View Poll Results: when will we get to 4,000 posts?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • june 12

    33 24.63%
  • june 20

    31 23.13%
  • july 1

    26 19.40%
  • july 12

    44 32.84%
  1. #21243
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    4,229
    Hello everyone

  2. #21244
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,599
    afternoon all
    If you help others then you are a Success

  3. #21245
    timebuilder's Avatar
    timebuilder is offline AOP Committee/Professional Member*
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    17,814
    Good morning, Bret and everyone!
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  4. #21246
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendo View Post
    At least we don't have pictures of our "Queen Nancy" printed on our money!
    Obviously you're one of the many Muricans who haven't looked at the Cdn bills for a long time......that's understandable...
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  5. #21247
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,458
    First cold/flu in about 7 years that's got me down.....man are the dog's pissed with me......gonna try a quick ride up Cobble Hill later....should be snot trail all the way up....

    How ya doin' Bret.....?
    I'll try and call you later to talk.....Karen keeping you and Andy in line? Or has she given up on you two 'guys'...?

    Neat videos of the jets Fronk.....they've got those in electric now too. The lithium batteries make for a good power to weight ratio. The fastest one I ever had was a similar unit to the video (flying wing) at 210 kmh. Problem is you run out of eyeball so quick you can't really do anything with them but immelmanns so it's boring.
    JP, if you contact the local RC groups, they usually have 'trainer' cords/planes for your Boy Scouts and 'young starters' to help them get a feel for the sport. They are really cheap and easy now compared to 20 years ago when I did it....
    They'd love to show the troop the range of things from building to flying. It's really good for technical and beats the hell our of video games...
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  6. #21248
    jpsmith1cm's Avatar
    jpsmith1cm is offline Global Moderator/AOP Committee
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    First cold/flu in about 7 years that's got me down.....man are the dog's pissed with me......gonna try a quick ride up Cobble Hill later....should be snot trail all the way up....

    How ya doin' Bret.....?
    I'll try and call you later to talk.....Karen keeping you and Andy in line? Or has she given up on you two 'guys'...?

    Neat videos of the jets Fronk.....they've got those in electric now too. The lithium batteries make for a good power to weight ratio. The fastest one I ever had was a similar unit to the video (flying wing) at 210 kmh. Problem is you run out of eyeball so quick you can't really do anything with them but immelmanns so it's boring.
    JP, if you contact the local RC groups, they usually have 'trainer' cords/planes for your Boy Scouts and 'young starters' to help them get a feel for the sport. They are really cheap and easy now compared to 20 years ago when I did it....
    They'd love to show the troop the range of things from building to flying. It's really good for technical and beats the hell our of video games...
    Ya know, Doug, that is a hell of an idea.

    Thank you. There is a local RC plane club. I'll see about getting in touch with them and see if they can do a demo in the spring.

  7. #21249
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    831
    Howdy all. No... I didnt run off with....whatever Frank thought I ran off with this time. Its been too slow here so me and the girlfriend got a minivan and were heading to Toronto in the next week or so to try the HVAC game out there. Not to mention she wants to take audio engineering and the course here costs about $13000 more and considering the guy at the school here said:

    The course costs $4000 more if you take it in the Fall Semester than the Spring Semester BUT I can give you the Spring price if you want to start in the fall, just for you.
    Pretty much everything he said after that was blah blah blah to me at that point because that just doesnt seem right. How can someone who is basically a guidance councilor basically rip the school off? Thanks, but no thanks. Besides the school in Ontario has way equipment and there are way more opportunities for career advancement. For both of us really.

    On the plus side with it being so slow I got to learn some sheet metal at the shop I was at. Learned how to do some fabrication which Im hoping will do me some good while I work on my gas license in my spare time. One thing I did get to enjoy was going back to the job site where I piped my first radiant heaters up and got to feel heat flowing from them. It was just one of those moments where I just had to say:

    ...and damn it feels good to be a gangsta
    But thats really the news here. Hows everyone else doing?
    Get money, get paid.

  8. #21250
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Ya know, Doug, that is a hell of an idea.

