View Poll Results: when will we get to 4,000 posts?

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • june 12

    35 25.18%
  • june 20

    31 22.30%
  • july 1

    26 18.71%
  • july 12

    47 33.81%
  1. #24584
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,658
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RayD8630 View Post
    Thought about it. Took a wrong turn at Albuquerque I guess.
    And here I thought you Maritimers had balls and a sense of adventure......I guess you live too close to the whining little b!tches in kebec....
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  2. #24585
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,253
    Post Likes
    Ilija (moon),so you got on with a commercial shop? I wish I could have been more help. I've lots of bigger boilers and controls over the years but other than the commercial heat pumps and boilers (all custom installs and not regular), we are not going in for standard RTU service even though that can be bread and butter.

    And, I do take on helpers and figure out if they are any good. Sometimes they last for a week, sometimes for longer and one lasted for 10 years, till I put the company on hold during my cancer. It is really hard now to find a young dude who doesn't sit on the smart phone all day or expect to be making $80k in 2 years, without quals.

    And I am so glad got my G1 20+ years ago, couldn't afford the time now.

    And Doug, we Maritimes DO have the balls and sense of adventure. It's in the bones "me son".

    And Art,.....very big condolences on your loss. Reading it in real time took me back a ways....

  3. #24586
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,634
    Post Likes
    Thanks, Mike.

    Good morning, Bret and everyone.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  4. #24587
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,658
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    Ilija (moon),so you got on with a commercial shop? I wish I could have been more help. I've lots of bigger boilers and controls over the years but other than the commercial heat pumps and boilers (all custom installs and not regular), we are not going in for standard RTU service even though that can be bread and butter.

    And, I do take on helpers and figure out if they are any good. Sometimes they last for a week, sometimes for longer and one lasted for 10 years, till I put the company on hold during my cancer. It is really hard now to find a young dude who doesn't sit on the smart phone all day or expect to be making $80k in 2 years, without quals.

    And I am so glad got my G1 20+ years ago, couldn't afford the time now.

    And Doug, we Maritimes DO have the balls and sense of adventure. It's in the bones "me son".

    And Art,.....very big condolences on your loss. Reading it in real time took me back a ways....
    After poking fun at the two 'younguns' about being adventuresome and tough enough to venture out into Alta.....I do appreciate the two facts that you presented. One is being that I hear you on the old body....after 35 years (Thursday was the start of my 36th year) doing this at 2-3X the pace of a normal man, I have 4 operations on my knee and a back that is to the point of standing for 4 hours or driving for 3 hours will cause me to have my legs go to sleep with pinched nerves.....spinal compression they call it. But I could change an M body 5 HP Coplametic by myself. As for the maritimer work ethic, Steven my buddy who left the Island in 2001 because of lack of work at 40+ years old is the guy that's making $24K/month now in Calgary as a project lead...yes that's $24,000/month. He was out in the Atlantic the night the Ocean Ranger went down....in a sister platform and ran leg pumps on 'hand' for 36 hours straight as you probably already know the electronics in the legs that were below the water line were 'telling the pumps' to basically keep flooding the LOW legs instead of the other way 'round. They realized it and ran them manually ...... so I know about the work ethic AND the crazy, crazy a$$ed sense of humour...
    For all the other guys out there DO NOT EVER DARE a maritimer to do anything .....if you do the next thing you know you'll be in jail!!!
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  5. #24588
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Likes
    'Mornin' Bret and everyone. Mike, didn't get a job in the trade yet, the part time work was supposed to be in an auto-mechanic's shop doing tire changes, but the guy didn't return my call. NBD, already got FT hours and it's decent $$$. We'll see what happens after the followups, plus there are a few more places to go to next week.

    Doug, I've seen islanders in the workplace and they've always been good at their jobs, so what you said about Steve doesn't surprise me. Also, a plumber doesn't get to run refer guys without bustin' hump (the smart way) through the ranks

  6. #24589
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,658
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    'Mornin' Bret and everyone. Mike, didn't get a job in the trade yet, the part time work was supposed to be in an auto-mechanic's shop doing tire changes, but the guy didn't return my call. NBD, already got FT hours and it's decent $$$. We'll see what happens after the followups, plus there are a few more places to go to next week.

