Post Likes

R-22 Alternatives

Has anyone had any luck with the new drop in R-22 alternatives? Being in the business for over 30 years its hard for me to accept a replacement gas that doesn't require an oil flush (multiple flushes) and replacement. Some of the junior techs swear to me that they use them and have luck, I find it hard to believe but then again I sometimes live in the past (old school).

Post Likes
    I've used R421a and R407c with good results. ive seen MO99 (r438a) and NU22 (R422b) in service working well. You have to remove the R22 but you don't have to remove the oil. With some like R407c you're supposed to change the oil but I have done it without changing the oil and just adding a few oz of POE and a few oz of supco88.

Post Likes
    A-LOT of alternatives - seems like new one coming out every 6-8 weeks. I think it's like what is better FORD - Chevy - Toyota?? Matter of opinion mixed answers. Do some research on refrigerant oils - PVE oil - supco 88 - magic oils & oil additive's - Most of the alternatives cost less.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by doug1111 View Post
    A-LOT of alternatives - seems like new one coming out every 6-8 weeks. I think it's like what is better FORD - Chevy - Toyota?? Matter of opinion mixed answers. Do some research on refrigerant oils - PVE oil - supco 88 - magic oils & oil additive's - Most of the alternatives cost less.
    Some cost 1/3 of R-22 like for example R-407C.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mofotech View Post
    Some cost 1/3 of R-22 like for example R-407C.
    Yes and 407 C cost less than the HC refrigerants

Post Likes
    Well I haven't converted anything YET. I remember going from R12 to what ever. I am staying with r22 for as long as I can, then going to replace the systems to use 410 if I can. Pulled R507A out of a freezer last week and replaced with 404. Probably was a 502 system once upon a time.

Post Likes
    Just went through this 2 weeks ago.
    I have resisted the drop-in's hoping one would come to the top as a favorite.
    I had a system that was flat and have not really ran much for 5 years, good candidate.
    Called 4 supply houses to find out which one everyone was using...
    Got 4 different answers.
    Went back with R-22 (not a real big price difference) because it would be a dis-service to the HO.(the next guy may not have the right "blend" in his truck).

Now that being said, with the next JUMP in 22 prices, 421a is looking better.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Yea but then he might not have R22 either. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. (does this mean it should goon the demon thread?) Heck there still are too many R12 replacements out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    Just went through this 2 weeks ago.
    I have resisted the drop-in's hoping one would come to the top as a favorite.
    I had a system that was flat and have not really ran much for 5 years, good candidate.
    Called 4 supply houses to find out which one everyone was using...
    Got 4 different answers.
    Went back with R-22 (not a real big price difference) because it would be a dis-service to the HO.(the next guy may not have the right "blend" in his truck).

Now that being said, with the next JUMP in 22 prices, 421a is looking better.