Post Likes

Commercial hvac or refrigeration.

Which career choice seems to be the better of the two. I keep hearing that commercial refrigeration is really good. Any good suggestions on which route has a better outlook, I'm trying to decide what program to go into at school.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Usually refrigeration makes more money with the OT but normally HVAC guys get more home time.

Post Likes
    if you liked sleeping at night i'd suggest Commercial HVAC. Refrigeration techs work all hours of the night when stuff goes down. don't think i've ever had to replace a compressor in the middle of the night as an HVAC tech but I sure have done a few as a refrigeration tech
    you will attract more flies with honey than with vinegar, but you can attract the most with a dead cat

Post Likes
    I B E W

Post Likes
    I've done both.
    If I may, I'll share a short story.
    Few years ago I was on call at a commercial/industrial hvac/r company. Middle of the night the phone rings with a garbled message. Got the location identified as a local hospital. So I listen to it over and over on speaker trying to get the full message in my half asleep state. After 4 or 5 playbacks my wife shot up and yelled "you woke me up, they're saying the morgue is down you deaf idiot". So off I went into the night to fix the morgue refrigeration system. Funny thing was the security guard let me into the morgue department, which was in a very dark and dank basement area in the bowls of the building, then bolted. Left me alone with the........contents.
    It was an easy fix. Little R12 K-body with a leaky valve plate gasket.
    On the flip side, I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours on frigid rooftops so cold my tools were freezing to the roof deck, trying to fix packaged units. And many weekends away from home fixing department store and process cooling systems.
    I honestly kinda liked the challenge of doing both. Kept things interesting and kept you on your toes.
    It did kinda suck carrying around so much refrigerant though. R22, R404A, R410A, R134A, R414B, R408A.......the list goes on.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Post Likes
    If you are young and single refrigeration.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk