+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Undersized geothermal system?

Post Likes
    Phosphates in a Geo are you kidding

Post Likes
    ROFL 2nu2no. I was lokking at your avitar and at 1rst thought it was black trash bags at 2nd look. I thought No, it looks more like black fish. Then I realized it was the mid section of a motor cycle. Time for an eye test I guess.

Post Likes
    GSX1300BK it's 181.5 hp @ the crank or 163-165 hp @ the rear tire

Post Likes
    Right on it sounds like a sweet bike. I told my wife I need to get a another bike. It's been awhile since I've had one. She said ok as long as it has a side car for our daughter and she rides on back. She almost killed me when I expressed, That would defeat the whole pupose of getting a bike and the one I get won't have a passenger seat.

Post Likes
    the wife will never ride this one, she likes the Ultra Classic

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by redmondtech View Post
    I have been installing and servicing geothermal now for about three years. the company i work for is the biggest geothermal installers in central PA
    A few questions i must ask:

Why are you going open loop?
    What we have found is that the open loop system needs to have more flow then closed loop system due to the loop water and not being able to take advantage of an antifreeze. which brings up another problem what happens when temp. gets below freezing? even though the loop will be below the frost line (and since you are going with wells it is a better advantage) But pulling up ground water will bring in sediment which is going to plug your coaxle coil quicker then a closed loop would. and another problem with open loops or pump and dump is what happens when north carolina has a drought which occurs often in the southern climates. (i have a sister that lives in creedmore NC which is close tothe durham area.

Another good note to think about is each ton should have around 200 ft per ton or for every 1200 btu

First, if you are going open loop then you don't have to really worry about loop size. You simply need to insure that the inflow and return wells are as far a part as possible (at least 50 feet). If you can have them at different depths that helps also. Do make sure to go deep enough to avoid drought issues.

Redmontech: Your post confuses me on several fronts. You state open loops need more flow because they can not take advantage of antifreeze. Everything I ever see is that the antifreeze has less heat transfer than water and requires more pump power too. This should mean that an open source unti would require slightly less flow - not more. Can you explain your logic or why your company is seeing the reverse of what engineering predicts and most other companies have found? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in