Changing Thermostat?

I have a split-unit Payne heat pump with a two mercury bulb thermostat, I want to change to a digital thermostat, is this a hard task to do or should I wait and let the ac guy do it when he comes and cleans the system in a few weeks? Should I buy a particular one, will be getting it at Lowes.

Let the HVAC guy do it.

You'd be surprised how many times someone changes out their own.
    And ends up burning up far more expensive controls, then what they saved.

Keep in mind, that Lowes and Home Depot thermostats are not the same thermostats that HVAC contractors use.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If I had a dollar for everytime a customer called me to replace the thermostat after they tried on their own and mucked it up I could retire comfortably
    It is best to have a tech do it and he can also program the schedules for you and you will have had it done professionally.
    Love makes the world go around but cash pays the bills

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Let the HVAC guy do it.
    Keep in mind, that Lowes and Home Depot thermostats are not the same thermostats that HVAC contractors use.
    As in 'much cheaper'

Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    As in 'much cheaper'
    So should I let him supply the thermostat or buy it at Lowes on my own?

Better off buying it from him.

If you supply your own.
    And it stops working in the first year. And you call him/them out. You pay for a service call.

Decide what features you want.

And let them know when you call to set up the appointment.
    Contractor locator map

Quote Originally Posted by gcherry View Post
    is this a hard task to do or should I wait and let the ac guy do it when he comes and cleans the system in a few weeks? Should I buy a particular one, will be getting it at Lowes.
    If you can't answer that question yourself... then it's probably not something you should attempt. Without a basic understanding of electrical and controls, you're just matching wire colors and hoping for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I'll probably get bashed for this,
    Sure. Turn the power off, change the stat, turn power on.

Except...that's when the problems can REALLY start for a person inexperienced with HVAC controls.

Can anyone who's been in the field awhile honestly say they have NEVER accidentally miswired a thermostat, even after doing similar ones correctly?

For the OP...Home Depot and Lowe's won't be around to help if you make a mistake with wiring your thermostat. You may want to think about combining a thermostat installation by a pro with a spring maintenance/cleaning of your system. Kill two stones with one bird.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-16-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Removed Gary G. Instructions
    • Electricity makes refrigeration happen.
    • Refrigeration makes the HVAC psychrometric process happen.
    • HVAC pyschrometrics is what makes indoor human comfort happen...IF the ducts AND the building envelope cooperate.

A building is NOT beautiful unless it is also comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by shophound View Post
    Sure. Turn the power off, change the stat, turn power on.

Except...that's when the problems can REALLY start for a person inexperienced with HVAC controls.

Can anyone who's been in the field awhile honestly say they have NEVER accidentally miswired a thermostat, even after doing similar ones correctly?

For the OP...Home Depot and Lowe's won't be around to help if you make a mistake with wiring your thermostat. You may want to think about combining a thermostat installation by a pro with a spring maintenance/cleaning of your system. Kill two stones with one bird.
    In the last thermostats I replaced, the wires colors didn't match the terminals....so the written instructions if followed precisely would have caused some issues. I still somehow got the fan and cooling mixed up. Went back to the furnace and realized the colors changed yet again as 2 cables were sliced together. I guess it was too hard for whoever installed the furnace to to match up the same colors.

No need to bash you gary.

You decided to violate the rules.

So, because of you.

Thread closed.
    Contractor locator map