can you tell me what this is??

Hey all i was wondering if anyone could tell me what this is called... i thought maybe a transformer because its like it has a coil on the back... 120v on the top 24v on the bottom but on the brown part kinda has a switch diagram...

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/co...bddfb.jpg.html

A relay. 24V coil, with a normally open contact.

But with 120v on the top side.. weired but thanks

The relay allows the 24V circuit to control a device in the 120V circuit. It's common to use a lesser volt circuit (also called control voltage circuit) to control a higher volt circuit. A control relay, like this, is how this is done.

Ok thank you.

Hey man, i see you're still having issues with determining the problem with you're system from the thread that got locked down from boarding DIY. Confused on components, naturally, as not being trained to work on it. I know you're an electrician but my genuine advice would be to get a pro out there to look at your unit. You have a very simple electrical troubleshooting problem that a pro will be able to determine quickly, but not being familar with the components, how they work in the system and what does what and when can make for a big headache and a nasty guessing game. Which will in turn cost you more money and moreso time to get the A/C running again. You're free to do as you please, obviously, but that's just my honest opinion for you at this point to avoid a headache and guessing at what parts to swap out..

Coalminerwillis, I just looked at the thread Apprenticanic referred to. You really should take his advice. And I will no longer participate in this thread.

coalminerwillis

Call out a service company. This is not a DIY site.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?