    Thank you. There is a local RC plane club. I'll see about getting in touch with them and see if they can do a demo in the spring.
    Careful JP...they are addictive. They also have ARF (almost ready to fly) and RTF (ready to fly) in electric as well as alcohol engines but the electric can be flown in town. When you umbilical cord them with a 'trainer cord' you pull a spring loaded switch on the 'instructor's' transmitter and give over control to the 'trainer' .....if/when they get in death spiral; you release the switch and immediately get the student to take control again so that they keep a continuity of thoughts as to what they've done wrong/need to do. When it's flying towards you the ailerons are backwards (push the stick towards the low wing) as well as rudder....etc.
    The funniest thing I seen was a commercial pilot that came to the field three weeks in a row and stuffed his plane into the ground refusing direction because he was a pilot, then asked for the 'trainer cord' for the Futaba radio on the 4th weekend. Pretty soon you project yourself inside the cockpit and start designing your own planes. I had a forward swept wing plane that was the strangest but most stable thing to fly of all my planes....just guessed at it with weight/balance etc and it was phenomenal....
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  9. #21251
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    Careful JP...they are addictive. They also have ARF (almost ready to fly) and RTF (ready to fly) in electric as well as alcohol engines but the electric can be flown in town. When you umbilical cord them with a 'trainer cord' you pull a spring loaded switch on the 'instructor's' transmitter and give over control to the 'trainer' .....if/when they get in death spiral; you release the switch and immediately get the student to take control again so that they keep a continuity of thoughts as to what they've done wrong/need to do. When it's flying towards you the ailerons are backwards (push the stick towards the low wing) as well as rudder....etc.
    The funniest thing I seen was a commercial pilot that came to the field three weeks in a row and stuffed his plane into the ground refusing direction because he was a pilot, then asked for the 'trainer cord' for the Futaba radio on the 4th weekend. Pretty soon you project yourself inside the cockpit and start designing your own planes. I had a forward swept wing plane that was the strangest but most stable thing to fly of all my planes....just guessed at it with weight/balance etc and it was phenomenal....
    I went to a hobby show as a kid and remember seeing the models by Carl Goldberg. I wanted just a basic Cessna model or the electric glider. But those things cost money...money I didnt, and still dont have lol.

    http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/
    Get money, get paid.

  10. #21252
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    Ray/Sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Glad to have you back!
    I thought you went to Mexico to smuggle drugs or something?
    Same girlfriend?????????????????????????????
    How are the unions doing there??????????
    any chance of getting in an apprenticeship???????????????

    Frank

  11. #21253
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    Ray/Sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Glad to have you back!
    I thought you went to Mexico to smuggle drugs or something?
    Same girlfriend?????????????????????????????
    How are the unions doing there??????????
    any chance of getting in an apprenticeship???????????????

    Frank
    He's on the wrong coast for unions OR and apprenticeship...
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  12. #21254
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,458
    Quote Originally Posted by RayD8630 View Post
    I went to a hobby show as a kid and remember seeing the models by Carl Goldberg. I wanted just a basic Cessna model or the electric glider. But those things cost money...money I didnt, and still dont have lol.

    http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/
    I took about 2 1/2 years to build an Avro Arrow (6' long 5' wingspan) with a Rossi 91 and ducted fan jet. On the third flight I blew out the o-ring from the tuned pipe header and lost about 5000 rpm over the ocean....managed to get the gear down and was off line on the runway on the panic approach with no chance for a go-around so I fed a little right rudder in to crab it across to me and it banked the $%$##ing thing right over so I almost hit myself and my wife.....hit a packet of lumber and totaled it.....it's in a museum now in an airbase in Comox....... http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...222674&theater my old plane is in the top right of the photo....they fixed it up nice.
    The real CF105 is a helluva story......when I finished building it and had it at a charity model air show and old timer was running around asking who the $%^# owned that Arrow....we had a conversation and shut down the air show for 1/2 hour completely mesmerized by this guy who was the lead hand in the engine department.
    In 1959 you could change an engine in 20 minutes; change a weapons pak in 20 minutes or extra fuel (over arctic). We were using P&W J75s and when Jan Zurakowski came in on a Saturday to do a speed run with the J75s, he went down to Buffalo NY, turned it around and firewalled it and hit Mach 2.? and they still did not have the Cdn built Orenda engines in it yet at 3X the thrust!!!!. This guy had to sign the official secrets act on the weekend and re-paint the RL205 as every spec of paint was burnt off of the Titanium skin. It was the fastest plane from design (with no prototype) to finished product. It needed something like 2 clicks up up elevator and it was done....
    Shortly after that flight, the USA(who tracked it on radar) threatened to cancel the autopact, so we cut up every plane, burnt every blueprint and then the engineers when to Vulcan and Lockheed ...... look at the delta wings they built and with Titanium and the SR71 even had the same clamshell cockpit!!!
    The guy told me the titanium band saw blade was something like 1/2 mile long blade as it was basically useless after 3 passes....
    http://members.shaw.ca/b.bogdan/Arrow/avro_arrow.htm
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  13. #21255
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,599
    Quote Originally Posted by RayD8630 View Post
    I went to a hobby show as a kid and remember seeing the models by Carl Goldberg. I wanted just a basic Cessna model or the electric glider. But those things cost money...money I didnt, and still dont have lol.

    http://www.carlgoldbergproducts.com/
    here is what Andy and I 1st got
    http://milo.com/air-hogs-warthog-rc-f14-grey

    then last spring we got this
    http://secure.hobbyzone.com/HBZ4800.html

    crash it a lot fix it with foam glue and clear packing tape. have 2 batteries. and broke the Propeller once ($3.00) it takes a beating.

    it's a lot of fun
    If you help others then you are a Success

Page 1635 of 2268 FirstFirst ... 63511351535158516251628162916301631163216331634163516361637163816391640164116421645168517352135 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event