Convert Thermopride from oil burner to gas burner? Seeking advice

I’m looking for advice on whether to convert my existing Thermopride oil furnace to natural gas, or keep the system as is using oil.

Background:
    • Original 550-gallon underground oil tank from 1947 (insured) will be removed this spring.
    • Thermopride OL-105 with Beckett burner was installed September 2003, replacing the original oil furnace from 1947. Current efficiency is 85.25%.

Since the underground tank needs to be removed, I’m considering converting the Thermopride to natural gas. I have been receiving estimates to:
    1) remove the underground tank and switch out the oil burner for a natural gas burner in the Thermopride;
    2) remove the underground tank and replace with an indoor Roth tank.

According to Thermopride, the gas burner (a Wayne Combustion P250 burner) will get from 78-80% efficiency in the OL-105.

What I’m seeing based on the estimates is that it will cost about the same to switch to a gas burner as it will to install a new indoor oil tank, so price is a moot point.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of conversion in a Thermopride and what the results were? Is the burner loud? Is this a good idea? I’ve found some fuel price calculators online and current fuel costs even with the efficiency differences is around the same.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

While you're getting quotes, get a quote on a new 95% or better efficiency gas furnace. Not only will the efficiency be better than the oil or gas conversion but it would qualify for up to a $1500.00 tax credit. Also check into any rebates your gas supplier may have.
    "You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only ones who do what you do.".... Jerry Garcia
    "You just have to decide if you're a Tigger or an Eeyore,..I think you know where I stand on the great Tigger/Eeyore debate." Prof. Randy Pausch

When natural gas was cheap, oil to nat gas was a common conversion, alot of manufacturer's even had furnace lines where they used the same furnace with either a gas or oil burner. Today, I wouldn't convert anything. Either go with the basement tank or bite the bullet and change out to a 95% and let the tax credit help offset the cost. My opinion.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

lbf gave you exactly what you should do. Thats what I would do if it were my home.

If his #’s are correct going to gas at 95% may be a long pay back.

I appreciate the responses. I didn't know about the tax credit and that may make the numbers work. Thanks again.