Looking to get into the HVAC trade

What's going on guys, new member here. I've been lurking on this forum for about a month now and decided to make an account. And, as the title says, I'm looking to get into the hvac trade.

Now a little bit about me. Im a 23 year old living in upstate NY, Orange County area. I have been working consistently since I was 13. I've always liked physical fast hard labor. I've worked in restaurants, warehouses, retail stores, all those sort of things.

However, I've come to that point in my life where im tired of living check by check, and breaking my back for a place that isn't going to get me anywhere. I want to get my career in life started, and a job that pays you(for the most part) what you're worth. And after months of researching about hvac I feel like it's what I really want to do. Problem is, I have absolutely no experience with this. I've used a few hand tools and power tools in my life, but that's about as far as it goes. However I am eager to learn and dedicate myself to learning everything I can about this trade. I'm a pretty hard worker I like to think, so the hours and all of that isn't of any concern to me, I just want to be able to get my foot in the door have somebody give me the knowledge I need and chance to prove myself.

I signed up for a boces level 1 program that starts in about 2 weeks, and they give you your epa certificate at the end of the course if you pass the test. My only concern with it is that it is in total about 140-150 hours, 2 months long. I feel like that's nowhere near enough to teach me what I need to know in order to get my first job. There's also a level two that's about the same length, a little shorter actually, 100 hours; but even with that I don't know how much good it'll do me. This is the course here http://www.ouboces.org/CTE/CareerAca...ndplumbing.cfm and I would like to hear what you guys think about it.

Regardless of the length of the class, I plan to learn everything I can, get the best grades possible, and keep hitting the books as well as looking to get as much hands on experience as I can. I'd like to know what can I expect starting out in this trade with very little school experience, is my age a good age to get started in this trade or if it's too late, how the market for this job is in NY, any information is appreciated. So any advice or anything about the trade you guys have to share I would love to hear. Thanks to all, and happy to be a member of this forum.

I would go to your local union and start there since your in nj. Figure out what local is in your area go to the hall I would assume. The other guys will tell ya exactly. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Florida32796 View Post
    I would go to your local union and start there since your in nj. Figure out what local is in your area go to the hall I would assume. The other guys will tell ya exactly. Best of luck.
    thanks, will definitely be looking into the local union in the next few months and getting more information on it.