Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Likes

Evaporator temperature versus return air temperature

I was wondering what was the rule of thumb when looking at a RTU evaporater temperature (Saturation tempreature) versus the return air tempreature
    is there a basic number for how cold the evaorator should be in regards to the return air tempreature

Post Likes
    Most A coils are 20* coils if that's what you're asking. One can see the temp of the coil with a gauge set.

Post Likes
    I am asking about a roof top unit, slab coil. I am not asking what temperature drop across the coil I should be looking for but is there a say for instance certain temperature (saturated Pressure) that I shoul be looking for say at a 73 degree return air temperature

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by criss View Post
    I was wondering what was the rule of thumb when looking at a RTU evaporater temperature (Saturation tempreature) versus the return air tempreature
    is there a basic number for how cold the evaorator should be in regards to the return air tempreature
    This is called the evaporator TD and generally runs between 25-35° on normally operating systems. Lower SEER systems run higher TD's and higher SEER systems run lower TD's. The exact TD for any particular system will depend upon a number of factors including indoor/outdoor conditions, airlfow, etc., and under some circumstances it can run outside the range that I gave above. Also, as a rule of thumb, for every degree that the indoor temperature drops the coil temperature will drop a degree.

Post Likes
    73* RAT, 53* air temp off of evap coil, 33* freon inside evap coil. Old school

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    73* RAT, 53* air temp off of evap coil, 33* freon inside evap coil. Old school
    That isn't old school, that's ancient school.
    Looks like a 6-8 SEER system with that 40° TD. New school would be 73* RAT, 53* air temp off of evap coil, 43* freon inside evap coil.

Post Likes
    Thank You
    That is what I was looking for. Apprecite the help

Post Likes
    New school, 73-53-43* ? I thought the split would be the same , like 17 1/2* & 17 1/2*, like 73*-54 1/2*-43*.As in Old school being a 20-20split..

Post Likes
    Are you saying old school like 1979 the TD was 20 same as the delta T of 20

Post Likes
    NO!! I'm saying Ancient School, from the 60s,70s,80s,90s pretty much right upto/including the 10SEER stuff.As in post#5 & #8

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    New school, 73-53-43* ? I thought the split would be the same , like 17 1/2* & 17 1/2*, like 73*-54 1/2*-43*.As in Old school being a 20-20split..
    There's no logical reason for those differences to be numerically equal, as aesthetically pleasing as that might have been.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by criss View Post
    Are you saying old school like 1979 the TD was 20 same as the delta T of 20
    He was saying TD was 40°, deltaT 20°. On modern systems (10 SEER and above) a TD of 40° would be considered extremely high and would indicate a heat transfer issue. Exceptions would be systems in dehumidify mode with reduced airflow.

Post Likes
    so are you saying that I probably was tought that the TD and Delta where both 20 because that is what I was thinking when I wrote to the forum. I just couldnt believe that and was looking for conformation.
    It has been 36 years since I was in school. I normally dont look at this in my every day troubleshooting I was just looking at a invoice from one of my techs and was trying to see if this could be of assistance to reach a conclusion of what may be wrong

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast