Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 25
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes

    I Could Use Some Help

    My name is Jordan. New to this forum, and I'm currently enrolled in an HVACR program. A one year course to be exact. I'm currently doing an assignment for my Forced Air class, that is acting as my lab test. I have until this coming Monday to complete it, and I need, in detail, the principal operation of an oil fired furnace. Normally I wouldn't bother people with this kind of request, but the internet is a total wash, and I live out in the sticks. I really don't have a lot of access to public libraries, and my tech school's library isn't the foremost authority on the subject. I found one book in the library that has been a help, but it's threadbare on a lot of crucial details. For reference, this is what I have so far:

    1.) Form the living area thermostat, a 24-volt alternating current is sent from the white heat call wire, and to the Oil Burner Motor, and Ignition Transformer.

    2.) From the call for heat, the Ignition Transformer sends 10000 volts the Bus Bars (Another term for Ignition Wires) to the Electrodes, establishing an active high voltage spark at the Electrode Tips. These are positioned above, and slightly in front of the Nozzle.

    3.) The motor starts, and the fan forces air through the Scroll into the Blast Tube, and out the end of the Burner into the Combustion Chamber.

    4.) As the motor runs, it turns the Fuel Pump, which sends 100 PSI fuel oil through the copper tubing into the Drawer Assembly, and then through the Nozzle.

    5.) As tiny droplets of atomized oil leave the Nozzle, they are surrounded by air coming out of the Blast Tube. This is where the mixing of air and oil take place.

    6.) The air-oil mixture passes by the 10000-volt spark, which is hot enough to ignite it, and create a flame.

    7.) Once the flame is established, it is no longer necessary to keep the ignition system operating. In many systems the ignition shuts off, however; there are some systems where the ignition stays on through the whole cycle. In fact, the number is equal to, or possibly more than the systems where the ignition simply cuts out.

    8.) When the call for heat is satisfied, the power to the burner shuts off, and the furnace ends its sequence. Patiently waiting for the next call for heat, in order to start the process all over again.


    This is nowhere near enough, and this is what I got from the book. I also need to go into detail on Air within the sequence. I.E. The Blower, tube, diffuser, ect. As well as go into detail on the combustion process, as a part 2 to this assignment. I do have a big packet on the combustion process, but I always accept knowledge from those who know more than I do.

    Any help will be appreciated, and I thank you fine people for your assistance. Hopefully come April I will be certified, and join the ranks of your amazing trade. ^^

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Billington Heights, NY
    Posts
    12,934
    Post Likes
    the principle operation of an oil furnace is to heat cooler air to hotter air

    what you listed is your part 2
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"

    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

    Jtrammel - "I’m going to sell hvac systems derp derp derp"
    BBeerme - "every time he opens his mouth, he reminds me of a cow without the fart bag."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    4,013
    Post Likes
    2) providing all the limit/safety controls are not tripped the heat cycle starts.

    FYI: Many Residential oil furnaces have a prepurge before ignition starts.

    Fuel pressures are set upwards of 150 PSI

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Oh. Well let me try to clear up the confusion.

    This is what my assignment is:

    Create a diagram of the principle of operation of an oil fired furnace. Include as many details that you can incorporate. You will be graded on the following

    -Thorough diagram of the operating principles of an oil burning furnace. (He wants the Sequence of Operations)
    -Detail. (Excruciating detail. As if you had to explain this to someone who's never seen, or knows thing one about an oil furnace)
    -Neatens. (Speaks for itself)
    -New information that may not have been covered in class. (In other words. I have to try and stump my Forced Air Instructor, and come up with something he's never heard of.)

    Your "Group" (I'm working solo, because I was the odd man out) will be required to provide additional detailed descriptions of specific components, as directed by your instructor. (So the air thing I was talking about. Anything on the furnace that has to deal with air. That's my portion.)

    Create a second diagram of the combustion process! The same rules apply as the first diagram.

