View Poll Results: when will we get to 4,000 posts?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll
  • june 12

38 25.00%
  • june 20

33 21.71%
  • july 1

30 19.74%
  • july 12

51 33.55%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OUR DEAR FRIEND HAS CANCER FCS

Post Likes
    morning all
    If you help others then you are a Success

Post Likes
    afternoon bret

Post Likes
    Afternoon all.

Post Likes
    Afternoon all

Get this Yes School is canceled Yet again Tue. 2 1/2 inch of snow From Friday nite to Saturday night and yes Monday and Tuesday the school are Closed. What a Joke.

Sorry I has Born and Raised in the North. only live here for 11 years and I still have to laugh at the south and fear of snow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    Afternoon all

Get this Yes School is canceled Yet again Tue. 2 1/2 inch of snow From Friday nite to Saturday night and yes Monday and Tuesday the school are Closed. What a Joke.

Sorry I has Born and Raised in the North. only live here for 11 years and I still have to laugh at the south and fear of snow.
    Im sure Andy isnt to upset

Post Likes
    Brett, Gruppys.

I've had an interesting day. See today at school we had a "Career Connection" fair where different companies came in to recruit. Well when I heard Trane was sending a rep down to do a presentation while there were classes but students were being excused to attend I thought to myself:

I have a student loan that needs repayment. I should go see this representative since he does hiring for this area of Canada. This might be a foot in the door.
    So on smoke break I went to the computer lab and found a resume template with an orange border and an orange circle on the bottom. Looked Trane-ish to me so I did it up. Went to the presentation where this Representative talked about what Trane does, where they stand in the global market, and who they hire. We then had the chance to sign up for individual appointments. I finally got mine.

I started to talk to the Representative. He asked me what I did after high school for work (since this was a very basic resume I didn't have time to add all my jobs since graduation). About 5 minutes in he cuts me off and says "Look I'll be honest you don't sound like a mechanic. You sound like an engineer. Have you ever thought of design or controls?"

At this point I don't know what to think. Am I being told I'm chasing something that I can't reach? Well I figure this guy does handle HR. You need to get paid eventually. Play up on your computer experiences. So I told him how I did look into controls and how I used to fix and work on computers. I took computer programming in high school but most times I used to write e-mails to the girlfriend (I omitted the last part). The first time I tried to go to college I was able to take en elective from the Electronics Engineering program and I actually did better than some students who had been there for three years. I talked about how I did some scripting and helped design some web pages for some friends.

At this point he writes right on this resume of mine *controls*. We talk some about equipment and about computers and controls. We then talk some about building automation. Finally he tells me to call him in June. He has a need for control's guys and has some of the best controls guys out there and thinks if I came to him he would pair me up with one.

Case and point I didn't know how to take it. I've heard that controls pay great and that since I would at that point have a refrigeration technician program under me and that combined with a strong technology based background would make a decent control's man. This is definitely not what I was expecting.

...Thoughts? Anyone?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RayD8630 View Post
    Brett, Gruppys.

I've had an interesting day. See today at school we had a "Career Connection" fair where different companies came in to recruit. Well when I heard Trane was sending a rep down to do a presentation while there were classes but students were being excused to attend I thought to myself:

So on smoke break I went to the computer lab and found a resume template with an orange border and an orange circle on the bottom. Looked Trane-ish to me so I did it up. Went to the presentation where this Representative talked about what Trane does, where they stand in the global market, and who they hire. We then had the chance to sign up for individual appointments. I finally got mine.

I started to talk to the Representative. He asked me what I did after high school for work (since this was a very basic resume I didn't have time to add all my jobs since graduation). About 5 minutes in he cuts me off and says "Look I'll be honest you don't sound like a mechanic. You sound like an engineer. Have you ever thought of design or controls?"

At this point I don't know what to think. Am I being told I'm chasing something that I can't reach? Well I figure this guy does handle HR. You need to get paid eventually. Play up on your computer experiences. So I told him how I did look into controls and how I used to fix and work on computers. I took computer programming in high school but most times I used to write e-mails to the girlfriend (I omitted the last part). The first time I tried to go to college I was able to take en elective from the Electronics Engineering program and I actually did better than some students who had been there for three years. I talked about how I did some scripting and helped design some web pages for some friends.

