Confused Lennox XP15 heat pump, CBX32M blower coil, EvenHeater & Vision 8000 help

Hi,
    I was wondering if you could help explain in detail how my residential heating and cooling system supplies heating & air conditioning. I have a Lennox XP15 heat pump, CBX32M blower coil, EvenHeater Supplemental Heater & a Honeywell Vision 8000 thermostat.

I'm confused about the heating stages mostly. If I set the thermostat to 70 & the indoor temperature is 69, the thermostat calls for heat. The heat pump is first stage, I believe, but I'm confused about the EvenHeater Supplemental Heater 'Temperature Selection Jumper' settings (85, 100, 115 or 130 degrees) and what part they play in the first stage heating, if any, and the second stage heating. I had the 'Jumper' on 130 degrees and my electric bill was enormous so I backed it down to 85 degrees, but the forced air seems too cool so I recently moved the 'Jumper' to the 100 degrees setting. Where should the 'Jumper' be set? When does the EvenHeater activate? How does the EvenHeater work? What does the 'Temperature Selection Jumper' setting mean?

My system was installed by a local, professional company. I just am a little confused about how it all works together.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by partiers_com View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering if you could help explain in detail how my residential heating and cooling system supplies heating & air conditioning. I have a Lennox XP15 heat pump, CBX32M blower coil, EvenHeater Supplemental Heater & a Honeywell Vision 8000 thermostat.

I'm confused about the heating stages mostly. If I set the thermostat to 70 & the indoor temperature is 69, the thermostat calls for heat. The heat pump is first stage, I believe, but I'm confused about the EvenHeater Supplemental Heater 'Temperature Selection Jumper' settings (85, 100, 115 or 130 degrees) and what part they play in the first stage heating, if any, and the second stage heating. I had the 'Jumper' on 130 degrees and my electric bill was enormous so I backed it down to 85 degrees, but the forced air seems too cool so I recently moved the 'Jumper' to the 100 degrees setting. Where should the 'Jumper' be set? When does the EvenHeater activate? How does the EvenHeater work? What does the 'Temperature Selection Jumper' setting mean?

My system was installed by a local, professional company. I just am a little confused about how it all works together.

Thanks for your time.

this heater maintains supply duct temperature depending on the setting(85, 100, 115, 130),

the reason your power bill was so high is all your strip heat is running just to maintain 130 supply temp. the lower the setting , the lower the bill.....

i recommend you have the company who installed it to come out to set it properly, if you don't know what you are doing you could mess up the unit or yourself....
    You're only as good as your customer will allow you to be.........If they want junk, sell them junk, but make your junk look neat!!!

Ok, so even without the call for Stage 2 heat from the thermostat, the EvenHeater will provide heat on it's own after a few minutes if the forced air temperature inside the air ducts provided by the Stage 1 heat (heatpump) doesn't match the 'Temperature Selection Jumper' setting on the EvenHeater??? I think a thermometer called a 'thermistor' is monitoring the forced air temperature inside the air ducts to make sure it is reaching that setting.

And if my home air temperature doesn't reach my thermostat setting after a few minutes, the thermostat calls for Stage 2 heat from the EvenHeater also? I found a installation document (attached) that says, "...in heat pump applications, when the heat pump is on and a W1 demand is present from the indoor thermostat, the control board temperature setting will automatically increase to the next highest setting. Once the W1 demand is satisfied or removed, the control board temperature setting will automatically return to the jumper setting."

Am I understanding correctly that the EvenHeater does 2 things? Maintains the forced air duct temperature at the Temperature Selection Jumper setting and also acts as Stage 2 heat, when called by the thermostat, by providing enough heat up to the next temperature setting above the 'Jumper' setting? (settings are 85, 100, 115 or 130 degrees).

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes.

If you want comfort, you set it to maintain a temp that you like the air from the registers to be. Of course, you pay a higher electric bill, the higher the temp setting is.

The question is, are you looking more for comfort, or economic operation.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The 100 degree setting on the EvenHeater has been working better for comfort & economy.

Any ideas how long my Honeywell Vision 8000 thermostat waits until it activates the Stage 2 heat and if the words 'Aux heat' or 'Emerg heat' should appear on the display? I never seem to see anything on the thermostat display. Any idea how long the EvenHeater Supplemental Heater waits between heating stages before it activates the next heating element?

Thanks.

The stat may never call for aux heat, because of the evenheat.

The even heat brings on as many heaters as it needs to maintain the air temp you set.
    Contractor locator map

Ok, so even though the EvenHeater EHC1 control board's 'Temperature Selection Jumper' is set to 85 degrees, it will activate (up to) all 4 heating elements in stages when the heat pump is on and a 'W1' demand is present from the indoor thermostat?

Neither Lennox nor any local techs can answer questions about how the EvenHeater operates under a W1 demand so I'd thought I'd throw it out there to see if anybody has any information.

See pages 5 & 6 of the attached document above. It states that, 'In heat pump applications, when the heat pump is on and a 'W1' demand is present from the indoor thermostat, the (EvenHeater's) control board temperature setting will automatically increase to the next higher setting. Once the 'W1' demand is satisfied or removed, the control board temperature setting will automatically return to the jumper setting'.

Does this mean that when a 'W1' demand is present, it will only activate up to 1 more heating element above the jumper setting or will it energize all 4 as necessary, in stages? I have the jumper on the lowest setting (85 degrees) so I'm wondering if only the 1st two elements are activated.

Thanks.

It will bring on however many elements it needs to maintain the discharge temp you set, plus one additional element.

If 2 are already on, it will bring a third on.
    If 3 are on, it will bring the fourth on.
    Contractor locator map

Ok, making sense now. I'm gaining a better understanding. Thank you for your patience.

Let me see if I got this straight...

For example:

EvenHeater EHC1 control board's 'Temperature Selection Jumper' is placed at the lowest possible setting (85 degrees).
    Thermostat is set at 70 degrees.
    My home is 69 degrees.
    Thermostat calls for stage 1 heating: heat pump.
    While in heating, the EvenHeater monitors home airduct temp. & if home airduct temp. does not reach 85 deg. after 'x' amount of time, the EvenHeater's #1 element turns on to supplement the heat pump (even though the thermostat did not call for stage 2 heat yet).
    It's pretty cold out and the heat pump & the EvenHeater's #1 element can't keep up so the thermostat calls for stage 2 heating after 'x' amount of time because the 70 degree thermostat setting is not reached.
    The EvenHeater's #2 element turns on to supplement the heat pump as directed by the thermostat.

Is this somewhat accurate?

Thanks.

Pretty much so.
    Contractor locator map