Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

New Member need some advise on forced air systems.

Hello to everyone, I just purchased a home and for the last two weeks Ive been shopping around for a Gas water boiler and baseboard on a 1250Sqft home thats built in early 1900. Today after visiting a friends home and seeing his central air system, I have decided to eliminate the idea of running pex/baseboards and the gas boiler and going with forced air or central air, not sure if theres a difference.

For one, the house isnt properly insulated as of yet and just decided that baseboards and water is not in my best interest for this home.

I also would have had to line the chimney and I believe but not sure I do not have to do so with an Air furnace thats 95% efficient.

so I come to you, can these air furnaces be direct vented without the need for a Chimney or liner?

After researching a bit, it seems the motors can be very expensive to run using the wrong circuit or maybe even actual motor.

Its a small home and I plan on calling a contractor soon, but would appreciate any advice on a recommended model that is highly efficient, reliable and direct vented. I was going with a 77k BTU water boiler.

Finally I only wanted heat not AC, Can one install just heat and is this a common practice or not recommended?

I had plans on installing two AC units on each floor and eliminate possible future maintenance and break downs, again due to the small size of the house. I could be going about this wrong though and asking for your advice.

Many thanks in advance and if someone that's fairly priced and is in North Jersey and up for this job, please pm.

Cheers.

Post Likes
    96% Furnace can be installed.. W/out Air conditioning.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Post Likes
    Thank you for this info, briefly looking online, it seems all 96% are a $1000 more then the 95.5%, the most expensive half of a percent I come across, is there a reason for this?

Also noticing all the 96% are higher BTU and might be more then I need, installing one would defeat any savings, are there lower BTU with 96% efficiency? Or I will only see this 96% with the higher BTU models. Thanks again

Post Likes
    First, you'll need to do a proper load calculation and see what size furnace you need.
    1200 sq ft is doable with a multi head mini split heat pump, plus you'd have air conditioning and no ductwork to worry about.

5. Likes R410tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thank you for the replies guys, I understand it may differ but using the 77k BTU that was recommended to me, can you recommend some furnace options that I can route outside a window and not use the chimney. I cant seem to find anything that is low BTU and has 96% efficiency. Maybe a 120k BTU air is the equivalence to a 77k BTU water and with a 120 there are plenty of 96%. My buddy got a Ruud, is this a descent brand or do you recommend something else.

For sure someone is coming out but its so great to have a heads-up, many thanks once again.

Post Likes

Exclamation

With 1200 sq.ft home you do not need large furnace/ can be 96% 0r 95%.. Get some bids ; as they are free.
    As for brands/Carrier/Trane/Rheem furnaces are all good.
    No you can't vent out window, if in attic can draw inside air/ vent through side discharge on outside wall.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Post Likes
    What you should be doing right now is investigating contractors. You see, equipment brand only influences about 25% of the outcome. The other 75% is the quality of the install.
    Make sure your contractor does a load calc.
    He should be up on local code and advise you on the best placement of the new equipment.
    He should go over any existing ducting and calculate if it sized correctly.
    Get at least 3 quotes from the highest rated contractors in the area.

Post Likes
    Right on, HVAC company coming out Tuesday.

looking at these furnaces there is a $1000 difference between a 95.5% and 96% efficiency, for one its hard for me to believe they can differentiate between such small amounts and if they do have such sensitive technology, why the vast price difference over a .5%.

Post Likes
    Had a guy off of CL come out today, arrived eyes red and late and gave an estimate. If someone from this board is near Northern NJ and would like to look at this job, please feel free to PM.

Post Likes
    As already stated, get a load estimate done. 1200 sq.ft. might be 36k btu or LESS w/good windows,insulation.And I would be surprised if you need 77k on the heat side.

Post Likes
    Why even bother trying to hire a CL advertised company. Might as well try and install the equipment yourself.
    Hire a quality contractor with your best interests in mind or else you'll pay the price during the lifespan of the equipment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bass530 View Post
    Had a guy off of CL come out today, arrived eyes red and late and gave an estimate. If someone from this board is near Northern NJ and would like to look at this job, please feel free to PM.
    There are several members in your area

http://hvac-talk.com/aop

Post Likes
    Right on Guys, Home Depot is coming out tomorrow just to hear what they have to say.

Terry, you are dead on, that was the exact BTU given when I was going baseboard, but they still were going with a 77k BTU, but on paper by a formula it was near your numbers. So Curious what Home Depot says.

Will search the forum for installers now, I would honestly prefer to go with one of the installers from here. Which probably will be the outcome.

Cheers and thank you for these tips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast