Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

What POWER tools are needed on the job?

I'm going to be going to school here in a few months (on a waiting list) and I was just wondering what power tools are needed in the day to day life of a hvac tech? I already have a cordless 18v drill/impact driver set as well as a cordless sawzall (Makita on both). What else would I possibly need?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I prefer 12v Milwaukee stuff. Impact, Drill, Hackzall has been all I've ever needed. If you do some installation, a spiral duct cutter, hammer drill, electric sheet metal shears, grinders, circular saws, and all kinds of stuff becomes necessary.

3. Likes HellGato, ed_quintero liked this post
    Post Likes
    With what you said you already have I'd invest in hand tools now. Only so much you can do with an impact and a sawzall

Believe nothing you hear, and only half of what you see! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Likes ed_quintero liked this post
    Post Likes
    The 12v Milwaukee is awesome in my opinion as well! We'll see about installing some duct work in Coral Springs soon!

7. Likes ed_quintero liked this post
    Post Likes
    I wouldn't invest a ton into tools right now, as there are several things to consider-
    -Some companies (many are Union affiliated) will provide you with tools.
    -Not all guys need the same tools. A residential installer, a industrial service tech, and commercial maintenance guy will need very different tools. Why buy stuff you don't need. Wait and see what you end up doing.
    -New guys tend to break a lot of stuff when they are really green. Wait to learn the proper use of tools.
    -Once you get in the field you'll see a lot of different guys setups as far as tools and equipment. It'll give you ideas on what you want and need.
    I havent failed. Ive just found 10,000 ways that wont work. - Thomas Edison

Its not whether you get knocked down, its whether you get up. - Vince Lombardi

9. Likes ed_quintero, lions_lair liked this post
    Post Likes
    All of them

On a serious note: It really depends what aspect of the HVAC world you choose to follow, as it has already been said, commercial vs industrial vs residential vs refrigeration vs installation vs repair all require different tools. But there are simple hand tools that are common to all. It also depends on who you go to work for. Many employers have the larger tools you need, some even supply your hand tools

Yes most everyone needs a good drilll driver, but it is mostly used for removing screws or putting screws in panels. So a big heavy, high power, multi-speed, hammer drill is not needed every day. So size accordingly

As for me I have tool pouch that I feel lost if I don't have "My Tools" with me such as: Klein 11 in 1 screwdriver/nut driver, Vaco wire stripping and crimping pliers, Channel Lock wire cutters, Channel Lock channel locks, Fluke VOM/clamp on Amp meter, Cresent 6" and 10" cresent wrench, Stanley 6" pry bar, etc.. Certain brands just fit more comfortable in my hand. I would suggest you get the simple hand tools you like and wait for the rest. When you do buy, I have always paid extra for hard shell cases for my drills, sawsall, circle saw etc... Riding around in truck is hard on them and they need protection. Hard cases offer some protection when you get caught in the rain. The soft side bags aren't worth much for protection from bouncing down the road or rain.

Good luck Hope the trade work out for you

11. Likes ed_quintero liked this post
    Post Likes
    M12 fuel 1/2" hammer drill and impact combo.

M12 fuel hackzall

Milwaukee Corded Hammerdrill

Corded 12 or 15 amp Milwaukee sawzall.

If you want you could add a 1/2" M18 fuel Hammerdrill then you'll have the versatility of all the m18 and m12 tools for the future.

Post Likes
    I love the makita stuff. Basics everyone needs is a drill/driver. 1/4,5/16,3/8 bits. Meter(fluke 324 is my go to). Left and right snips(even techs gotta cut metal). Basic socket and ratchet set. Screwdriver set. Allen wrenches.

All of these are also great to have around the house so will never be wasted no matter what direction you go.

Notice no one said gauges or other specialty tools? Just starting out you just don't need all that extra stuff. The only place i wouldn't skimp on right now is the meter. And with how long they last a good one is worth it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

14. Likes ed_quintero liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cimerian View Post
    I love the makita stuff. Basics everyone needs is a drill/driver. 1/4,5/16,3/8 bits. Meter(fluke 324 is my go to). Left and right snips(even techs gotta cut metal). Basic socket and ratchet set. Screwdriver set. Allen wrenches.

All of these are also great to have around the house so will never be wasted no matter what direction you go.

Notice no one said gauges or other specialty tools? Just starting out you just don't need all that extra stuff. The only place i wouldn't skimp on right now is the meter. And with how long they last a good one is worth it.

It said power tools, I take that as drills, saws etc not hvac tools per say.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    It said power tools, I take that as drills, saws etc not hvac tools per say.
    I kind of read between the lines as to what tools a new guy needs. That's why I tailored it to the basics that everyone needs.

Post Likes
    Name:  m12shears.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  10.4 KB

M12 shears are a lifesaver for cutting venting. Not sure they are needed but I'd consider them a bargain at twice the price. The basics for power tools are really just a drill and impact you will go bankrupt trying to cover everything just pick away at your list as you need it and as long as you aren't a total and complete mooch the guys you work with will usually let you borrow what you need just don't assume their toolbox is your toolbox and make an effort to buy your own stuff as you can. One non-power tool I find comes in really handy for me are a good set of quality precision screwdrivers. I have a nice set by Wiha they are a bit pricey but are a lifesaver working on controls and even just that basic job of wiring thermostats. Cheap precision screwdrivers will round out and strip screws like its their job and the frustration isn't worth it.

Post Likes
    I am a residential install guy so I have 18V Milwaukee stuff. 1/2" hammer drill, sawz all, hackzall, circular saw, LED lantern, Multi-tool, right angle drill, and a dewalt 12v impact. And an 18v impact, but it is too big and heavy to use daily. And a large pile of batteries and 3 chargers.

Post Likes
    I had to leave a job and go get an angle 4" grinder the other day cause I stripped out the1/4" screws on a cond fan motor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast