View Poll Results: when will we get to 4,000 posts?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • june 12

    33 24.63%
  • june 20

    31 23.13%
  • july 1

    26 19.40%
  • july 12

    44 32.84%
  1. #24194
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,475
    You thick damn turkeys......
    We work in the 'maintenance' field and yap at our customers to do regular maintenance and then don't get check ups.....
    Geeeze.....what are you doing....?
    Start and go in at 40 annually and get your Head Pressure checked and check it regular, your wax level in your veins and get your bottom bearing re-packed by the Doc.....to make sure you don't spin a bearing and blow a main rod...

    I gotta tell ya (in the line of TMI), after my brother got diagnosed with prostate cancer, with us both having the same doctor, my last annual physical was not in my list of 'happy times with Dan'.....
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  2. #24195
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Same, relieved even.

    Your issues made me paranoid about a couple of small lesions on my left arm.
    They turned out to be benign granulomas, but they could have turned into something worse if I had continued to ignore them.
    Got a bit of a talking to about being over 40 and not having had a real checkup in >15 years too.
    Way to go Mark......keep it up...
    How's the old BTD1000 doing?...
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  3. #24196
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,642
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Same, relieved even.

    Your issues made me paranoid about a couple of small lesions on my left arm.
    They turned out to be benign granulomas, but they could have turned into something worse if I had continued to ignore them.
    Got a bit of a talking to about being over 40 and not having had a real checkup in >15 years too.
    glad to hear it was benign .

    And glad to hear my situation help raise awareness. If my cancer help 1 person then it has not been meaning less
    If you help others then you are a Success

  4. #24197
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    Way to go Mark......keep it up...
    How's the old BTD1000 doing?...
    It's "The Thing That Wouldn't Die"!
    It developed a limp, but a new low side transducer got it up and running in calibration again.

    It doesn't see daily use anymore, as it is one of 4 working digital sets I have, but it is my go to gauge set for contaminated systems and refrigerant recovery since I don't own any analogue gauges anymore.

    BTW, what ever happened with the Paradigm manifold?

    Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    glad to hear it was benign .

    And glad to hear my situation help raise awareness. If my cancer help 1 person then it has not been meaning less
    Yeah, it got me to thinking about my family history, 2 generations of smokers didn't make it to 60, so I got checked out.
    I don't smoke, but still...

    I've also spent $2000 building a highly overclocked, water cooled, computer system dedicated to distributed computing for cancer research projects burning $50/month worth of electricity running 24/7 at 100% CPU and video card load for the past 14 months.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  5. #24198
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    I gotta tell ya (in the line of TMI), after my brother got diagnosed with prostate cancer, with us both having the same doctor, my last annual physical was not in my list of 'happy times with Dan'.....
    Yeah, got the finger for the first time ever, that didn't involve a girl and entirely different circumstances.
    Is all ok, unless you feel 2 hands on your shoulders!

    I haven't gotten the scope yet, not looking forward to that...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  6. #24199
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    GTA, ON
    Posts
    1,273
    Been doing annual checkups on an annual basis since I was born, but then again, I've only lived in countries with healthcare funded by our tax dollars. Still, annual checkups are reasonably cheap and they can avert a bigger expenditure, so I don't see them as a waste - it's a good investment and something to consider in countries where your healthcare goes directly out of your pocket.

  7. #24200
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,790
    Good morning, Bret and everyone!
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  8. #24201
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    windy city
    Posts
    4,439
    guten morgen............ y'all.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

  9. #24202
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,514
    Good morning Bret and Art and Bob.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  10. #24203
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    Been doing annual checkups on an annual basis since I was born, but then again, I've only lived in countries with healthcare funded by our tax dollars. Still, annual checkups are reasonably cheap and they can avert a bigger expenditure, so I don't see them as a waste - it's a good investment and something to consider in countries where your healthcare goes directly out of your pocket.

    I remember what it was like when fewer folks had health insurance: it cost less.

    Yes, it is the fact that an insurance company (or a government) can afford to pay more for a visit, procedure, or operation that is the reason that it costs so much now. The cost rises to meet the available payment amount.

    Imagine if there was an insurance company that would pay you 1.5 times what you normally charge for a compressor changeout. That amount would quickly become "what it costs."

    If no one had insurance, or student loans, healthcare and college would both have to come down in cost. If docs had no malpractice insurance,. the lawyers would not be advertising on TV for new clients. Costs would have to come down.

    Something to think about when you see $12.50 for an aspirin in a hospital.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  11. #24204
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It's "The Thing That Wouldn't Die"!
    It developed a limp, but a new low side transducer got it up and running in calibration again.

    It doesn't see daily use anymore, as it is one of 4 working digital sets I have, but it is my go to gauge set for contaminated systems and refrigerant recovery since I don't own any analogue gauges anymore.

    BTW, what ever happened with the Paradigm manifold?
    With the Paradigm, I am still working/doing tests myself as the HF refrigerants wash out the oil so bad, they stick and hang up after you leave the manifold hanging in the van for 4 days or so....
    I am also looking at the substitution of the center shuttle valves for ball valves as they are not quite a subject to the drying of the O-rings.....
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  12. #24205
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,475
    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I remember what it was like when fewer folks had health insurance: it cost less.

    Yes, it is the fact that an insurance company (or a government) can afford to pay more for a visit, procedure, or operation that is the reason that it costs so much now. The cost rises to meet the available payment amount.

    Imagine if there was an insurance company that would pay you 1.5 times what you normally charge for a compressor changeout. That amount would quickly become "what it costs."

    If no one had insurance, or student loans, healthcare and college would both have to come down in cost. If docs had no malpractice insurance,. the lawyers would not be advertising on TV for new clients. Costs would have to come down.

    Something to think about when you see $12.50 for an aspirin in a hospital.
    Two huge things come into play here and they all start with "US"......personal responsibility in our own healthcare....what are we all doing this weekend for our personal healthcare?....Bret was out on a walk yesterday for his.....
    The second is the systemic worldwide and overwhelming greed that we've allowed to run rampant without a moral check to see if we either need or deserve it.....Doctors used to be a very, very noble profession whereby the patient's welfare came first.....not anymore....it's money....and so it goes through the medical profession completely.....drug companies, medical suppliers etc...
    But alas.....nature has a way of leveling the playing field when mankind gets too far off base.......can we all say Greece...?!
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  13. #24206
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    18,790
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    Two huge things come into play here and they all start with "US"......personal responsibility in our own healthcare....what are we all doing this weekend for our personal healthcare?....Bret was out on a walk yesterday for his.....
    The second is the systemic worldwide and overwhelming greed that we've allowed to run rampant without a moral check to see if we either need or deserve it.....Doctors used to be a very, very noble profession whereby the patient's welfare came first.....not anymore....it's money....and so it goes through the medical profession completely.....drug companies, medical suppliers etc...
    But alas.....nature has a way of leveling the playing field when mankind gets too far off base.......can we all say Greece...?!
    The problem is NOT the profit motive. That has been in play for hundreds of years. Docs mus pay exorbitant insurance premiums, supporting half the legal profession because of the mistaken concept that we have an expectation of "perfect" care. We can only expect the same human level of error that we exert in our own lives and professions.

    The problem is that someone else is paying. If that stops, the system once again finds its balance. You cannot make a profit if your product is priced too high for people to purchase, whether it is AC systems or gallbladder operations.
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







Page 1862 of 2284 FirstFirst ... 8621362176218121852185518561857185818591860186118621863186418651866186718681869187219121962 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event