Use leftover cooked corned beef or deli corned beef in this flavorful soup. Serve this soup with a salad and hot buttered biscuits for a delicious meal.
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
* 1 cup sliced celery
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 quarts chicken broth
* 1 1/2 cups chopped or julienne-cut carrots
* 1/2 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped, about 4 to 5 cups
* 1/4 cup pearled barley
* 1 small bay leaf
* 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
* 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 to 2 1/2 cups diced cooked corned beef, about 10 to 12 ounces
* 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, diced, undrained
* salt, to taste
Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and celery; sauté, stirring frequently, until tender. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, carrots, cabbage, and barley. Add the bay leaf, parsley, thyme, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in corned beef and tomatoes; increase heat and return to the boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Taste and add salt.
My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
I'm still dieting, trying to get my high school gut back. No potatoes for me. That was my first thought.
Me too. Atkins thing 26lbs so far. This dumb thread made go and by some deli corned beef and make Rubens and dang it we had to eat it off the plate, not allowed to have bread for a while. Oh well it was still good and the real swiss cz was awesome.