this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath?"[9][10]

    Yet another theory holds that the term comes from the common diet of poor whites. The 1911 edition of Encyclopedia Britannica supposes that the term derives from the cracked corn from which formed their staple food of this class of people.[11]
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  12. #25622
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    Cracker (pejorative)


    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    Jump to: navigation, search














    Georgia crackers c.1873
    Cracker, sometimes white cracker or cracka, is a pejorative expression word for white people,[1] especially poor rural whites in the Southern United States. In reference to a native of Florida or Georgia, however, it can be used in a more neutral context and is sometimes used self-descriptively with pride.[2]





    Contents
    [hide] 1 Etymology
    2 Examples of usage
    3 See also
    4 References
    5 External links


    [edit] Etymology

    There are multiple theories of the etymology of "cracker", most dating its origin to the 18th century or earlier.

    One theory holds that slaver foremen in the antebellum South used bullwhips to discipline African slaves, with such use of the whip being described as 'cracking the whip'. The white foremen who cracked these whips thus became known as "crackers".[3][4][5][6]


    They are called by the town's-people, "Crackers," from the frequency with which they crack their large whips, as if they derived a peculiar pleasure from the sound"[7]

    Another theory is based on Florida's "cracker cowboys" of the 19th and early 20th centuries; distinct from the Spanish vaquero and the Western cowboy. Cracker cowboys did not use lassos to herd or capture cattle. Their primary tools were cow whips and dogs.[8][citation needed]

    Another theory traces this term from Middle English word "cnac" or "craic" which also originally meant the sound of a cracking whip, but came to refer to any loud noise. In Elizabethan times this could refer to "entertaining conversation" (one may be said to "crack" a joke) and could be used to describe loud braggarts; this term and the Gaelic spelling craic are still in use in Ireland, Scotland and Northern England. It is documented in Shakespeare's King John (1595): "What cracker is this same that deafs our ears with this abundance of superfluous breath?"[9][10]

    Yet another theory holds that the term comes from the common diet of poor whites. The 1911 edition of Encyclopedia Britannica supposes that the term derives from the cracked corn from which formed their staple food of this class of people.[11]

    So I'm confusing.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  13. #25623
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    GTA, ON
    Posts
    1,270
    Mornin' Bret and everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    By the looks of what????
    Have I suddenly displayed a lack of economic understanding, a requirement for the hippie approach?
    Just a lack of being the first person to post in the AM.. So we figured, you've joined a commune and started getting up in the PM

    Quote Originally Posted by RayD8630 View Post
    Whoa Frankies finally back!
    ....Or I havent been around?
    Or both Welcome back

Page 1971 of 2282 FirstFirst ... 9711471187119211961196419651966196719681969197019711972197319741975197619771978198120212071 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event