View Poll Results: when will we get to 4,000 posts?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • june 12

    33 24.63%
  • june 20

    31 23.13%
  • july 1

    26 19.40%
  • july 12

    44 32.84%
  1. #20320
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Location:Raleigh NC
    Posts
    9,486
    Moring all
    If you help others then you are a Success

  2. #20321
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    hello my good metrosexual limp wristed canuck friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    Do you think most guys do side jobs?
    do you think they do a few a year?
    do you think when they do, they use your truck, gas and or some of your material?
    I think that a lot of guys do side work!
    I have been doing this for 26 years, I have done two side jobs, both I did for good friends and both I traded labor for, no profit!
    I did use the company truck both times and told the boss both times!
    He said to put 20 bucks in the tank!

    What this guy did was dishonest and he really took advantage of a pretty decent guy!

    As a business owner, how do you feel about the side work?
    would it be okay if the guy approached you with it first?

    just curious?







    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    About 6X a year in my experience as a business owner....
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  3. #20322
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    he did kill the goose and for others also!







    Quote Originally Posted by knave View Post
    how many ppl do that and get by with it??? He killed the goose that layed the golden one!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  4. #20323
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    Julie,
    Helen says hello and happy new year!
    I think about you all the time and hope you have a happy 2011!
    I told Art that I could have got him on at work but did not want to leave you alone in chocolate town!
    He said you would come out to Kansas with him!
    I am assuming you have NEVER been here!


    frank





    Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes020 View Post
    Hi Frank....Hi Helen....

    Wishing you both much happiness, joy and good health in this new year. Amen.

    Julie
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  5. #20324
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,940
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    hello my good metrosexual limp wristed canuck friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

    Do you think most guys do side jobs?
    do you think they do a few a year?
    do you think when they do, they use your truck, gas and or some of your material?
    I think that a lot of guys do side work!
    I have been doing this for 26 years, I have done two side jobs, both I did for good friends and both I traded labor for, no profit!
    I did use the company truck both times and told the boss both times!
    He said to put 20 bucks in the tank!

    What this guy did was dishonest and he really took advantage of a pretty decent guy!

    As a business owner, how do you feel about the side work?
    would it be okay if the guy approached you with it first?

    just curious?
    I won't do a lot of side work.

    First off, I'm not good enough with sheetmetal to make a job look even half professional.

    Second off, I'm the kind of guy that wants to take ownership of sa job that I do. If it breaks, I'd need to be there to make the repairs. Hard to do that when you're running service the way I do.

    It is a lot easier to explain these things to people who look for me to do side work, refer them to a good friend that is in business and move on.

  6. #20325
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    windy city
    Posts
    4,398
    I don't do side work.
    The way stuff is made nowadays, you'll go broke defending yourself, even if you're innocent.
    Plus, I don't have the time to do siders. I'll just do more O/T
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

  7. #20326
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    windy city
    Posts
    4,398
    and as JP stated, I'll refer the interested party to someone that can handle it properly.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

  8. #20327
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    is that what your wife tells you when you want some- chika bow chika bow woww!

    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetaldad View Post
    and as JP stated, I'll refer the interested party to someone that can handle it properly.
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  9. #20328
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    with out putting a lot of thought into this!
    and forgetting that i am a union worker and side job would be against the rules and quote "RAT"! not my opinion just quoting!
    I would think if I was the boss and a guy wanted to do some side work?
    I would most likely tell him to slip me a c note and fill up the tank?
    but I am not an owner so that may seem wrong to a business man?
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  10. #20329
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    with out putting a lot of thought into this!
    and forgetting that i am a union worker and side job would be against the rules and quote "RAT"! not my opinion just quoting!
    I would think if I was the boss and a guy wanted to do some side work?
    I would most likely tell him to slip me a c note and fill up the tank?
    but I am not an owner so that may seem wrong to a business man?
    Just got in from a service call where the union electrician scabbed his Dad's house while he was being paid at the School Board. In the heavily unionized area I'm in.....90+% of the scabbed moonlight jobs are done by 'Mill rats' who get 4 days off in a row and sneak out an hour (or more early) when at work. God help you if an 'outside contractor' without his 90# of paperwork shows up on their site while they are playing hide and go seek with the foreman....

    Don't mind the guys doing side jobs for family and friends but if they use and/or break my stuff they need to pay for what they use....
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  11. #20330
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    yeah, I kind of thought you would be a cool boss!

    I have a good idea that the Canadian pipe trades union UA is funding a lot of our national UA pensions!
    I read that the Calgary training center had over one thousand first year apprentices!
    This year my local had 90 which is the biggest class in decades!
    the last couple classes were 40-60!







    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    Just got in from a service call where the union electrician scabbed his Dad's house while he was being paid at the School Board. In the heavily unionized area I'm in.....90+% of the scabbed moonlight jobs are done by 'Mill rats' who get 4 days off in a row and sneak out an hour (or more early) when at work. God help you if an 'outside contractor' without his 90# of paperwork shows up on their site while they are playing hide and go seek with the foreman....

    Don't mind the guys doing side jobs for family and friends but if they use and/or break my stuff they need to pay for what they use....
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

  12. #20331
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Island, B.C.
    Posts
    2,438
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    yeah, I kind of thought you would be a cool boss!

    I have a good idea that the Canadian pipe trades union UA is funding a lot of our national UA pensions!
    I read that the Calgary training center had over one thousand first year apprentices!
    This year my local had 90 which is the biggest class in decades!
    the last couple classes were 40-60!
    I've got a buddy of mine that worked his apprenticeship in the dockyards in Halifax so he's TQ'd Pipefitter, TQ'd Plumber, 4th class stationary Steam and Marine steam... He worked for me before he went to Fort McMoney.....he is just a hair under $300,000.00 income this year and we're at par now with your money so thems is real dollars....
    Not bad for a 50 year old tradesman packing around nothing heavier than a clipboard.

    Those F(*&^ing Oil Sands are sucking up EVERY tradesman in Canada. They have 2 charter flights a week right into Fort McMurray from Newfoundland...!!

    A typical tradesman with over 5 years after his TQ is about $150-200,000/yr plus/plus/plus....but the weather last week was -48 degC !!!
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

  13. #20332
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    WOW!
    that is totally awesome!

    I could go up there for one year and pay my house off!




    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Lockhart View Post
    I've got a buddy of mine that worked his apprenticeship in the dockyards in Halifax so he's TQ'd Pipefitter, TQ'd Plumber, 4th class stationary Steam and Marine steam... He worked for me before he went to Fort McMoney.....he is just a hair under $300,000.00 income this year and we're at par now with your money so thems is real dollars....
    Not bad for a 50 year old tradesman packing around nothing heavier than a clipboard.

    Those F(*&^ing Oil Sands are sucking up EVERY tradesman in Canada. They have 2 charter flights a week right into Fort McMurray from Newfoundland...!!

    A typical tradesman with over 5 years after his TQ is about $150-200,000/yr plus/plus/plus....but the weather last week was -48 degC !!!
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Page 1564 of 2235 FirstFirst ... 56410641464151415541557155815591560156115621563156415651566156715681569157015711574161416642064 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event