Confused Carrier ComfortLink control alarm

I have a Carrier ComfortLink controller on a chiller compressor (30 GTN 020-D-6)that frequently alarms after 5-10 min. of running with the code: A051 (circuit A, compressor failure) upon start up and occasionally after it has been running for quite a while. I would like to to know what is the nature of this alarm and how to fix it, please help!:confused
    Last edited by Stephen Doyle; 03-14-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: More info.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Doyle View Post
    I have a Carrier ComfortLink controller on a chiller compressor that frequently alarms out with the code: A051 (circuit A, compressor failure) upon start up and occasionally after it has been running for quite a while. I would like to to know what is the nature of this alarm and how to fix it, please help!:confused
    Post this in the commercial forum and provide a model number. You'll get better responses that way.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

Moved to commercial

Does this happen in cold weather?
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

If I remember, for that model, you might have a LLSV sticking closed or like said earlier, too cold ambient.
    "Excellence is the gradual result of always striving to do better"
    -Pat Riley

I had the same problems on carrier chillers and it turned out they had a service bulletin issued on the feedback relays- werent providing enough contact pressure to pass voltage to the micro,changed out relays with new ones,problem went away.

UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Hello Stephen, I am having the same problem with a chiller compressor 30 GTN 020-D-6, it is alarming with the code: A051, could you fix your problem? and what did you do for fix it?

Regards

The alarm is generated because the Compressor feedback signal does not match relay state. The possible causes are: High-pressure or loss-of charge switch open, faulty control relay or CPCS board, loss of condenser air, liquid valve closed. The control relay failing to send the signal back is the most common cause of the fault. If you are not seeing a high pressure alarm replace the control relays. The new relays are stronger so that they hold the contact closure better. If you are really scared you can order a kit from Carrier that puts a second relay parallel to the first. That was the original fix; That kit may not be available anymore because of the higher quality relays. You can usually identify the relay issue because the same compressors will have the fault. Change CR A1 with CR B1 or any other compressor that is not having the alarm and see if the alarm moves to the B compressor. If it does change the CR