    That's my assignment.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,198
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Man 1990 View Post
    8.) When the call for heat is satisfied, the power to the burner shuts off, and the furnace ends its sequence. Patiently waiting for the next call for heat, in order to start the process all over again.
    Well, not too patiently. When it doesn't work, the customer will impatiently press the red reset button until the heat exchanger is flooded with oil.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  6. Likes 2sac liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    5,938
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Man 1990 View Post

    -Neatens. (Speaks for itself)
    Or not
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  8. Likes HVAC_Marc, CircusEnvy, BBeerme liked this post
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Fair enough. XD

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    I shouldn't say I won't run into this problem, because my grandparents on my dad's side owned an oil burner. So I probably will run into this sometime in the future. XD

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    4,198
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Man 1990 View Post
    Create a diagram of the principle of operation of an oil fired furnace. Include as many details that you can incorporate. You will be graded on the following

    -Thorough diagram of the operating principles of an oil burning furnace. (He wants the Sequence of Operations)
    -Detail. (Excruciating detail. As if you had to explain this to someone who's never seen, or knows thing one about an oil furnace)
    -Neatens. (Speaks for itself)
    -New information that may not have been covered in class. (In other words. I have to try and stump my Forced Air Instructor, and come up with something he's never heard of.)

    Your "Group" (I'm working solo, because I was the odd man out) will be required to provide additional detailed descriptions of specific components, as directed by your instructor. (So the air thing I was talking about. Anything on the furnace that has to deal with air. That's my portion.)

    Create a second diagram of the combustion process! The same rules apply as the first diagram.

    That's my assignment.
    Read through this. Installation manuals have all the information you need to know. Get used to reading them because you'll need to do it when you get in the field.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thank you. I really appreciate the help. ^^

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    32
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Man 1990 View Post
    Thank you. I really appreciate the help. ^^
    When you get to the end, make sure you put a clause in there to always consult the installation and operation guides from the manufacturer. Perform safety checks to ensure the unit is operating within the manufacturers specifications. Ensure maintenance is done in accordance with the manufacturers literature


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SW FL
    Posts
    8,464
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Man 1990 View Post

    This is what my assignment is:

    Create a diagram of the principle of operation of an oil fired furnace. Include as many details that you can incorporate.
    You will be graded on the following

    -Thorough diagram of the operating principles of an oil burning furnace. (He wants the Sequence of Operations)
    -Detail.
    (Excruciating detail. As if you had to explain this to someone who's never seen, or knows thing one about an oil furnace)

    -Neatens. (Speaks for itself)

    -New information that may not have been covered in class.
    (In other words. I have to try and stump my Forced Air Instructor, and come up with something he's never heard of.)

    So the air thing I was talking about.
    Anything on the furnace that has to deal with air. That's my portion.

    Create a second diagram of the combustion process! The same rules apply as the first diagram.
    That's my assignment.
    BURNER MANUAL

    http://www.weil-mclain.com/sites/def...r-manual_1.pdf
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

    Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Medford, N.Y.
    Posts
    4,285
    Post Likes
    CircusEnvy hit it right on the head of the nail. If you want to get ANYWHERE in this trade reading & studying is in your future and always will be. So, try reading the following.This is strictly on the "combustion process" ,not on the hydronic side of things.


    RSES,SAM #630-30A-" Residential & Commercial Light Oil Burners" Part #1
    RSES,SAM #630-74 - " '' " " " " " " "" ,Part #2
    R.W. Beckett (burner)-"The Professional Serviceman's guide to oil heat savings" ,57 pgs.
    Beckett, - "For the Professional Serviceman-Guide to Oilheat" very similar to the above booklet.
    Beckett, "Equipment Catalog"
    Beckett, "Commercial Oil Burners"-
    Beckett, "Technical Information" Bulletins. (There are several dozen of them)
    Carrier, "Oil Furnace Efficiency Checkout"
    Carlin Burners- "Residential Oil Burner Guide"
    Sid Harvey's- "Trouble Shooting Guide" ,combustion and some other stuff.
    Sid Harvey's - "The Complete Guide to Residential Oil Burners"
    Sid Harvey's - "The Complete Guide to Residential Oil Heating"
    ARCO, "The Installation & Servicing of DOMESTIC OIL BURNERS" ,by Frank & Robert Mitchell
    NFPA, "NFPA 31-Standard for the Installation of Oil-Burning Equipment"
    Fueloil & Oil Heat Magazine- "Solving Service Problems"
    Honeywell- "Oil Controls"
    Burkhardt- "Domestic & Commercial Oil Burners"
    ESCO Press- "Combustion Analysis & Fuel Efficiency"
    George Lanthier( Firedragon Academy Text) "Advanced Residential Oilburners"
    Advanced Oil Heat- "A guide to Improved Efficiency" by PMAA(Petroleum Marketers Association of America) & BNL(Brookhaven National Lab).

    All of this info is just a little more than I can type out here.LOL!

    ALL a Good Read!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor MagazineThe place where Electrical professionals meet.