Post Likes

Single Stage Heat/Dual Stage Cool

Hi! Just a quick question. Two years ago I had a single stage/multiple speed 80% furnace installed (Coleman G8C). I am thinking of upgrading the cooling this year. Is it possible to get a 2 stage cooling system to work with this furnace? I know I would at least have to get a 2 stage thermostat. I thought maybe there was a way since the furnace has multiple speeds. Thanks!

Post Likes
    If by saying multi-speed you mean variable speed, then you should be able to do it. I have a feeling you don't have a variable speed due to it being a single stage furnace. I'm not familiar with Coleman, so who knows for sure.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jclaar View Post
    Hi! Just a quick question. Two years ago I had a single stage/multiple speed 80% furnace installed (Coleman G8C). I am thinking of upgrading the cooling this year. Is it possible to get a 2 stage cooling system to work with this furnace? I know I would at least have to get a 2 stage thermostat. I thought maybe there was a way since the furnace has multiple speeds. Thanks!
    The "multi-speed" refers to the air handler fan motor.

You can get a 2-stage condenser and a matching indoor coil, but you really need a variable speed air handler motor to get the best efficiency out of that 2-stage condenser. If you don't have a v-s motor, I wouldn't go any higher than a 14 SEER system because you won't obtain the higher SEER rating without a v-s motor.

Good luck.

Post Likes
    Okay. Thanks for the fast replies!

Post Likes
    if you wanted to use a 2 stage unit adding a relay to control fan speed would be easy to do.

would not get the rating of a v drive blower but it would work.

can't go into details but contractor should know how to do it.

we had 2 stage units a long time before we had v drive blowers.

Post Likes
    Great! I thought I read somewhere else about relays. Thanks again. Also, are the media filters worth the extra money? (hijacking my own thread!)

Post Likes
    Yes they are, if the duct work is sized right.

Your multispeed won't slow down enough to take full advantage of 2 stage cooling.
    It won't have the full ability to remove humidity in first stage cooling.

How ever.
    You can either have a fan speed control installed, or a VS motor upgrade installed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?