At this point he writes right on this resume of mine *controls*. We talk some about equipment and about computers and controls. We then talk some about building automation. Finally he tells me to call him in June. He has a need for control's guys and has some of the best controls guys out there and thinks if I came to him he would pair me up with one.

Case and point I didn't know how to take it. I've heard that controls pay great and that since I would at that point have a refrigeration technician program under me and that combined with a strong technology based background would make a decent control's man. This is definitely not what I was expecting.

...Thoughts? Anyone?
    Go for it Ray. Controls can be very lucrative, sometimes even being able to do repairs from home. I am not and never have been a controls guy, but since I am getting toward the end of my career, controls could be something that is less physically demanding. Sounds as if controls may be your thing.

Post Likes
    Brett, Gruppys.

...Thoughts? Anyone?
    I don't want to pi$$ in your Cheerios, but rookies probably don't and won't make good control guys.

You need to have a sound background in the system fundamentals. How things work and why they work before you can really set up a control system properly. Otherwise, you are a programmer and little more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I don't want to pi$$ in your Cheerios, but rookies probably don't and won't make good control guys.

You need to have a sound background in the system fundamentals. How things work and why they work before you can really set up a control system properly. Otherwise, you are a programmer and little more.
    Ditto...... get some dirt under your nails first.....
    If this were Canada, I'll tell you to get your Red Seal Refrigeration Mechanic TQ FIRST THEN go into controls....besides fitters are whimps (from a bitter reefer mechanic that worked at HW with the 'chosen ones')
    "The quality you deserve is not expensive---it's priceless"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman#1 View Post
    Im sure Andy isnt to upset
    got that right

Post Likes
    Brett, Gruppys.

...Thoughts? Anyone?

Its a great complement But I agree with Doug and JB your getting ahead of yourself and that can hurt you in the long run.

All in good time a good sound understanding and experience will teach you a lot about being a top notch controls guy.

Also I have some concern this guys (who sound to be from HR) has a good understand of what it takes to be a good Tech or in controls guy.

Hang in there you do fine.

Post Likes
    night guys

Post Likes
    Its a great complement But I agree with Doug and JB your getting ahead of yourself and that can hurt you in the long run.

All in good time a good sound understanding and experience will teach you a lot about being a top notch controls guy.

Also I have some concern this guys (who sound to be from HR) has a good understand of what it takes to be a good Tech or in controls guy.

Looky how Bret is all nice about it and I go and pee in the kid's punch.

Sorry, I'm not exactly the best people person sometimes, but that is what I was trying to say.

Post Likes
    Ray,

sounds great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    anybody could do controls. even my 19 year old daughter!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    that being said.
    You have to know what you are controlling. The top controls guys have a great understanding of low ambient controls, refrigeration fundamentals, building pressurization, economizer operation, stairwell pressurization, properties of air, air quality, pumps, chiller operation,boiler operation,outdoor reset ratios, vfd's,pneumatic controls, duct work design, the list is too long to go on...

you have to be a good hvac mechanic to be a good controls guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck I wish you the best!!

GRUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------
    Brett, Gruppys.

...Thoughts? Anyone?
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    where is JP at??

Post Likes
    hey Bretttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    My computer must be messed up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    never could load the pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

how u doin????

Post Likes
    hi
    bretttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
    doug
    monkey
    jason
    warren
    JIMMMMMMMMMY
    BOB
    bob
    goooosie
    RayRAy
    CCI

Post Likes

Great wisdom from a guy with a avitar that look like Shrek. Controls are a hoot but you HAVE TO Know the mechanical/systems side of it or some engineer wil Bury you someday over a really simple thing, I know, I've had it happen (just not recently).

Get that all important "Practical Knowledge" then think about controls.

"Yep, controls are so easy even girls can do it (sarchasim) !" JK !
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    sorry CC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here are 4 of my 5 daughters, i also have---
    13 neices
    1 grand daughter
    5 sisters

only my 19 year old is a little lazy and has not had a job yett!!

Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    Great wisdom from a guy with a avitar that look like Shrek. Controls are a hoot but you HAVE TO Know the mechanical/systems side of it or some engineer wil Bury you someday over a really simple thing, I know, I've had it happen (just not recently).

Get that all important "Practical Knowledge" then think about controls.

"Yep, controls are so easy even girls can do it (sarchasim) !" JK !

Post Likes
    oops

+ Reply to Thread
Page 731 of 1687 FirstFirst ... 2316316817217247257267277287297307317327337347357367377387417818311231 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in