Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Issue with furnace

Hello I have an old trailer house furnace in my garage that's acting up. Everything has been working perfect till the other day I came home to find the house and garage a bit cold. I could hear the furnace fan running on the house furnace so I went to the garage and that fan was running also but no heat. I figured I was out of propane and sure enough that was the case. I call to have it filled and they came out and filled it. I lit the pilot lite and it took right off. GREAT heated garage again. I came home later and went to the garage and it was ice cold. I checked the pilot light and that was working. I closed the door to the furnace and shut the digital thermostat off and turned it back on and the furnace fired up. It keeps doing this and the only way to get it to start is if I open the door on the furnace and shut it. Is the safety switch on the door bad or what do you think? It says
    Lear Siegler inc. on the id tag
    model mgc-80

Sounds like your furnace could be locking out because a safety switch is tripping. Every time you reset power to the furnace (open/close the door), you reset the board and the furnace will start up again until that safety switch trips again.

You obviously have a problem. When it locks out again, leave the furnace alone and go ahead and get a tech to look it over.

There isn't much to this furnace. I am very mechanically inclined but I just wanted to see if there was one thing in particular I should test. I don't know why it would of worked perfectly fine before I ran out of propane that doesn't make any since.

You're right, there isn't too much to this furnace because it's very old, and that's why you want a professional.

You say the blower is running, but the furnace is off. This is indicative of an overheating furnace and that could mean the heat exchanger is cracked among other less serious problems, which is ever more a reason to have a technician inspect it.

No when I ran out of propane the blower was running. Now everything will work fine and then when I go to the garage the furnace might be shut off and the garage cold but when I open the door and close it it will work fine again till the next time it shuts off

Save the trouble and turn the stat off then back on. That resets it as well.
    Now make a call for service before you do more damage

Well i think I found the problem I need a new sequencer. Where can I order the correct one for the antique furnace?
    Line1. 60000a0-4
    Line 2. H-25. C-50

i thought this was propane?

It is

i don't think that is a sequencer, usually they are for strip heaters. if the fan continues to run without burner operation it is likely cooling down from tripping high limit. it may reset when the power gets shut off and turned back on. before you dump money and time into this thing i would be 100% sure the heat exchanger isn't cracked, it can cause all sorts of problems and is unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by R&J Whitetails View Post
    Well i think I found the problem I need a new sequencer. Where can I order the correct one for the antique furnace?
    Line1. 60000a0-4
    Line 2. H-25. C-50
    How did you arrive at that conclusion??

When I tap on it or wiggle the wire on the one side it started up

Sorry, this site does not allow DIY advice or instruction. It was in the rules you agreed to when you signed up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast