carrier heat pump replacement and infinity compatibility

Need to have a 4 ton Carrier heat pump replaced. The contractor has proposed either a 19 seer 25HNA948A003 or a 16 seer 25HNA648A003. same coil with either outdoor unit, a CNPHP4821ATA. The existing furnace is about 10 years old and works fine, and is a 58mvp-100 weathermaker infinity variable speed furnace. Right now there are 4 zones controlled by a Comfort Zone 2 controller.

My question is this furnace compatible with communicating infinity components like the proposed new heat pumps, and should a zoning Infinity controller be installed (or is it necessary)? Any thoughts on the differences between the 16 and 19 seer heat pumps besides the efficiency?

Thanks,

Greg

I like the Infinity 19's use of a scroll compressor, which also provides simultaneous stage changes and a slightly lower dBA value (sound). How small are your zones? The lower capacity in stage 1 of the Infinity 16 may make it a better option. Your 10-year old furnace, as far as I know, is not like the Infinity's today with the communicating capability (feel free to correct). Therefore, being the main part of the system in the communicating system, I see no real benefit of the Infinity controls, and in fact I don't think they can be used with that older furnace. On that zone panel you'll have to stick with standard thermostats.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    First I'd be sure to get one that qualifies for the $1500,federal tax credit.

If the HNA can work with the existing furnace and zoning it's a good investment,in the future the furnace and zoning can be upgraded to Infinity as well.

If you like the curent zoning ,you'll love the Infinity zoning zoning,everyone we chage out raves about it.

This is for a friend's house - I have an infinity controller and hybrid heat setup at my house and I've watched it vary the blower speed based on outdoor temp and humidity conditions. Will his existing setup allow for this as well, or will it just run the 2 stage heat pump at 2 fixed blower speeds? I looked at the manual for his furnace, and according to the diagrams in it, I didn't see an ABCD connector listed. So could he get an infinity controller to get the status and error reporting from the heat pump and let it manage the zoning and furnace as well, or is that just a waste given that the furnace is non communicating?

Thanks,

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by gcole View Post
    This is for a friend's house - I have an infinity controller and hybrid heat setup at my house and I've watched it vary the blower speed based on outdoor temp and humidity conditions. Will his existing setup allow for this as well, or will it just run the 2 stage heat pump at 2 fixed blower speeds? I looked at the manual for his furnace, and according to the diagrams in it, I didn't see an ABCD connector listed. So could he get an infinity controller to get the status and error reporting from the heat pump and let it manage the zoning and furnace as well, or is that just a waste given that the furnace is non communicating?

Thanks,

Greg
    its a waste. he won't get the benefits of the control in regular opetaion or the control of the infinity zoning. either he should get the performance hpeat pump with a new coil or go all the way with the infinity package. zoning control heat pump and the ics furnace.

Confused

Better check to see if the 25hna9 will work with existing zone set up!!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by heatpumpguru View Post
    Better check to see if the 25hna9 will work with existing zone set up!!!
    I believe he has a 2 stage carrier heat pump now - is there something in particular to watch out for with the 25hna9? I don't know the size of the zones offhand, but I would estimate that the 4 zones are probably about 3000 sq ft total. If he keeps his existing zone control/thermostat (comfort zone II), what would be the problem with the 19 seer unit? I think RyanHughes was talking about that as well? Maybe I could get the model numbers of the existing heat pump if that would help.

Thanks,
    Greg

It is what I heard that the 19 only works with INFINITY zone system because of the RF and the 4 wires.I had a 19 in my home with ARZEL and the Carrier rep told me this and I took it out and put in a 16 NO problem.The 19 had a mind of it's own and I put it in and then zoned the home later on and without tearing the house apart ARZEL was the only way I could go.

Be careful what you choose! On the upper end Carrier equip such as the 19 seer HP they are proposing, you HAVE to have the infinity control to operate properly. With that the zoning needs to be infinity compatable also. If what you say is true and your Carrier furnace is 10 yrs old this will not have the updated Infinity controls in it. I think to make your existing system work you will have to go with a lower seer HP that does not require Infinity controls, or change out everything.

The 16 has 50/50 split and works better wth most zone set ups better,you can use it with the zone set up you have unless you take out everything and upgrade ALL zone stuff with INFINITY

what are the requirements for the tax credit Dash was talking about? Would the 16 seer meet them?

Thanks,

Greg

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by gcole View Post
    what are the requirements for the tax credit Dash was talking about? Would the 16 seer meet them?

Thanks,

Greg
    Heat pump,15 SER,12.5 EER,8.5 HSPF.

Gas furnace,95%

30% of installed cost,up to $1500.00.

My understanding would be if they installed the heat pump,they would qualify,with the old furnace,but I'm not in a gas market,so see what others say.