    Doug, I've seen islanders in the workplace and they've always been good at their jobs, so what you said about Steve doesn't surprise me. Also, a plumber doesn't get to run refer guys without bustin' hump (the smart way) through the ranks
    Steven's from Halifax and worked in the dockyard for a number of years. He had an apprentice that moved too slow so one day he 'locked' a set of vice grips on the cheek of his a$$ !!!!
    NEVER had to tell him to hurry up again!!!
    When we worked together we never spoke but it was like machinery in
    Motion
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  7. #24590
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,253
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    Steven's from Halifax and worked in the dockyard for a number of years. He had an apprentice that moved too slow so one day he 'locked' a set of vice grips on the cheek of his a$$ !!!!
    NEVER had to tell him to hurry up again!!!
    When we worked together we never spoke but it was like machinery in
    Motion
    OHHH, you can't do the vise grip trick any more.....they will call mommy.

  8. #24591
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    1,591
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    OHHH, you can't do the vise grip trick any more.....they will call mommy.
    Put in a WSIB claim for loss of work due to damage to their thinking apparatus

  9. #24592
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,658
    Post Likes
    Can you frickin imagine what kind of pickle you'd be in trying to explain the location of that massive hickey to her old lady!!??
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  10. #24593
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    1,253
    Post Likes
    I'd like t be a fly on the wall when she sees it. HAHA. Kids can't take a kick in the a$$ any more, metaphorically speaking, of course

  11. #24594
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    831
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarMike View Post
    I'd like t be a fly on the wall when she sees it. HAHA. Kids can't take a kick in the a$$ any more, metaphorically speaking, of course
    Now a days they just whine that they were abused and blah blah blah.

    Then you see stories about the bus monitor in the States.

    I dont have kids. So my 2 cents here probably arent even worth that. But the generations after me seem to have a problem. Theyve gotten all this empowerment in school and think they can do whatever they want and no one can say anything because they can say its abuse and their parents end up paying for it.

    Ive eaten soap (luckily for me it was the oatmeal stuff from the fancy soap store), I got the wooden spoon when I lipped off. My dad wasnt afraid to put me in my place when I was being a little S#!+. Hate to say it but I turned okay. I have a nice place, working on the new furniture, a car thats paid for, and a job thats very good to me. And personally I'd like to think its because when I strayed too far off the beaten path, someone was there to guide me back to it.

    Doug I just got lost in the maritimes. I was born and raised for 19 years here in Ontario. Dont ask me what made me want to go that way lol. Seemed to be for the better though. They have a solid work ethic out there that I learned that has only helped me in the field here.

    Been a good day so far. Woken up to a service call. Two heat pump air handlers at a store we do plugged their drains. I put the nitrogen to it and forgot to plug the cleanout. End result is the apprentice is now covered with drain pan crap. LOL not the first time for me. I think its good luck to be honest. Now if you excuse me I gotta wash the big clumps out of my hair lol.
    Get money, get paid.

  12. #24595
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    23,634
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RayD8630 View Post
    Now a days they just whine that they were abused and blah blah blah.

    Then you see stories about the bus monitor in the States.
    I've worked on my anger management a lot since the 70s, but I gotta tell you, after I saw that video, I wanted to kick their little Ralph Lauren clad hineys.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  13. #24596
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,658
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RayD8630 View Post
    Now a days they just whine that they were abused and blah blah blah.

    Then you see stories about the bus monitor in the States.

    I dont have kids. So my 2 cents here probably arent even worth that. But the generations after me seem to have a problem. Theyve gotten all this empowerment in school and think they can do whatever they want and no one can say anything because they can say its abuse and their parents end up paying for it.

    Ive eaten soap (luckily for me it was the oatmeal stuff from the fancy soap store), I got the wooden spoon when I lipped off. My dad wasnt afraid to put me in my place when I was being a little S#!+. Hate to say it but I turned okay. I have a nice place, working on the new furniture, a car thats paid for, and a job thats very good to me. And personally I'd like to think its because when I strayed too far off the beaten path, someone was there to guide me back to it.

    Doug I just got lost in the maritimes. I was born and raised for 19 years here in Ontario. Dont ask me what made me want to go that way lol. Seemed to be for the better though. They have a solid work ethic out there that I learned that has only helped me in the field here.

    Been a good day so far. Woken up to a service call. Two heat pump air handlers at a store we do plugged their drains. I put the nitrogen to it and forgot to plug the cleanout. End result is the apprentice is now covered with drain pan crap. LOL not the first time for me. I think its good luck to be honest. Now if you excuse me I gotta wash the big clumps out of my hair lol.
    You'll do just fine when you have kids with that sense of direction/integrity and also work ethic Ray.....
    Keep it up....
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

Page 1892 of 2414 FirstFirst ... 89213921792184218821885188618871888188918901891189218931894189518961897189818991902194219922392 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.
Comfortech 365